Ever Feel This Way? (rage comic)

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by jamesj3k, Dec 2, 2009.

1. arkanigon

arkanigon Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    lol! all the time.

But our problem is nobody has even heard of our stuff.

Better to have someone say they hate your app than say nothing at all...

2. Knight

Knight Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Game Developer
    This hits way too close to home...

3. lynardo

lynardo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Software developer
    Canada
    Inaccurate. I don't say FFUUU. I use the full word.:p

4. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    This made me lmfao

5. YmirMobile

YmirMobile Active Member

nice one, looks familiar...

6. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Ah, delusions of grandeur :) Usually this happens to me when I'm first getting started but by the time I'm getting ready to submit, I'm so tired of working on it that I'm just glad to be done.

Hilarious comic, I can definitely relate.

7. jamesj3k

jamesj3k Well-Known Member

It's unfortunate because by the time you're done, you never want to play your game ever again.

8. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    LMAO! That, is a great comic. And I'm sure an uncountable amount of devs can relate.

9. Uptown Arts

Uptown Arts Well-Known Member

He drew me really skinny in that cartoon.

10. dawvee

dawvee Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    iPhone Developer, DaVoid Digital
    Dublin, Ireland
    It's close, but for me it's fewer negative reviews and more crickets chirping.

11. mromanuk

mromanuk Active Member

Jun 18, 2009
    :D very good, so true...

12. Oh man is this comic ever appropriate for me this week.

Charmed got featured at a very unfortunate time. I have a bug where Charmed freezes up when an OpenFeint achievement is earned if the user has never gone online.

I have submitted a V1.6 update to Apple that avoids the freezes, but it is still "In Review".

I have also put a message up at the top of my app description telling people that the workaround is to simply login to OpenFeint, even one time and the freezes will stop.

Yet I am still getting 1 star reviews from people complaining about the freezes. Am I wrong to expect that people will even bother to read the first 1-2 sentences? Especially when they include BOLD LETTERS TO TELL PEOPLE TO PAY ATTENTION?

I've also put the message on my website.

If I ever have a problem with a game I purchased, I always check the iTunes page and the support page BEFORE posting any rating or review.

Sigh! :(

13. bravetarget

bravetarget Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    What a bummer!

If it is already at In Review instead of Waiting For Review, you should get the approval pretty soon. Also, the feature can last for more than a week. It's not all bad.

14. jamesj3k

Yes.

In my experience, the app description is largely ignored, especially after the purchase. I agree that 1-star reviews in this case are a bit harsh (totally ignoring the rest of the game) but this is how people act so we've got to get used to it. We've started building in dynamic text / images into our apps that are pulled from our website in case we need to make an in-app announcement.

15. That's what my girlfriend tells me too! I'm working on it!

Perhaps not coincidentally, I am working on the same thing this week. It's a pop-up HTML view that checks for a newer page on my server every time the game starts.

In this case though it might not help that much, because the problem is that people who see the freezes are NOT going online! Still some people might be online, but have just chosen to disable OpenFeint.

16. jamesj3k

17. Pamx

Pamx Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    UK
    Hilarious cartoon! I imagine that the vast majority of developers relate to it & certainly anyone who spent months burning the midnight oil - it's a pretty hit-and-miss way to make a living where Apple is God and an unmerciful one at that :)

18. bit_Jon

bit_Jon Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Artist/Markerting
    Chicago IL
    Great cartoon, but your missing the one star reviews of people screaming for a feature they want in the game, when if they just went to the options screen they would find that it is all ready there... I'm gonna scream FFFFFUUUUU just thinking about it lol