Poor search results

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by My Love Life, Dec 8, 2011.

1. My Love Life

My Love Life Well-Known Member

I cannot seem to get good results when I do a search for my key words in iTunes.
    I would expect my apps to appear higher.

Are there any tricks I should be aware of?

I currently have all my words separated by a comma (with no spaces anywhere)

App: My Love Life & My Love Life - Lite

Key words: "Date,Dating,Sex,Track,Log,Logging,History,Love,Love Life,Flirt,Masturbate,Myself,Lovelife,Journal"

Any comments or advice will be VERY much appreciated.
    Thank you :)

2. The problem is your search terms are very common. Most likely hundreds of other apps have the same keywords.

3. My Love Life

Thank you.
    I was wondering about that but wanted to see if I was using incorrect syntax ... or just too common words.
    Also ... is the order of my Keywords important?
    I searched for "Love Life" and even "My Love Life" (part of the app name) and have been disappointed at how low the results are
    Any suggestions?

4. I'm not very experienced in this department so hopefully someone else can chime in. I did a search for "my love life" on the Canadian app store and your app showed up 82nd. I can see what you mean. I can't even think of any different key words you can use that wouldn't be common. Maybe just try searching different single words in the app store and see which ones yield the lowest results. I noticed you didn't use romance so I tried that but unfortunately got a ton of results. I honestly can't even think of any other words for your app that would be unique.

5. My Love Life

Thank you 30BelowStudios.
    That is exactly the problem I am having. Standard search (even for my app name or a derivation of the name) is coming up very low. I'm not sure what it can be or how to improve it.
    Help out there anyone?

6. binaryhelix

binaryhelix Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    My guess is Apple includes other metrics to order that list including sales and reviews to prevent keyword gaming or stuffing. Improve your sales or reviews and your app will rank higher. Kind of a catch-22, but if Apple didn't do this, people would game the keywords or name their app purely for search ranking. I think this was a problem in the past if I recall correctly.

7. My Love Life

Thank you binaryhelix
    I found another blog that suggested the same thing.
    Guess I'll just have to market the app better :)

8. Arty Tales

Arty Tales Active Member

Dec 22, 2011
    EU
    I found the most important metric to be App sales!

I have a recently launched app with 100+ decent competitors. Using the most common search term according to google (this is in my keywords, not in my app name) and searching by relevance, I was floating around 40th in US store search.

I then took part in a free app promotion (appvent) and shot up to first in both iPhone and iPad beating applications there for 2 years with 1000+ reviews.

And two days after the promotion with sale back to their original level, I am back to 40th.

The second most important metric seems to be reviews. An app with reviews will rank higher than one without in the same search.

9. TheGreatWhiteApe

TheGreatWhiteApe Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Games Designer, animator, writer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Order of keywords in the title

We have also noticed that the order of words in your title makes a difference, so put your most important keyowrd as the first work in your title. Looks like the keywords are mainly sorted by sales and downloads same as the rest of the store. Even really irrelevant apps with better sales will often show up before yours in a search listing.

10. My Love Life

Thank you for your help. (Arty Tales & TheGreatWhiteApe)
    I will be putting out an update (bug fixes) soon and will update my keywords based on your help/advice.
    Thank you & happy new years :)

11. Arty Tales

Arty Tales Active Member

Dec 22, 2011
    EU
    One more point: I don't think masturbate / masturbation etc. is an accepted keyword on the app store.

12. My Love Life

I thought so at first also, and was waiting for the iTunes police to reject my app ... but it was approved. So I guess it's "kosher"