How "Safe" is Jailbreaking

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Anonomation, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

I was thinking about Jailbreaking my iPhone, and was wondering if anyone had encountered any serious problems such, as phone unfixable ones.

2. korossyl

korossyl Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2013
    I have a similar question, actually. I'm considering jailbreaking just for the use of GBA4iOS -- not browsing Cydia for hacks or apps, not looking for pirated premium games. One app that I already trust, and that's it. But I know that jailbreaking allows access to parts of the device that are usually sealed off. Is there any danger of malicious sites, emails, etc. attacking my phone, or is the danger limited to actual apps? I use my phone for sensitive operations, such as banking, and I can't really afford any risk. Any experience or advice would be appreciated.

3. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    It is extremely safe. It enables you to potentially do things that aren't safe, but you probably won't do those things.

Just because your computer enables you to potentially delete the entire system folder if you drag it into the trash, that doesn't mean you're going to do it. Jailbreaking is a lot like that - it gets rid of some of the restrictions the system puts in place to prevent apps from doing things like that.

If you install crazy theme engines from Chinese sites that patch system files at startup, there might be some dangers. If you install carefully vetted emulators from reputable sources, there is zero danger.

4. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    ^excellent explanation.

There can be trouble if you consider online banking on your device though. Many banking apps are able to detect a jailbroken device and will refuse from running. There are some tweaks around to bypass this detection, though, which doesnt mean that it works in any case. So just keep that in mind, korossyl.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I was a bit paranoid but everything was fine. I just jailbreaked before for emulators. Not cracked apps or anything. Just wanted emilators

Eventually sold my phone so I just restored it to factory settings to get rid of the jailbreak

Don't listen to any paranoid stories about jail breaking. It's fine. Just don't go to any dodgy Chinese sites to install stuff

I was jailbroken for a year and loved it

6. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Jailbreaking can be great. I think just by jailbreaking your device it might leave it more open to security problems in general but I could be wrong. I stopped jailbreaking because in the end. It always screwed with my device and caused problems. I REALLY just want unlimited pages. Is that so hard for Apple to implement?

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I had jailbroken devices before and it's pretty safe.

I decided not to jailbreak my ipad air though, as im not really abusing the things offered by the jailbreak. I was mainly using the jailbreak for emulators, but they kill my gaming time with the iOS titles therefore just adding to my pile of backlog.

Without the jailbreak and no emulator, i am able to complete a good number of titles already.

8. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    It's safe. Just don't update/delete anything without knowing what it is and what it does.

9. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    i really dont know why people think that jailbreak is something bad and terrible,i can't use all my idevices without jailbreak becase it's boring,i want to change themes,iwidgets...

10. MarleySaege

MarleySaege Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2015
    I've been jail breaking since 2012 & it's never bricked of rendered my phone useless

11. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    I've been using my devices jailbroken for a long time and there was only one time when it caused trouble and that was me deleting some cache files thinking they were just cache files. My iPad wouldn't boot after that. But a simple restore fixed that.

12. korossyl

Oct 10, 2013
    This is all really encouraging to me, and to the OP also, I'm sure. Thanks so much, everyone. If I'm understanding all of this correctly, then, the only security risks from jailbreaking come from stupid but deliberate actions on the part of the user. Is there no danger that a malicious website can run some code or install an app without the user's knowledge or permission?

I think I'm getting really keen on this idea. I'm grateful for TA's guest article on the topic, and for y'all's comments here.

13. SherlockEB

Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    As long as you don't add shady repos to Cydia and change your SSH password you'll be safe.
    Ps last year there was a SSL bug that allowed man on middle attacks and Cydia developer Ryan Petrich released a fix before Apple did.

14. korossyl

Oct 10, 2013
    Hm, yeah, I read about that someplace when I was looking into this for the first time. But I don't see mention of it in the TA article. Could you point me in the direction of a good set of instructions on resetting the SSH password?

15. SherlockEB

Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
  16. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Empirical evidence from me:

My devices bricked by jailbreaking: 0
    My devices bricked by installing iOS8: 1

Just make a full backup beforehand in iTunes, learn how to backup your SHSH blobs, and immediately change your SSH password!

Then... just watch what you install. Worst case scenario - restore your backup and/or start over as if it was a 'new' device.

17. korossyl

Oct 10, 2013
    SHSH blobs? Aren't those just for installing versions of iOS? Do you need those for just basic-level stuff?

18. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    No. Just save them in case you accidentaly update the iOS version, or want to go to the older version for some reason. I jailbroke several phones since 2010 and only downgraded once per friend's request.

Just make sure that everything is alright with the iOS version you are upgrading to and you should be fine. Just don't go clicking something you've got no idea what it does.

19. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I'd get them in case you need them in the future.

20. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

I might just grab a descent Android tablet and root it, it sounds like an easier process. I haven't seen a jailbreak for iOS 8.2 yet either.

The problem is also finding a trustable site to download the jailbreak which I think cannot be discussed here.