Not a game but very useful 'Song Exporter Pro' FREE for some hours

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by Habakuk, May 1, 2011.

1. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

#1 Habakuk, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011
    I am not the dev, just passing the info:

App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

Tried it. Works very well even from iDevice to iDevice. Does not require iTunes, AirPlay, jailbreak or additional software—a browser is enough. Access to your device can be protected by username/password.

Self-explaining and very easy to use. Just type the given (by Song Exporter) http… address in the browser's address bar. Download of songs: Highlight the line with the song name in the web interface with the right mouse button (or accordant touchpad gesture) and use the context menue. Tested with a Mac. Should work with smartphones of other brands as well.

The price for the app changes often, according to AppShopper.

2. How did that ever get approved? Apps aren't supposed to have direct access to music in your iPod library for this exact reason.

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    One of the new APIs in the iOS4 update gives apps direct access to the music library.

4. Well, I knew there was access to the music, which is what has made DJ apps and such possible (though on an unrelated topic, why haven't we seen any good visualizers that use this API yet, or music players that offer a full EQ?) -- poor choice of words. What I meant was I didn't think that it was possible to give full access through either uploading or a web interface to allow the user to physically grab the songs right off the device. The music industry has always pressured Apple to maintain tight enough security to prevent songs from being shared, despite Apple finally convincing the labels to ditch DRM, so it surprises me that they would allow an app through that effectively lets you copy stuff right from your device to anywhere (and to anyone) you want.

I don't suppose it's much different than copying DRM-free songs from your iTunes library, but somehow allowing this on the go straight from your iDevice seems more permissive than I thought Apple would be.

5. Habakuk

#5 Habakuk, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011
    No game as well so I add it here. Spirit Browser with some similar function (Wi-Fi/HTTP file sharing). You can download videos and large files of all sorts, save them locally on your iPhone and share them later with other computers, iDevices and even smartphones of other brands. FREE for some hours!

App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

Slick! The video shows how you can download instantly some YouTube clips thanks to multi-tabbed browsing and simultaneous background downloading:

Short test on downloading and saving YT video clips:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=1717851&postcount=16

The price for the app changes sometimes, see AppShopper.

6. lurtz6

lurtz6 Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Slave to the public education system
    Right behind you, with the machete raised
    Yo, is this like the downloader from cydia? if so, HOT DAMN!

7. muffie

muffie Well-Known Member

May 15, 2010
    got it. This app is really amazing. Surprises me that apple approved it. With this app, I can get ALL music files from any iDevice... for FREE!

8. slighmd

slighmd Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Surgeon
    Philippines
    DownlOaded! Thanks for this

9. #9 Mindfield, May 2, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2011
    Tried Song Exporter Pro, and ... well, it works as advertized. Retains all tags and everything. I'm still surprised that this is allowed on the App Store, but I'm not complaining. Nice little freebie, and an easy way to restore your music collection (or at least the part on your device) if something should go terribly wrong with the one on your computer.

Also tried Spirit Browser very briefly (didn't download anything) and noticed immediately that it really needs Retina support.

10. spyky

spyky Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2010
    @Mindfield

Song exporter pro is not the first of its kind. SaveTunes has been out for many months and has been free at some point of time too.

11. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    It's still 5/2 yet it's no longer free.

12. FL!ppY

FL!ppY Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Song exporter is still free in Europe, i just DLed it. But Spirit ain't free for me

13. FL!ppY

FL!ppY Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Dang! Just tried the app and it's a great one! Only 3 taps to enable & share ur library.
    I downloaded files @ approx 950 Kb/s, which is good!

I'll finally be able to share my music to my friends computers.

Again, thx a lot for the info Habakuk

14. Azuvidexus

Azuvidexus Well-Known Member

Spirit Browser isn't showing free for me as well.

15. In your time zone.

16. Habakuk

#16 Habakuk, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011
    Tried downloading and saving YouTube clips with Spirit Browser.

Short Review / Tips

Download YouTube clips

[​IMG]

Open the clip (p. e. on the YouTube mobile homepage) in a new tab (touch the clip link of the homepage a little longer and select "Open Link in New Tab"), then in the new tab touch the YouTube player window (embedded player with the play-forward-arrow) a bit longer (again: Tap and Hold) and in the following dialogue press the "Download" button (see screenshot above with the long YouTube URL of the recent Obama speech). This procedure is called "Long press to force download (Link, Image, HTML5 Video, Embedded Video)".

In the next command screen, a folder can be selected (or a new folder can be created and selected). After "Save" (top right) the clip will be stored, the process appears in the "Downloads" progress list which can be hidden. It's very easy.

When the download process is done the clips are now offline available in the "Documents" folder list (accessible via gear symbol for settings) and can be played from there, or they can be transferred to other computers and smartphones in the same Wi-Fi network via HTT protocol (according to developer). After the third or fourth time those actions will run intuitively, and almost quicker than on the "big computer".

By the way all that works pretty good with the iPad and iPad 2 (as well as the wireless HDMI output to the Apple TV 2 device), the display of the app's elements (browser) with pixel doubling (if desired) look somewhat blurred naturally, but this does not apply to the recorded videos, which are displayed on the iPad with the built-in Spirit Browser player with very good image (sharp) and sound quality. Genious is the "Hi-Speed ​​Scrubbing" on the timeline of the player, a nice gimmick is the free floating and movable mini TV set icon player.

[​IMG]

Click / Tap here to see this screenshot in original iPad 2 resolution​

The folder (move, replace clips), cookie, cache and history management of Spirit browser works fine as well. Test of the file-sharing features via Wi-Fi/HTT Protocol follows soon.

17. Azuvidexus

Azuvidexus Well-Known Member

I thought we were referring to the US iTunes Store, and if that's so the date was still correct. Oh well, no biggie.

05-02-2011, 04:20 AM
    05-02-2011, 08:26 AM

18. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Why on earth is this still on the store?!

19. Habakuk

20. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Is there anything like this that lets you import songs from any computer over wifi. Or does this do it?