Universal Skylanders Battlegrounds - (by Activision) - Universal App

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Nov 20, 2012.

1. ns804apps

ns804apps Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Richmond, VA
    my son loves this game on the Wii doe sit play on the ipod touch? and what do I need to pick up for him to play it on that device? could be some christmas presents?

As fr as price you pay 50 or 60 for the game on a gaming console why not get 7-8 for a solid game developed well with great art work and graphics?

I think to many people are expecting al apps to be free or in the Freemium model developers have to make money folks to keep producing apps that we all love.

2. xxteargodxx

xxteargodxx Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Male
    NJ
    So with this game we can pay to unlock skylanders characters digitally?

3. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    It's 6.99 with iap and I don't like that nothing against the game I like spyro glad they are continuing him but the devlopers wanting more money for the game is crazy premeium should be just that premeium

4. TheClaff

TheClaff Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Senior Producer, Bethesda Game Studios
    Bethesda, Maryland
    They must have some crazy new compression this game is listed at 660mb or so but it's taking over 45 minutes to install.

5. Laire

Laire Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Overworked Graphic Designer :)
    Just reading the description of the "benefits" gained from buying the box set (with figures, portal and treasure chest) revealed this awhile ago.

•Exclusive platinum treasure chest packed with in game rewards
    •Over 100 power items including health potions, elixirs, shields, bombs
    •Light of the Champions Gem - level 4x faster with your characters
    •Power Item Bag - carry the maximum amount of power items into battle

So basically, buying just the app gives you a version of the game where your ability to level up is artificially restricted, you can't use as many items in battle, you don't get a set of "premium gifts," and presumably you won't be able to level up an actual figure if you use the 10-digit ID code to bring them into the game instead of a portal. (Assuming the levels in this actually go onto the figure.)

I'm holding off until we learn more about the game and if it's a "throw money at the problem to get more Power Items" kind of game. If the Light of the Champions is a Platinum Treasure Chest exclusive or has a hefty real-life price tag to it, I'll probably pass on this.

6. xxteargodxx

xxteargodxx Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Male
    NJ
    I was interested but after watching the video jt seems to be a strategy game? Or something like that? I was hoping it would be free roam.

7. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Sooo... it's a freemium game with a $50 OAP (Out of App Purchase) that grants you a place to use your existing characters as well as a handful of bonus IAP consumables.

8. SteveW

SteveW Active Member

Sep 19, 2011
    You couldn't be more wrong. there is nothing in this game forcing you to buy anything, no IAP and you don't even have to buy any additional characters, you can earn them in the game if you want. This is a great game!

9. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I've been playing this for the last hour or so, and its pretty darn fun. The Bluetooth portal works fantastically, and my boys love the figures. The game is a pretty simple RTS-lite game, but the controls are great, the sound and music are wonderful, and the graphics are lavish and lush. I don't see this as being an IAP fest any more than Cloud Patrol, which is to say, not at all. Activision was smart to take this platform seriously and offer multiple Skylanders experiences that aren't cheap knock offs. Now with the portal and figurine compatibility for all three iOS Skylanders games, this platform is an equal to the other platforms in many ways.

10. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I see Bucket of Gems and Pile of Gems entries under the top IAP list entry for this app... How exactly again was he wrong about that? That sounds exactly like what he is talking about!

On a side note: isn't it rather sad that a 37 year old man is considering going out and buying the $49 Bluetooth package deal... For himself! But I agree with the other guy, if I spend premium price on a game, I get skittish at the idea of IAP currencies because you never know how aggressive the model is going to be used for a game. I like to know that when I pay that kind of money I am not going to be psychologically enticed to buy IAP currency purely because the game restricts progression in gameplay in such a way to either warrant it or progress at a snails pace.

In any case I wait this one out... Or just tell my wife to snag it for me a birthday gift tomorrow! I don't know, I am torn! I buy these damn things for my kids and then I wind up getting sucked into collecting them... There should be a program for this...

11. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Same here. I think my kids love this side of me… :D

12. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Well, there's a difference between offering IAP and creating a model that forces you to use it. So far, it doesn't seem like IAP is necessary to progress in the game. Like many other IAP models, it's there for people who want to be a bit overpowered, or want to unlock all of the characters right away.

13. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    The problem is that one would never know that barring the premium price. Even word of mouth is not entirely reliable in this case as play-styles vary from person to person, and what is acceptable to one may jot be to another. I have bought games at premium with aggressive IAP, I have also downloaded freemium games in which the IAP model was not aggressive. The problem is not know what you are going to dive into, and I'd rather not spend money on a game that uses aggressive IAP model then pay the entrance fee and find out afterward. I think that is the apprehension some have toward it is all. By no means do I have sticker shock at an app I want... I just like to know that when I pay the price that I won't be coerced to pay more.

Look at the dialogue here: some are willing (myself included) to go out and spend $50 on the package as it seems a more complete deal than paying $6.99. It's not just about the money, its about the perception of what a consumer is getting for that money!

14. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I understand what you're saying. I'm certainly no IAP apologist. I hate them. I bought the $50 starter pack because my boys were interested in the figures and portal and they play with my iPad more than the wii or Xbox.

15. Laire

Laire Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Overworked Graphic Designer :)
    As you say, it's all a matter of perception and perspective.

An optimist looks at the list of benefits in the $50 package and says, "Hey, cool! I can get a 4x XP bonus if I buy this!"

A realist looks at that same list and says, "I see. I only get 25% of the XP that I'm SUPPOSED to be earning unless I give them more money."

16. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    Exactly! I just want to know that when I pay for something, I am done and any other desire to pay more is on my terms, not a games mechanics towards coercing that decision. It's the same reason ill throw money at games like Punch Quest yet won't spend a dime on timer FarmVille-alike games...

17. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    the game is very fun for me~ battleheart like with skylanders characters?
    BOUGHT!!

18. SteveW

SteveW Active Member

Sep 19, 2011
    if you want to start collecting all the characters (not necessary) then buying them gems will get you there faster but nobody really needs them, you earn them while playing anyway. The IAP is not necessary at all, just there for impatient people.

19. Themagicjesus

Themagicjesus Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Staying away from this seven dollar IAP filled freemium "Buy the collectables like Pokemon" piece of crap.

20. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Anyone else having any problems redeeming their character codes in this game? I tried a whole bunch last night and only got about three or four to work. I hope this is just a bug and that they will eventually work in this game. I have the original codes for about 50 characters, and it would be really disappointing if I still had to earn all the characters in the game too (though the game does seem pretty fun - and I am sure I would play enough to do that).