Universal [AU] Star Wars™: Force Arena (by Netmarble Games Corp.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Morolord, Nov 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morolord

Morolord Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2013
    [Old soft launch thread]

2. Palanthian

Palanthian Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2016
    As a SWGOH player, this looks ... pretty good.

3. KeKhan

KeKhan Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    It's really fun - MOBA style.
    You control a hero, and develop a "deck" which are your spawns (creeps). These get spawned from the hero so they are always where you need them.
    Great idea

I had a problem with lag but I assume it will be fixed

4. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    #4 Montanx, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    Played one game so far and its pretty neat. Small moba style battleground and you control your leader and the deck spawns troops for backup. Will get into it more later.

It seems leaders have unique cards that can only be used in their decks. Like Emperor has his royal guards, so you can only use that card if Emperor is your leader. I played a Han and I think Chewie was his unique card.

The ship cards act as "spells" kind of and just do a fly by and blast the area, while the troops spawn X guys and fight alongside you.

5. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #5 Gwarmaxx, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
    actually it's not a new release, is out from a couple of weeks, they have only changed the name, was Star Wars Battlegrounds.

https://youtu.be/M9Nub64NTH0

6. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    How do I get into beta to play this please?

7. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Not beta, its soft launched so you need an australian app store account.

8. BC1377

BC1377 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    i'm afraid if the game is not profitable enough, the developers might shut it down, just like star wars uprising T_T

9. rhljk14

rhljk14 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Swansea, MA
    The game has potential, but a little basic at the moment. I do have faith that they will continue to improve the game; with network stability and content. Its netmarble and they consistently add contact and improve Marvel Future Fight so I am very optimistic. And....it's Star Wars so it really needs to be bad for me not to play and invest in it.

10. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    This is why we have things that are not nice :D

I'm surprised. The game actually seems to have some - or at the minimum one - innovative elements. A boast not all MOBAs can make. I find myself intrigued, against so much better judgement.

11. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    Like every game. That's the lifespan of live service games-- they keep the servers up until it costs more to maintain them than they have revenue coming in. On the flip side, see Galaxy of Heroes and Commander. Be smart with your money.

Netmarble was behind Marvel Future Flight. They definitely know how to run a live service game and economy, as opposed to Kabam who have struggled with every product that isn't Contest of Champions.

Star Wars Uprising was an awful game with wonderful potential, flawed to its very core. Lack of content, loot crates with absolutely horrible RNG, tedious events. There was no cost-effective way to fix it and the daily active players were dwindling so they cut their losses

12. WhatsMyUserName

WhatsMyUserName New Member

Nov 19, 2016
    #13 WhatsMyUserName, Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    So I started playing this last night, and I think there is a lot of potential.

The gameplay, in my opinion, is Clash Royale meets Moba. Though, in all honesty it has a lot more in common with Clash Royale than it does Vainglory.

The rewards (chest) system, the card "placement" and leveling/collecting, the tiered levels of ranking up. The only real difference between this and clash is you control the movement of your hero.

I am a huge Star Wars fan so this instantly drew me in, the matches are quick- so don't go in expecting them to be MOBA length despite the initial impressions. With that being said, there is a good amount of strategy.

The next thing is, there are levels. Unlike mobas where everything is an even playing field, don't expect that here. You play against people in your tier and if someone has collected enough cards to be a higher level than you, there is a good chance they will win.

If you are a fan of CR this game will make you feel at home, if you are a fan of Star Wars, you will be able to slip into the atmosphere and probably find it enjoyable. If you are looking for a MOBA I would say this is a different take on the genre if you can consider it that.

Others have mentioned the connection issues, since it's still in soft launch I won't comment too much on that- but they are there. Lost a couple Matches because I was sitting there waiting to reconnect, which means like Clash, I was knocked down a rank.

I think this game has a lot of potential, because of Netmarbles Marvel game, I am willing to stick with this and see where it goes, but at the moment it is pretty bare bones, I only find myself playing just for the Star Wars ip and because i feel like an investment in a fledgling Netmarbles game isn't one that feels wasted.

So that's my take on it so far, if anyone has an questions feel free to ask!

13. glutenslayer

glutenslayer New Member

Nov 29, 2016
  14. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Boba Fett is under powered. The other bounty hunters are more powerful than him in this game.... but fett is the most feared n most powerful bounty hunter in universe.

I think his attack should be higher and his speed.

15. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    His "jump over barriers" deal is fantastic. And his ability to do 15% extra damage against heroes is very good. Consider using him like a rogue assassin. Jump in, murder the target, get out.

16. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Yeah, I just got bored with Uprising and its pallet of bland characters and story. I'm surprised we're getting another unrealistic Star Wars mashup of a game. And I'm also surprised that if I want to play a video game of the actual stories in the films, I have to play the LEGO version. Such a missed opportunity. At least the LEGO games are well done and well supported.

17. rune42

rune42 Member

Aug 26, 2014
    In case people are thinking of playing this. They started a rogue one event yesterday. Im expecting this one to release worldwide soon.

18. Palanthian

Palanthian Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2016
    Still waiting for this one, it will be interesting to see what they've done with it.

19. KeKhan

KeKhan Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    How are the servers now? I couldn't even play before