Musicracer

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by 3devils, Oct 1, 2010.

1. 3devils

3devils New Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Hi,

a couple of friends and I have just launched our free rythm game called "Musicracer" (MAC+PC) and we are working and iPhone/iPad adaptations right now.

Just wanted to get the word out, please check it out and tell me what you think:
    http://www.musicracer.de/

Yes, it's FREE as in free beer.

bye,
    Thomas

2. Amalah

Amalah Well-Known Member

Awesome, I hope the iPod versions will have access to our music libraries too. :)

3. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Awesome! Sounds pretty cool. Also, is it something like Audiosurf?

4. Amalah

Amalah Well-Known Member

Oh that's worrying, just tried the PC version and Norton is picking it up as a threat. :confused:

5. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    My computer thinks everything's a threat. Usually I would search Google on any info. Also, i found them on facebook. Looks like 21 people like it, so it should be safe. Although maybe you shouldn't attempt it at the moment.

6. Amalah

Amalah Well-Known Member

I won't, never been the risky type.

7. 3devils

3devils New Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Hi,

@Amalah: that's weird - I can assure you there is nothing wrong with the executable.
    I think it couldn't even been infected by accident, because the Windows executable was compiled on a Mac (it's based on Unity3D).

I assume this was just a false alarm, but I'll let our windows guy take a look at it, thanks for the info! (Can you give an exact message on what Norton said it has found? Would be great to narrow down the problem)
    And the game is actually our entry for the Unity Awards 2010, it that is anymore reassuring for you. I really hope you change your mind and give it a try.

But regarding access to music library on iPhone is pretty impossible - Apple won't let developers access the Raw data, they *kinda* let you do that, but it's not good enough for spectrum analysis AFAIK.
    We have one programmer taking a look at it again the next weeks, but I think it will be some kind of manual synchronization necessary.

And it is somewhat like Audiosurf, but with different game modes and visuals. (I believe Audiosurf was a pretty obvious concept in itself I think, wonder why no one ever tried something like it again).
    We happen to believe our analysis is better, but thats on you to decide and varies with the choice of music.
    And we have a Mac client and oh, we don't charge you for it. :)

Have fun,
    Thomas

8. Amalah

Amalah Well-Known Member

Hope this helps somehow. Well the pop up norton gave me is gone now but when I go to my security history in norton it says this:

Severity: High
    Activity: musicracer.exe (musicracer.exe) detected by SONAR
    Date & Time: 02 October 2010 07:58
    Details: Suspicious behavior detected in musicracer.exe

And in File Insight it says:

musicracer.exe
    A program was behaving suspiciously on your computer.
    You chose to block and remove it.

Details:
    Fewer than 10 users in the Norton Community have used this file.
    This file risk is high.

Disappointing about the library access. I thought since an app called Tapic managed some note generation from songs it would be possible, but perhaps just following a beat is more simple.

9. 3devils

3devils New Member

Oct 1, 2010
  10. Amalah

Amalah Well-Known Member

Well that clears that up at least. Looks like the fault lies with Norton.

11. Chronical

Chronical Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    St. Gallen, Switzerland
    It's not a virus. I can assure that.

12. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Found a youtube video of gameplay:

13. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    It looks good, I just wish the dev would work on enabling you to play your own songs. Like that game whose name I'm totally blanking on.

14. Amalah

Amalah Well-Known Member

Tapic?

15. 3devils

3devils New Member

Oct 1, 2010
    @doodlejumper: You can absolutely play your own songs, that's what our game is about. Give it a try. :)

16. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    Oh, okay. And no, not Tapic. It's a racing game of sorts.

17. Alienmario

Alienmario Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    gaming! lol
    idk udk
    not as good as audiosurf (sound detection is worse,just like any music game on appstore by now),graphics aren`t bad, well try yourself

18. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    Audiosurf feels more fluid and streamlined in comparison - however, there is lots of promise here. The graphics are indeed very nice - and I love the more realistic setting compared to the neon tracks of Audiosurf. I would love to see some animation and explosions in the background for things like insane runs or the such.

Beat detection does need some work, as does control - I had the sensitivity way down and it still seemed difficult to line up hits.

Keep up the good work.

19. 270Kp

270Kp Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Beta-Tester
    USA
    Rhythm Racer?

20. Norton is a fault... :D

AVG had no problem with it.

I tried it out anyway, it's not bad. A little on the sparse side (could use some scenery and stuff) and the sound effects were a little distracting (particularly the cowbell-type sound when you collect green cubes) but it seemed to mostly go with the rhythm (slightly off) and was relatively enjoyable. Could use maybe a powerup or two (shield, boost, something like that) but it's a fun little game, I'll give it that.