Piracy rate for Bear Paw in first three days look to be 75%

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by pocketfun, Nov 21, 2009.

1. pocketfun

pocketfun Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Macro Studio Owner
    Stevenage, England
    #1 pocketfun, Nov 21, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
    So some of you may be aware that I released a new game this week called Bear Paw. If you don't know what it is you can read the thread here:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=33512

and a user review here:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=33771

Anyway from the quick calculation I've done it would look like the piracy rate is 75% or only 1 in 4 copies being played were purchased.... Be interesting to see if that is sustained and what the play profile of the pirate copies are over time.

2. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    i suggest doing something like cod: nazi zombies did...make a cracked version for the piracy users

3. tukun

tukun Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    #3 tukun, Nov 21, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
    how you come up with the 418%?
    but ya it sucks getting ripped off like that. hope Bear Paw will have reasonable sale, enough so you wont have to worry about ppl pirating it

4. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    What did COD:WAW NZ do? I really want to know and laugh at my 'friends' who illegally downloaded it.

5. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    Yeah, surely 1 in 4 would be a 75% piracy rate?

Still, that's pretty terrible.

6. Kerrby

Kerrby Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Australia
    Does that mean you can't play online or something?

7. MrSpud

MrSpud Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Custom finishing carpenter
    Wasaga beach, Ontario, Canada
    100% would mean that every copy is pirated, it can't be more than 100%, that's not how you calculate it, read Palfince comment.

But yeah, that suck...

8. sic

sic Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Philippines
    do what meteor blitz did. They let you play the first world and after that they said to buy the game for the full experience. its on Alley Lab's site.

9. pocketfun

Feb 6, 2009
    Macro Studio Owner
    Stevenage, England
    Yes your quite right should be 75%, take it from shock of working out the number and forgetting to do the last step in to %s

10. Harpgliss

Harpgliss Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    Hi,

This is a shame.

Unfortunately, the popularity of the Iphone brings out all the pirates.

Then again, it also gives us all these great developers that we need to support.

I do hope this does not keep you from further development.

Wish there was a simple solution here but there does not, unfortunately.

Good luck with the game and I really hope the legal numbers go up.

David

11. Blueseas25

Blueseas25 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I think you have to put an asterisk next to those numbers. That is terrible that your rates are so high, but I wonder just how many actual sales you lost. How many of those people really had no intention on buying the game anyway? If they couldn't pirate it, would they have bought it? I have a feeling there are alot of people who try everything, just because they can.

Still sucks to hear piracy is so rampant, especially considering the prices of these applications. I think if you cannot afford a dollar or two every now and then, you probably should not have purchased an Iphone\touch in the first place.

12. Harpgliss

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    Hi,

It really does not matter if they did not intend to buy, do not pirate something that someone put a lot of time, effort, and money into as a way to support themselves and/or family.

There is no rationalizing that makes sense.

Sorry for the rant, just this subject is important and needs to be addressed.

David

13. aloepar1

aloepar1 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    USA
    Do a free app with DLC like ngmoco is doing. You give the first level for free and purchase the rest from the inside. Auditorium is doing something similar.

14. Harpgliss

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    Hi,

As a customer, the Ngmoco method does not work for me.

I am in the minority but I have stayed away from their offerings a result of this.

David

15. Blueseas25

Blueseas25 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I am not trying to rationalize piracy, nor am not saying it is right, but just what I think is happening. Unfortunately, every industry whether its movies\music\computer games\xbox\ps3 or the app store deals with huge amounts of piracy. Every DVD can be cracked, every computer game can be cracked, every app can be cracked. That is the way it has been and until we all have to login to NSA supercomputers to hyper analyze everything we own for authenticity, the way it will probably remain.

Honestly, If they can successfully crack Windows7\XP\Vista, products that come from the one of the richest companies in the world, I don't hold much hope of Apps becoming uncrackable.

16. Harpgliss

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    Hi,

Blueseas25, apologies if my post implied you were ratonalizing piracy, that was not my intent.

My point was that any reason is the wrong reason for piracy.

Just your post brought up a reason that pirates use, not that you were rationalizing it.

You are right, it will continue to happen but hopefully by discussing it, we can change some mindsets and hopefully curb the piracy.

David

17. pocketfun

Feb 6, 2009
    Macro Studio Owner
    Stevenage, England
    So sales are consistent, but the piracy rate has picked up to 87%

18. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    #18 c0re, Nov 23, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
    Which is the perfect statistic to prove that some pirates would have bought the game if they didn't pirate it.

If not, that piracy rate wouldn't grow faster than sales rates.

With such a number growing, this means that your game is gaining interest to pirates.

And if a product interests someone, he justs buys it, doesn't steal it.

As I said in another thread, I suggest you to send these stats to other serious gaming sites like Gamasutra, Pocketgamer, Slide2play, or even Macrumors and Engadget. They're often doing articles about piracy. Those numbers are interesting and could be analyzed to an article.

Mediatize piracy, so that Apple just gives it a damn.

19. linuslim

linuslim Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2009
    when sales is not as expected, it maybe due to market share. also mean that your game is not pick up well by people out there.

some of the best sellers games such as doodle jump or flight control also have many piracy but they also do very well in the mainstream.

20. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

PS3 games can be pirated now? o_O
    I must be missing some really important breakthrough then, since I remember they weren't piratable just this September in the fastest pirate technology breakthrough country. =O