Sometimes file sizes don't match the description on iTunes.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Paps Shenanigan, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Paps Shenanigan

Paps Shenanigan Active Member

Apr 10, 2011
    I just went through the ordeal of updating Modern Combat 3. I waited until I had 2.8 GB in storage left to do this, since I know their claim of file size of 1.something is completely inaccurate. I started the download last night knowing that it would take some time. Check it this morning and what do you know - storage is depleted and cannot complete install. This just enrage me and I deleted the app. How can a 1.something GB size app (what they claim) eat up 2.8 GB! I know there are plenty of other large siZe games that don't take up exactly what they claim it is - but this is absurd! Over twice the file size! The game was decent, not as good as MC2, but I worked on my rank an invested time into this game - but I'd it is such a difficult process to keep this game (by managing all my other games, deleting them so I can update such a large file size), than its just not worth it.

What games have you seen this? Why are they allowed to get away with misinforming file sizes? Arghhhh.

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    There may be some confusion here. While not sure if that is the case here, sometimes the initial download is somewhat compressed and once installed might take up more room than that initial download. So the listed file size is only the download file size, you need to figure the installation can be as much as twice as big.

3. If there is a mistake, it's with Apple not the developers. Developers have no control over what the iTunes store reports the size of the file is.

4. Platyrrhine

Platyrrhine Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    #4 Platyrrhine, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
    Quoted from me on another topic...

Since the update, the file size is a bit bigger. So you'll need 1.76 GB + 1.06 GB (and a little extra probably). Or just install it from a PC.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    There is no mistake. iTunes list download size. Once downloaded, the file needs to decompress. In order to do this you need to have enough space on your device to fit the original file (1.1 GB) + the uncompressed file (2.0 GB or so) = 3.1 GB +. That's why 2.8 GB is not enough space.

6. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    They should really list the size of the app when it's installed. Pretty much all other software does this, "how much space this software will take on your hard-drive", not "how big the download is". Storage space on iDevices is already only like 80% of what the box actually claims. 16GB iPad? Yeah right, more like 13GB. My 8GB iPhone only has 6.02GB actual space in iTunes, wtf? :rolleyes: If it was a 80GB, and I lost 2GB to whatever it is, then I won't mind. But losing 2GB when the entire thing is only 8?

7. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    In simple the file size listed is that of the file before it expands.