Universal Pinball Arcade - (by FarSight)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Werechihuahua

Werechihuahua Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Eternal labors
    Pensacola, FL
    So the "problem" is, the best pinball GAMES on any platform, and the ONLY programs that even tries to be a SIM isn't utterly perfect. M'kay. I love Pinball arcade, and play routinely on ipad3, PS Vita, XBOX360, PS3, and occasionally on the cruddy Nitendo 3DS since that's the only version with PIN*Bot.

I recall the Cunning Developments pinball games allowed you to "wear and tear" the break in on the tables, but they were working with their own IP, not licensing from Bally. I would love a modern version of Timeshock and Fantastic Journey and Big Race but in the meantime, Farsight makes the best pinball games period. Name a better. Everyone replied that they don't do high scores and I'm obviously suffering from an inferiority complex... But no one named a better pinball game.

2. cpugeek13

cpugeek13 Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Just out of curiosity, for those of you who think pinball arcade is too easy, how to you keep the ball in play? I have a much harder time keeping it in play in the tables in this than in other digital pinball games.

3. Fujibayashi

Fujibayashi Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2009
    Japanese / Korean translator.
    Mililani, O'ahu, Hawai'i
    yaaayy! GENIE!

Thank God, Gottlieb's GENIE is coming in the next update! One of my favorite tables in real life, that. As it turns out I play the older Pinball tables in this game more than the new ones - the vast majority of my iOS pinball time is spent on BLACK HOLE, GORGAR, BLACK KNIGHT and BIG SHOT, so happy to have another oldie but goodie!

4. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    This is true for me too, Black Hole & B Night are my favorites in the collection so far, love the layout of older tables. Feels less cluttered and is more dynamic imo.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Think i mentioned it before, went to a retro show in England a few months back, loved seeing many of the tables featured in the app, was interesting opening the app on my iphone and taking a look at the detail of the app compared to the actual table i was next to.

I'm not a huge hardcore pinball fan, love the variety of tables in the app (have them all) but enjoy playing all the different ones. Its a great app

6. Janni

Janni Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    well, you are absolutely right...

and thats why there is so much ranting: we've got many "good but casual" pinball games around, so no need for another one... but i'm good hope ;)

personally i can't wait for T2, pinbot, champion pub (gameplay is so much fun!) and of course AFM... just hoping, i'm not be able to destroy mars in my first game (managed this only once IRL, and i had 5 balls) :D

7. krautboy

krautboy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    I really enjoy tpa but for me the best table on iOS right now is Revenge of the Rob-o-Bot.

8. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Revenge of the Rob-o-Bot is a good game, but PA physic is better.

9. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I like Pinball Arcade a lot, but I really hope they get their ducks in a row for the Xbox version soon. I've been dying to buy new table packs on there for some time now.

10. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009

11. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    Wow, there are WAY too many pages to look back through on this to answer a couple basic questions. Maybe someone could help me?

1. I've purchased the app and am REALLY enjoying the ToTAN table. What are some of the better ones to buy? I'm definitely no pinball fanatic but think I know quality from crap...

2. The menus are very confusing, how can I just view the multi-game packs available to buy and their prices? I assume there would be some better deals there for a few tables instead of just purchasing them individually.

3. Are the 'Pro' versions of the tables worth the extra bucks? It seems to me as though they just include other camera views and such?

Thanks so much! As for iOS pinball I've been playing Rob-O-Bot and this ToTAN table like crazy and am on the lookout for more tables. More more more!

12. fenderbendr

fenderbendr Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2012
    1. It really depends on your tastes. You can try out a table buy hitting the start button on the lower right hand corner, and when the menu pops up, press the "play free version" button.

Some of my favorites are
    Theatre of Magic
    Big Shot
    Twilight Zone
    Medieval Madness
    And Black Hole just to name a few.

Medieval Madness is a must own IMO.

2.To buy a pack of tables, just click start on a table you want, and when the menu pops up it will ask you if you want to buy the two pack of tables for $5 which vary depending on which table you select.

3. The pro menu for TOTAN will be 99¢ in the next update and for that price I'd buy it. I bought the pro mode for TOTAN for $1.99 and I think it's worth it. You get to use the operators menu for the table, with which you can change the difficulty, adjust the software settings, run tests and more. You also get to have control over the ball in regular play mode, which can be quite fun. You get pro tips from Josh Sharpe which can be helpful at times.

Hope that helps.

13. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    If you mess with the table settings does it still add your scores to the global leaderboards?

14. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Like the new layout to this app now. But it's still on occasion a little crashy but I'm sure it's my itouch 4g. If rumour is true that the mini iPad with retinal display comes out this March I'll be definitely upgrading. I can imagine playing pinball on a larger screen would be awesome!

15. fenderbendr

fenderbendr Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Nope.

16. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    If you'd like a larger screen why will you buy a mini iPad?

17. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Ok then a MAX iPad ! It's still in development:)

18. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    I can't find "ToTan" table. Which is the exact title?

19. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    Tales of the Arabian Nights :)

And I don't know how the past day escalated the way it did for me. I started out loving the TOTAN table, bought Twilight Zone, then over the next few hours slowly bought every single table available haha. I am in love with this game and can't wait to learn and explore every table.

20. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011