Bouncing Birds! coming soon to the App Store

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by LaughingPanda, Jul 11, 2011.

1. LaughingPanda

LaughingPanda Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Tell me what you think of my upcoming game Bouncing Birds! Here's the description and a link to the gameplay video.

Use your Bouncing Birds to save the world. Fight back against the mean coconuts who are taking over the land. Bounce your way over, under, and straight through the coconuts clever hideouts. Bouncing Birds features hours of challenging gameplay, physics-based puzzles to find out how to hit the coconuts, and tons of replay value. All 45 levels have been beautifully crafted with stunning rainforest, arctic, and deep sea locations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krXuQRaiNA0

2. Vee

Vee Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Student
    Somewhere in your imagination
    Hey hey guise
    hey guise
    I have this ide-
    Hey guise i have this idea about another flightless bird game
    Guise
    An ostrich!
    A run game guise!
    An ostrich chases after her eggs!
    Guise?

3. LaughingPanda

LaughingPanda Member

Apr 24, 2011

That was really constructive, thank you so much for your wisdom.

4. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I don't like this type of games... But this actually looks like fun :)

5. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Looks like Fragger/Angry Birds

6. LaughingPanda

LaughingPanda Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Is that a good thing?

7. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    The one thing I noticed is the enemies look alot like the pigs...overall the gameplay looks kinda cool though imo with the bouncing. And from the video, there are moving environment factors which look pretty cool. Any idea on a release date?

8. AOR

AOR Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Independent game developer
    San Francisco
    Aw come on, man. Let the poor dude try to make a living for God's sake. :)

I applaud anyone who is at least trying to do something with their lives rather than mugging passers-by or selling drugs to grade school kids or some crap like that.

9. nikhsterboi

nikhsterboi Well-Known Member

Like the look but is way too bouncy for me.

10. dennno

dennno Active Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Looks good, but it definitely lacks a unique quality about it, and will likely make customers brush your app off.

Here are some constructive criticisms I think you might be able to use:
    1. Visuals are good. But that's it, just good. It's not memorable, doesn't stand out and lacks a certain 'presence' that can only be achieved with a unique art style and direction. Actually the 3dish style combined with the 2d makes it somewhat unique, BUT for some reason for me it just doesn't work in some of the stages. It doesn't make your app stand out enough. Perhaps it's the quality, or I've simply seen too much of the same thing in the app store.

2. Gameplay mechanics are too similar to others. There are literally hundreds of apps with the same mechanics, the lack of uniqueness in the gameplay will make customers brush it off. There are other apps that are very similar, have been presented/promoted well, with the help of a publisher and have failed to make an impact. This will probably be the most important point.

3. Trailer, if you truly want to make an impact, try telling a small backstory regarding the characters in your game. It will engage the audience watching the trailer and makes your app a lot more interesting than just another gameplay trailer for a game that is VERY similar to hundreds out there. A small back story about your main bird for example could help you engage your potential customers, and make them excited about your product.

Finally, if you're looking for a quick buck, then I think you may be able to make some money with it, but nothing extraordinary. Enough to quit your day job? Very unlikely. If you're hoping for the app to be extremely successful, then I suggest going back to the drawing board, refine it further before releasing, or perhaps even do a complete overhaul of the gameplay mechanics.

Just my opinion.