Please help me decide between Ipad mini, and ipod touch 5th gen.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Infernado, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Infernado

Infernado Active Member

Sep 23, 2012
    #1 Infernado, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
    I am currently deciding between the two

Ipad mini:
    +Big screen
    +Ipad app market
    +Longer battery
    -$29 bucks more
    - Less GB
    - No retina

Ipod touch 5th gen:
    +Retina Display
    +$29 Bucks less
    +Twice the GB
    -Smaller Screen
    -Less Apps

I am going to buy one before Christmas. I am going to be playing games, and 32gb is going to be good for holding all of my games, but ipad mini will have the better sized screen, What do you guys think?

Do not just say "IPOD TOUCH" please explain your reasoning.

Oh and do not argue.

Sorry for misspell on title.

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Less apps on ipod touch ? Well i suppose 'slightly' but most games are universal. I've got an ipad and an ipod but theres very few apps i have which are ipad only.

I would go for the ipod touch due to more memory. Theres so many great games out there i think you would fill up the space on your new ipad mini straight away.

I'm a huge fan of the ipod touch as its so small and portable, the new ipod will be slightly bigger but still a great size.

Had an ipod touch for about 18 months now and love it, i read books on it, comics, tons of games, its perfect. Just love the smaller size of it

3. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    iPad mini will be better for games due to the larger screen. There's a number of games that even though the run on my iPhone 4, they are far less playable then playing them on my iPad 2 due to the screen size - fingers in way and such. iPad mini seems like a good compromise, although I would like to see how well that screen size handles some of my board/card games. However if you also want the device for music, then I'd go with the iPod touch. You want a music player to fit in your pocket.

4. Ipad mini, hands down.

With the ipad 4 and mini coming out, there will be more and more ipad only games that you won't be able to enjoy on the touch. Plus the screen size makes it much more pleasant.

Remember, that just because a game is universal, doesn't mean the touch and mini versions are the same, far from it. Many of these universal games play far better on the ipad due to smaller sprite sizes, larger fields, and better touch controls.

I would never buy a touch over an ipad mini, even if you gave me $100, no way.

There will be more and more games designed for the ipad crowd that touch users won't be able to get cause of the mini coming out. Plus it is better to always get the hd version of games just in case later you go for the ipad 5.

5. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I was asking myself this question too... I want the iPod touch for its size (smaller) but I want an iPad mini for its size (larger)...

So confusing is my plight.

6. Then, I suggest getting an ipad 4 for it's even larger retina screen. Not to add to your plight and all...

7. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    See, this would be the ultimate choice for me, but I'd want the 64gig and that's like what, 600 bucks? I think? And I couldn't afford that right now haha.

8. $700 plus tax. So yeah, kind of hefty. I like the ipad minis size though, especially for women with purses. The new ipad and ipad 4 are too big unless you want to go out with a backpack all the time, which I have been resigned to do.

Ipad games are ssoooooooo much better than touch or iphone games though. The hd versions are usually far superior. So the gaming experience is definitely different. I would get the ipad mini.

9. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    But I'm a man.

:p

Haha, all joking aside though; the iPod touch appeals to me since it's a significant upgrade from my 3rd gen, and it's small enough to fit in my pocket.

But the iPad mini appeals to me because, as you said, the gameplay experience is enhanced by the larger screen. But what about the lack of retina display in the iPad mini?

10. Well, I always thought you were a woman, haha j/k. :p

While I love a retina screen, the ipad 2 screen is ok, and it will look even better in the mini since it is smaller.

But hd versions of games are usually far better than the sd versions, not only in retina grahics, but also in the size of the playing field, controls, and overall experience.

I never buy iphone only games anymore, and when I play them, I am disappointed. So by buying the ipad mini, you open yourself up to more games, especially cool titles like Mutant Storm, and there will be others soon as more and more developers make ipad games for the ipad mini and ipad 4.

I think ipad is a good compromise, retina screen or not. And web surfing, would be pretty good on it, on a touch, it's tough cause you are zooming so much. That is a big consideration too. Most websites will provide full page views for the ipad mini, for the touch, they force you to mobile formatted pages, would look like crap.

Anyway, start wearing a suit! I hear you can fit the mini in a suit pocket! Or buy a manpurse! :p

11. AppleFan12

AppleFan12 Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    USA
    I have an iPod touch 5G but I'm exchanging it at the Apple store hopefully this weekend for an iPad Mini 32GB. I totally agree about what has been said about iPad only games, HD and screen real estate.

Games are just more fun on a larger screen. The only thing is I'm wondering about us how games like IB2 or gorgeous point and click, interactive books will look.

Despite misgivings, I would recommend the iPad mini and the iPad 4 if you can afford it.

12. sampdx

sampdx Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2011
    #12 sampdx, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
    I'd get the mini over the touch just because it has LTE.

Also it seems like it would be better for playing games. Bigger but not heavy.

A lot of games haven't been updated to the new res for the iphone/ipod touch 5 either. Like some of my favorites Space miner, bumpy road, zombiesmash, storm in a teacup, etc. those probably never will be updated. So you'd get the black bars on either side.

I'm actually contemplating to get a mini or not because my big ipad is kind of awkward at times to play games on. Like tilt based games and some platformers. I'm also not very comfortable taking it out on public transport. I'm worried about non retina too though.

13. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Personally I'd go iPod touch for the retina, storage and the fact Apple probably won't replace it in 6 months. Then again I could be wrong it's hard to predict Apple lately.

14. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    The iPod Touch has significantly better specs, is more portable than the mini, and has retina display, which is fantastic if you use your device for reading, comics, etc.

15. ninjackid

May 27, 2010

No, I am very much a man. :p

But dude, you make a lot of good points!!! However, I'm still as undecided as ever! Haha.

I think $$$ will be the deciding factor for me in the end. :p

16. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    I'm getting an iPad mini for Christmas, but that's only because I already have an iPhone. Definitely go for the iPod Touch. Better screen(resolution wise) more portable, and awesome colors!

17. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    how has the ipod touch significantly better specs?

its has more space but thats it.. it has the same cpu/gpu the same amount of ram so where does the significantly better specs come from?

also reading comics and text on a 4" is better than than on a "big" ipad mini? how so? reading browsing etc. will be more comfortable on the big screen.
    the same was true with the fullsize ipads.

imho i would get the ipad mini, because its an shrunken ipad2 (which is still a very decent device)

what funny is the the "retina" device ie the touch has actually less pixels than the ipad mini ..

its 1024*768 vs 1136*640.. go figure

then of course a big important factor is that the ipad mini with its 4:3 screen has instantly inherited the same library as its bigger brothers..
    whereas alot of games are not optimized for the new 4" widescreen (and probably never will)

so id stick to the ipad mini.. ;)

18. sampdx

sampdx Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Aside from the retina and bigger storage. What better specs? They both have the a5 (mini is at 1ghz and touch is at 800mhz i believe), they both have 512mb ram... I'm just wanting to know if i'm missing something. Thanks.

19. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    iPod Touch is the best of its class, iPad Mini is a poor man's iPad 3. I'd go with the Touch and start saving some cash for the next big iPad or you'll constantly feel like you're just making do.

Retina makes a huge difference in games, regardless of how many pixels a screen has in total. Cramming them together turns every experience into something beautifully mesmerizing.

That said, it's true that the larger screen makes for better gaming, but you shouldn't have to settle for anything less than the best.

20. AppleFan12

AppleFan12 Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    USA
    They have the exact same specs except the screen of course.

The iPod touch has no significantly better specs. Untrue