Trial By Survival (Nah-Meen Studios)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by mrbradleypants, Jun 11, 2013.

1. mrbradleypants

mrbradleypants Well-Known Member

#1 mrbradleypants, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
    Available 8-8-13 on The App Store!
    Universal and compatible with Gen 4 devices and up!

Nah-Meen Studios Website
    Trial by Survival Facebook

Features

• Game Modes
      Survival Mode: You must Survive on the world map for a period of time. Die and lose everything. Survive and return home to win.
      Arena Mode: Build a kit and survive wave after wave of enemies.
    • Procedurally Generated Levels - Every game will be unique
    • Permadeath
    • Destructible environments
      Break down walls, blow up cars, set houses on fire
    • Glitch the dog can help defend you, fetch things for you and keep you company
    • Scavenge loot from other failed survivors around the map (Survival Mode)
    • Build and level up over a dozen unique weapons
    • Customize your playing style with a character enhancing Perk system

2. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

This looks really cool.

Is it only dual stick combat or there any RPG-esque survival elements? Arenas or open world?

3. Bronxsta

If anyone's interested in the game, I had messaged the dev on Facebook. Here's the response. I highlighted the interesting details

No dual stick, just drag to move, tap to shoot. There is a survival mode with a world map and an arena mode. The scenarios are procedurally generated, so you will never play the same exact level twice. In Survival Mode you'll have to survive for 14 days. Each scenario you complete is a day, and they get harder as you go along. You have to find parts to build weapons and they upgrade as you use them. You use XP to buy Perks that enhance your character. Also, permadeath. If you want anything in your inventory after you die, you have to go to that map point to scavenge it, but everyone else can too... In the Arena mode you build a kit and it is just you in an arena and waves of enemies.

4. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    #4 saansilt, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
    My kinda game.
    Looks great.
    Edit:
    That control scheme worries me.
    Planet wars tried it but it didn't work out and it went dual stick.

5. mrbradleypants

Hey Saansilt, what worries you about drag to move, tap to attack?

6. Bronxsta

I don't know about Saansilt, but personally I prefer dual stick controls or at least the option of either dual stick or drag/tap. IMO, I just feel the dual stick set-up is the most precise and easy to control on a touch screen device. And that precision and ease is especially important in a game like this where permadeath is going to be a factor. Dragging and tapping means that fingers might get in the way of actually seeing what's going, might be easier to move to the wrong spot or shoot the wrong enemy.

It's your game. But at the very least, the option of multiple control schemes would make people happy.

7. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Dual stick is easier than tap drag anywhere.
    In planet wars before it updated, my fingers where dancing on the screen and it became way to easy to block my veiw.
    The action was fighting the controls, not the enemy.
    Now if you are doing tap to lock on, and drag anywhere to move, that can work.
    In fact that can work real well.
    I think.
    But please do keep multiple control options.

8. Bronxsta

I was looking at the thread for this game in the iPad forums (destructilble environments, always a plus) and I was wondering:
    - are there elements like a day/night cycle
    - can you set a camp or hole up somewhere while surviving on the world map? Or you just go from a home base, complete objectives, and return?
    - how destructible? Can you blow through any wall? Can you enter any interior?

Anyway, I'm getting a Demon's Souls vibe, with being able to loot from dead survivors. This game definitely sounds awesome. Although, like saansilt, I'd prefer dual stick controls

9. mrbradleypants

Thanks for the input, and we will be re-visiting the dual stick option. We find what we have to work really well, but we will look into the option for sure.

The way we have it set up is that you tap the character and drag to create a path. He can defend himself to a degree, so if you come across one or two enemies, he will automatically kick them away. Its a very forgiving system. We don't want people to always die for just running into an enemy. For firing, you tap anywhere to shoot in that direction. You can also hold down to adjust your trajectory and the weapon will fire by itself based on its rate of fire. You can tap behind an enemy and still get the kill (there is a perk that modifies your ammo to go through multiple enemies). There is also an aiming mechanic built into the weapon system. If you wait until you are aimed, you will have a much higher kill rate, no matter the weapon. That is to say, aiming with a pistol will give you a higher kill ratio then spraying a machine gun.

I hope this helps.

10. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Ok that sounds easy to play, but we'll have to see if it works as well as hoped.
    Maybe tap anwhere to aim with a movestick?
    That might help a bit.

11. mrbradleypants

Bronxsta-
    Night time is dangerous. We don't go out at night.
    The premise of Survival Mode is that you have been accused of something and the only way to prove your innocence is to survive this trial, a Trial by Survival if you will. The campaign consists of the world map with a bunch of points on it. A horde begins to grow and take over the map while you are in the wilderness. So as the game difficulty increases day to day, there is also this growing threat. The only objective is to survive, and get home alive.
    You can destroy all the walls of houses and commercial buildings, which you can also go in. When you go inside, you cannot see outside and visa-verse. When the walls are destroyed, enemies will adjust their attack path accordingly.
    As per my response to Saansilt, we will be revisiting having dual sticks as an option.

12. Bronxsta

Appreciate the responses. The drag/tap controls sounds much better than I anticipated.

13. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Agree they do sound better now that they've been explained.

14. mrbradleypants

#14 mrbradleypants, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
    http://tflig.ht/101zlDX
    We are now accepting applications for beta testers through TestFlight. Follow the link to apply!

15. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    What link?

16. mrbradleypants

Edited my comment to include the link. It's also been edited into the top of the original post.

17. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    I applied, but I think that was through the link in the iPad thread.
    Will I have to use the link here for the phone version?

18. mrbradleypants

It shouldn't matter, it's the same link. Feel free to PM me with any questions you have with getting set up. and Thanks!

19. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    No, thank you for the chance mate.
    How closely does this reflect the ZSG by the way?

20. mrbradleypants

Well we tried to stick as close to that lore as possible. There are little things.. You have to use a crowbar or axe to get parts from objects in the world. Or having to build armor instead of regenerating health. If you get bit by a zombie.. you don't just bandage that up. So we approached it from the angle that an attack weakens your armor, and you rebuild that. I know its a matter of semantics, but we did our best. The weapon system also reflects aspects of the ZSG. A leveled up carbine is more effective then a machine gun. Spraying and praying can be helpful in a pinch, but you'll run out of ammo pretty quickly.