Nasty competition! Absolutely ridiculous

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Syndicated Puzzles, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

We built a water app called "Absorb Water" for people that hate the taste of water. We calculate the water content from 12 different sources. So we promoted the app correctly had it reviewed by many sites, press releases etc. Noticed quickly that a company with an app for athlete's water consumption (the exact opposite of our target market) would always add in the comment section of the review sites or iTunes, how our app was made by people that make puzzles and that their app was made by doctors. They went on talking about how great their app was and how bad our app compared to theirs. We received 1 star reviews from this group as well with the exact same comments on itunes!

These people have elephant balls! I have promoted my product shamefully as well (guilty), but find it repulsive when people bash other products simply because they are considered competition. If you are going to bash someone try to do it a little more secretive and don't leave elephant droppings all over the place.
    After a threat they did clean up some of the nasty comments. A lot of the review sites actually got pissed off and removed the comment or removed the review altogether.

Wondering if anyone has had similar encounters?

2. sokaroka

sokaroka Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Not personally a developer, but here on TA we often get complaints about companies either posting negative things on other apps, without actually using them, or companies commenting on their own, and rating them again and again.

It disgusts me.
    I think it's worthy of their dev account being frozen/banned and all their apps taken down from the store.

Since I'm not a dev, there really isn't any more I can say, but am interested to see if any other devs have had experience with this, so will be following this thread.

3. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Don't pay attention to such worthless people, they don't deserve it.

The quality of your app is the only thing that can pound these ridiculous persons to the ground. What's better : if they've come to the point of using such dirty techniques, it's because they feel in danger in front of you.

Forget them, and while they spend energy to trick you, spend yours into giving more quality to your app, it will pay 10 times more than this.

4. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    sadly, I have heard a couple of instances of this type of thing happening (and I am sure it's happened way more than I have heard). it's a hard thing to fight against, all you can really do is focus on the positives as others have mentioned above (and try to present as polished an app as possible). Calling out your detractors is not necessarily a bad thing either (send them a shame on you, "will be hearing from our lawyer if you don't stop it" even if you haven't got a lawyer type message)

Money can sometimes bring out the worst in people...

5. steelfires

steelfires Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Candy Mountain, Charlie!
    yeah, it's sad. prob because of all the competition in the market now. people are trying everything to boost up their sales.

6. robotmechanic

robotmechanic Active Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Character Rigger
    Tokyo, Japan
    I totally agree. c0re, are you a fan of Ayn Rand by the way?

You can counter their app by making yours better and listening to your customers. Their tactics are just a desperate cry and in the long run, it won't make their apps any better.

Keep innovating and inspiring! ;)

7. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    When you write an app review, it actually tells you not to compare it to other apps on the store. You could definitely report it.

8. bigbadbrush

bigbadbrush Well-Known Member

I just experienced the same thing on our youtube game trailer page. Someone had the guts to bash our trailer saying iphone games are lame and than followed it by promoting his OWN game! And it was irritating since his game is in completely different genre and for a different console.

9. For what it's worth, BBB, I enjoyed the art style of your app. [I believe I said as much earlier.]

It's a dog-eat-dog world out there. Be strong!

10. gareth.jenkins

gareth.jenkins Active Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Founder and lead developer at Deckbound
    Agreed - this is actually in Apple's TOS (or associated guidelines - can't remember which).

Not heard of any evidence of them enforcing it, but it's likely that offenders would just walk away -- and wouldn't be the type to be discussing stuff in public anyway.

G.

11. sokaroka

sokaroka Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2009
    An example of this, not the same, but similar concept, is Tim Langdell.
    If you haven't heard he tried to charge anyone who used the word "Edge" in their game.
    You can't claim rights to a word as simple as that.
    Several game devs had to take their games down from the store.
    He recently tried to have a go at EA for Mirrors Edge, but was unsuccessful, and action is finally being taken against him.
    There was an article on the main page a little while ago, you may have seen it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edge_Games#Electronic_Arts_petition_for_trademark_cancellation

12. bigbadbrush

bigbadbrush Well-Known Member

That is insane. Who can trademark a word?! This Tim guy needs to get a life.