Would you pay $9.99 for an iPhone Game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Fistfulofdlrz, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Fistfulofdlrz

Fistfulofdlrz Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    With the average price of iPhone games around the $2 mark, what does a game need to have to justify a $9.99 price tag?

Is there a place for $9.99 games on the iPhone?

Or is iPhone gaming going to be in the .99 to 4.99 range.

2. Twazzock

Twazzock Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    No.

Make this into a poll.

3. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Yes, have done it several times when big name games first get released.

4. Fistfulofdlrz

Fistfulofdlrz Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Well thought out ;)

5. Hitch

Hitch Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    The Lonely Island
    I would and I have. Assasin's Creed started at ten. Doom Resurrection, ten. Rolando 1 and 2... Started at ten. Most of the time, the bigger, more high quality games are ten. (Now there are exceptions, like Gomi and a few others that still have depth and are under 5 bucks.) But yes. :D

6. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Yep...Real racing, rolando, Doom res, all bought at ten dollars and all in my opinion are worth the money. Shoot I've probably beaten doom on nightmare difficulty like 12 times.

7. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    yea, I have like 3 or 4 $9.99 apps

8. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I'd have a hard time paying $10 for an iPhone game for several reasons:

1) There are a lot of good games for less.
    2) It seems that a lot of expensive games 'Peggle' and can be gotten cheaper if you pay attention.
    3) I really do wonder about the lifespan of this platform. My Atari2600 still works after 30+ years, will my iPod Touch games be playable in 30 years?
    4) The control that Apple(and to some extent, developers) has over the games still scares me a bit - for a long time I had a title that kept showing me updates available in iTunes, but since the item had left the US store I couldn't get them (nor could I redownload the app if I lost it's file) and nothing prevents a developer from making the game you paid for free with adds, which you either have to put up with or keep an old copy on hand, not update it and put up with iTunes telling you to update...

That being said, the most expensive game I've purchased is The Quest at $5.99, because I really enjoy that sort of game. I've purchased a few titles at $4.99 (iSyn and SIIE) everything else I've paid a dollar or two for.

9. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    only bought 4 things at $9.99: 2 x-planes, nfsu, and 3.0

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I don't see why future smartphones would remove any current features, any iDevice Apple makes in future would likely be the same thing with everything upgraded and new stuff thrown on top... and I'm pretty sure they won't just stop making phones altogether :) Sure, in 10 years time all this stuff could look outdated and retro, but whichever device they have at the time would likely at least be able to run it as an emulator with relative ease.

11. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Games... No

Apps... Yes

I haven't spent $10 for a game yet, but I've already spent $10+ on other apps (Beatmaker, BeeJive, Noise.io)

12. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Beejive is $10? :eek: I got it on a sale but I didn't know that was the original price.

13. DannyV

DannyV Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Graphic Designer
    Oh no doubt I would. I've done it at least 8-10 times or so. I don't mind spending on quality games. Quality deserves the $10 price tag. That's any game with high production value, that has a story line or story mode, and has a play time of 4-5 hours or so. I don't like long games and I don't expect long games at the $10 price point.

14. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Quick question: Are you a developer.....or just a cheapskate? ;)
    I'd like to see more games with a $9.99 and higher price. I think it's sad that app store prices seem to be influenced by the spending preferences of 13-year-olds with The Minigore Mentality.

I hope that eventually there will be a "premium games" section of the app store where I can browse PSP-quality games, without wasting time wading through all the crapps. :rolleyes: There are some 99-cent gems, but there is far more junk at that price point.

15. DannyV

DannyV Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Graphic Designer
    THANK YOU!!! +1 awarded :D

16. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Do all of your MacOS 9 programs run OK under X? I can't seem to run iPod games on my iPod Touch... :rolleyes:

17. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    There are a couple games that I've bought for $10 that are absolutely amazing, like Real Racing. 100% worth it for the price.

18. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    There are 9.99 games, I have bought some of them, and will buy more if they are worth the money, which in my honest opinion, all 9.99 games I have purchased have all been worth the cash.

I got BiA when it first came out, well worth the money. Rolando 2, well worth the money. Doom Ressurrection definitely worth the price of admission.

There is nothing wrong with it. As more of a hardcore gamer, I have payed way more for way worse of games.

19. qwerty12

qwerty12 Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2009
    here are the games I Bought for $10:
    super monkey ball-worth the price for me. Loved it
    crash bandicoot racing-originally was $10, not worth the price for me, had slow framerate bad steering and not many missions
    Rolando- not worth the price either because I found it to be kind of boring, I didn't even Finish the first world. Plus controls were a little hard for me to use

so as of now I won't pay $10 for a game (except for real racing) because the price is almost gauranteed to go down at some point and it's just not worth it to pay that much for a game I might not like

20. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    I have paid 50 bucks for a PSP game before, and I'd pay that much for a high quality iPhone game.

It would have to be a very good one though, with a lot of content.