Ski Champ coming soon! (OpenFeint enabled, Ski Free inspired)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by lazypeon, Nov 4, 2009.

1. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

#1 lazypeon, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
    I'm happy to announce that my second iPhone game, Ski Champ, should be available to download soon; just finished a final round of testing and will be submitting tomorrow.

Ski Champ is inspired by the classic Windows game, Ski Free. The gameplay is really simple -- ski down the mountain and avoid obstacles, including the dreaded Snow Monster! There are several OpenFeint enabled Leaderboards, including Freestyle (most trick points), Slalom (best time) and Distance (most distance before getting eaten). There are also several OpenFeint achievements to earn.

All in all, hopefully you guys will agree that this is a casual friendly pick-up-and-play type title. I'll be hosting some promotions to win some promocodes so stay tuned for more info!

[​IMG]

(Just to be clear, this is not a port or copy -- Microsoft owns the copyright for Ski Free. This is a Ski-Free inspired game that has many of the same elements)

2. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Ah... hopefully you wont get any problems with copyright. I remembered playing Ski Free but I never got the hang of it. I always end up dead from the stupid stick feet Bear :(

3. iGilo

iGilo Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Looks amazing dude, I just LOVE pixel art :)

Will it be tilt controlled? And what will the price be?

4. lazypeon

Patreon Bronze

It's touch controlled. I implemented tilt control as well, but it's too imprecise to really be effective. Price will be $0.99.

5. iGilo

iGilo Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Looks really good, just keep working on it!

6. lazypeon

Patreon Bronze

Quick announcement: this was submitted yesterday to Apple! I'm hoping the approval process isn't too backlogged, and I can get this out before the Thanksgiving holiday. Could be fun to do some relaxing on the slopes after a big turkey dinner :)

7. Avizzv92

Avizzv92 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    That entire era of games like Ski Free, Chips Challenge, Rodents Revenge, JezzBall were all awesome games. I would play them all the time on the computers at my grade school, which seems like years ago.

I to wish you luck on getting approved, and not running into any copyright issues. I'm working on a game inspired from Rodents Revenge, so if you can get in I hope I can with mine.

8. lazypeon

Patreon Bronze

Fun, I remember Rodent's Revenge as well :)

Honestly, I'm not too worried about the copyright. I'm not using the same name, graphics, or other material. It's sufficiently different from Ski Free to stand as its own game.

It's not much different than one of the any number of similar 3D snowboarding games. They all pretty much have the same gameplay elements, but exist as different games.

Of course, you never know with Apple :)

9. Avizzv92

Avizzv92 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    That's what I'm hoping, I'm using completely different graphics, code, and even unique gameplay. And their is hundreds of remakes in the app store...

10. MartiNZ

MartiNZ Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Got to agree there except I'm not familiar with Rodents Revenge. Ski Free was always good for a laugh, JezzBall was good for a challenge, and Chip's Challenge was good for a really long time playing with only two short synthy pieces of music. I was playing it in the early 2000s and got through it including the secret levels at the end thanks to a little Googling. The fan sites at the time ... or probably well before ... were discussing the possibility of getting a total score of 6 million, but it seemed it was just not quite possible

It would be cool to see some of those games coming through on the iPhone. 'Loopy Lab' did a decent job for what it did, but its 50 levels were pretty easy and it never saw an update :(.

As for Ski Champ, hopefully it is good for more than just a laugh; definitely seems like one to check out. Re the comment earlier about the stick feet bear, wikipedia calls him 'Abominable Snow Monster' - sounds a bit more scary :).

11. misfitskater6

misfitskater6 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    I'll grab this, SkiFree was always a fun game. I'd love to see Rodent's Revenge too!!! That game was awesome. :)