Who the heck actually reads?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by coconutbowling, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

I'm an avid reader, my favorite genres being action thriller, apocalyptic/zombies, crime fiction, sci fi noir, and nonfiction

Some of my recommended reads

Action
    Jack Reacher series - Lee Child
    The Breach - Patrick Lee

Crime fiction
    Volk's Game - Brent Ghelfi
    The Dispatcher - Ryan David Jahn
    Pike - Benjamin Whitmer
    The Professionals - Owen Laukkanen

Sci Fi noir
    Altered Carbon - Richard Morgan
    KOP - Warren Hammond
    The Electric Church - Jeff Somers
    Chasm City - Alastair Reynolds

Apocalyptic/Zombies
    World War Z - Max Brooks
    The Strain series - Chuck Hogan/Del Toro
    Tooth & Nail - Craig Dilouie
    Autumn series - David Moody
    The Road - Cormac McCarthy
    Blindness - José Saramago
    Run - Blake Crouch
    The Passage - Justin Cronin

Nonfiction
    The Devil In The White City - Erik Larson
    Batavia's Graveyard - Mike Dash
    Any book by Mary Roach (Stiff, Spook, etc.)
    Manhunt: The 12 Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer - James Swanson
    Joker One - Donovan Campbell
    The River of Doubt - C.Millard
    A Walk In The Woods - Bill Bryson

2. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Jump over to Humble Bundle. There's a nice selection for just a couple of bucks.

3. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    That's a pretty substantial list from Bronxsta, gotta check some of those out. Been wanting to read World War Z and The Road. It's on my list.

What I've been looking for are some great character-driven novels with good plots. Any ideas?

4. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Just stumbled on this thread :)

@ninjackid: Saw your question about Stephen King. I stopped reading his "newer" stuff maybe 15 years ago, so I don't know if he wrote anything good "recently".
    For his old stuff, The Stand I think is his masterpiece. Try to find the unabridged version.
    Dark Tower is fantastic in terms of world-building, but I found the books to drag on just too much, didn't finish the cycle. See if you can get the comics, I have a few and found them better than the books (due to the added visuals).

If you don't mind paying a visit to creepy country, look for the old stuff he wrote as Richard Bachman: Thinner, Running Man, Rage, The Long Walk.

I also have a collection of King short stories with some seriously strange stuff, but I'm not sure what it's called in English: Night Shift, I think.

5. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Yeah, I recently found a copy of The Stand (unabridged!) for only .25 cents at a local book sale. Pretty sweet. I'm hoping to start it soon, when I get some time.

6. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Read "Project Nemesis" by James Robinson.
    It was actually pretty good.

7. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    If anyone wants a bit of Scifi comedy the Starship Grifters stuff is pretty good, it's not The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy but it shares a similar tone in delivery.

8. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Just about to start House of Leaves. I've started to read more since I got my Kindle Paperwhite.

9. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Oh hello old thread. Between my internship and other part time I haven't had much time for reading (let alone video games), but I just picked up Seconds (graphic novel) and am finishing up the first book of Mistborn. I have a lot on my backlog. Good suggestions.

10. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    For the second time in my adult life I've just finished Thomas Pynchon's 'Gravity's Rainbow'.
    I still don't think I'll read anything better in my lifetime.
    He'll, I may even understand it next time, but I think that that may be missing the point.

11. mr haptic

mr haptic Active Member

Jul 22, 2014
    I do love a good book (right now I'm reading through Joe Abercrombies' First Law fantasy trilogy) but I also gotta represent my love of comics. When great art is matched with brilliant writing the resultant narrative chemistry can be amazing. A good comic can convey a ton of story in a single panel and does so in such an intuitive manner that it ends up feeling like an effortless read. I'd point to Darwyn Cooks graphic novel adaptations of Richard Stark's Parker series, if you love noir then it's well worth a read for that reason alone.

12. joew

joew Active Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Producer & Engineer @ Creoterra
    Toronto, Canada
    I read a novel at least once every two months, keeps the brain fresh :) There are a lot of amazing books out there and I'd definitely recommend Sanderson's Mistborne as well as Joe Abercrombies' First Law trilogy as mentioned above. I could go on with a list including Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy, Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen, and many more.

13. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I've been reading two series kind of at the same time lately, Honor Harrington series by David Weber for my sci fi fix and The Godling Chronicles by Brian D Anderson for my Fantasy fix.
    I like them both although I had reservations about reading the first mainly due to the female character but once you get a few books in it's pretty good.

As for the second it's your typical farmboy finds out he's special and has to save the world thing, very Eragon like but I like cliche stories sometimes and I'm enjoying it just wish the whole series was complete as it is there are five books so far.

14. september

Sep 14, 2012
    The Plagerist - Hugh Howey - Short story, you see the end coming but it doesn't detract from a great concept

15. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Currently reading Stephen King's The Stand. It's the first book I've read by him, and it's a great read. Gonna have to check out more of his books in the future.

Anyone got any current recommendations?

16. september

Sep 14, 2012
    Wool - Hugh Howey, if you haven't already

17. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    The Stand is / was Stephen King's best work by far IMHO. Some of his other older works were also reasonably good, and then he got formulaic and I quit reading anything by him. If you want an encyclopedic reference on lots of good reads hit up JBRUU - he reads like a fiend (if I remember correctly from a thread a couple of years ago). Could not find the thread though.

I have not read much of late, most of fond remembrances are from the past.

18. nemerleb

nemerleb Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    I'm into Gillian Flynn nowadays. The author who wrote Gone Girl. You should check Dark Places by her. It' a thrilling read tbh.

19. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

I read every now and then. Used to read everyday an hour minimum before I got an iDevice... most likely isn't good for my health.

20. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Currently reading The Martian and its spectacular. Definitely recommend it since it's getting a movie next year