Universal The Blockheads - (by Majic Jungle Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Platyrrhine

Platyrrhine Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Spent $2.99 and you can see my progress on the previous page.

2. NekroWolfen

NekroWolfen Active Member

Dec 28, 2012
    You saw all that I did? And that's not half of it, it was all done for $3.98($2.99 for the double time and $.99 for 200 crystals). And I have found 223 more crystals in my journey to the center of the world. So I feel like buying more crystals? No, I'm having enough fun, unless you are a desperate who has no sense on the concept of leveling and working hard to get things done then maybe you'll have to buy more crystals. I like to work hard, in that way the game last a LOT more and it feels good when you reach a goal by yourself.

People need to understand, the game basically cost $3.98-or more, it's free for you to try it. Mine craft costs 6.99, that $4 bucks under. I've spend more time in this game than Ravensword 2, a game that cost me $6.99.

3. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I agree with the above. I bought the half time iap and I'm playing to get crystals, I want the game to last for ages so I don't want to speed things up by buying extra crystals. This way it will last ages and you have goals to aim for.

4. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    This. I already have my second blockhead and lots of materials ( not a single architectural marvel though) and im really enjoying the exploration aspect of the game.

The only thing ive bought is the time doubler, the timer can get a bit annoying but its really not that bad .

5. Platyrrhine

Jan 6, 2012
    If the timer is so annoying for people, they should just do something else while they wait. The only time it's really annoying is when you're waiting 20 minutes for 30 bronze ingots or something similar. Just play the game while you watch tv or a movie.

6. Jackyhk

Jackyhk Active Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Game Impressions

At first you saw trailers you believed it was a good concept. I mean, this is basically the Minecraft version of Terraria, how can this go wrong? Well, it kind of did. I am not saying this is a bad game, but honestly.... it's not really there yet to be a great game.

1) Design became obvious after you got into the game for the first 5 minutes that it was oriented to be a freemium. A Timer + a Cash Shop = Freemium. Everyone can see it. It's one thing that you can "save" money if you know what you are doing with your in game cash, but a freemium is a freemium....

2) The control is kind of annoying. This is more of a personal thing. But I don't enjoy using my touchpad like a mouse. I wish they had an option to play with virtual gamepad

3) Well, this game is far from finish. It's obvious based on the lack of NPCs, especially the always popular hostile mobs. No one really enjoys roaming in a world that is only of themselves and donkeys, I suppose.

I would say game could have been done better. The game is being updated I am sure. But whatever potential this has, a freemium is always a deal breaker for me, especially when you never know what new ways the developer has in updating the "premium" part of the game and somehow trick you to willingly spend extra cash for more contents.

7. Dannyz2000

Dannyz2000 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Can you restore the half time in app purchase on another device? Or do i have to buy it again?

8. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    You can restore it... you will have to hit 'purchase' again, and put in your password, but it will tell you that you've already purchased it and that it'll be free.

**this is not the case with crystals... those can not be restored on another device.

9. JagerBombS

JagerBombS Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    I'm kind of shocked by the enthusiasiam for this game. I personally am completely turned away by the pace of it. I would probably enjoy it if I could buy a time eraser and not just a doubler. Seriously, it's atrocious. I know there is fun in exploration to be had here, but i cant get past making a shovel without falling asleep or spending money. If this was made by zynga or gamevil or a freemium pusher everyone would be furious. I want to play games....not stare at my screen, while my toon stares at a workbench....or digs slower than dirt. To each his own I suppose.

10. Platyrrhine

Jan 6, 2012

But no, it was made by one guy who has to support himself and his wife, if not others as well. He's in an extremely competitive environment where paid apps by individuals have almost no chance of making it. The wait times are fair imo.

Besides, if you were actually making a shovel, would it happen instantly?

11. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you there. There's definitely fun to be had with the game, and I think overall the dev has done a good job, however the freemium mechanic of having to wait for things really ruins the whole experience in my opinion. Even with the time doubler the higher tier items take ages to finish and when I play a game i play for fun not so I can watch a progress bar slowly fill up on my screen..that's just not fun at all.

In my opinion the $2.99 IAP should have completely removed the timer on things. It would be a much more enjoyable game that way.

12. JagerBombS

JagerBombS Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    I can appreciate the work that has been done on this game. I like the concept and the style, and think it could be a good game. I understand the effort to make money on your hard work, hell, I hope it's very successful for him. I just don't understand this freemium model which is restricted by timers. I know a lot of freemium games are successful by this method but they all are real time timers, so you can leave the game and come back to it and your building/crafting is done. This game forces you to use the premium currency or stare at the screen for several minutes while doing absolutely nothing. I'm not trying to bash the game, I just wish there was a different approach to it, that's all. I'm normally not one to complain about prices, I might even buy the time doubler to see if it makes it more enjoyable and I don't feel like the need to buy crystals is essential for enjoyment.

13. grits

grits Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    I went into this game very skeptically. Played a lot of Minecraft on PC. The freemium mechanic could be annoying but this game is actually really good and quite fun. We will have to see if the time based mechanics are balanced. So far I paid $.99 to get some things moving along.
    Right now I'm having a lot of fun and it feels very addicting. If I have to waste too much time or money though, I'll be putting an end to it.

14. soccerbeats

soccerbeats New Member

Jan 15, 2013
    trees

does anyone know how to plant trees?:confused:
    please help!!

15. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Take some fruit and press on the ground,

16. mondoz

mondoz Well-Known Member

May 31, 2012
    If he had charged 6 bucks to unlock something that nearly eliminates the timers, I would have bought that. I am not against the guy charging for his game, but the model here detracts from my desire to pay for it.

17. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #277 VirtualBoyFreak, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
    I wouldn't have explained it better... Except that I only bought the half-time IAP, no crystals. Enough with the crystals you find in caves. Some tips for newbies who won't buy crystals, aside from the ones in the TA article:

1. "Like" the game on Facebook. It won't harm you, and you'll get 50 crystals.
    2. A second Blockhead is not "recommendable", it's a "must", And quickly. While one is digging, the other can prepare tools, lamps and clothes, harvest, etc.
    3. Be VERY careful with the "use XX crystals" button to accelerate things. There is no confirmation screen as in other games such as Tiny Tower. If you click by mistake and you have enough crystals, you will use them. If you don't have enough, it will take you to the "buy crystals" screen.
    4. You can play without the half timer, but if you really like the game, buy it at least to help/support the dev. You will also appreciate it when developing more complex tools. I don't regret spending the nearly 3€ it cost me.

The mining part of this game reminds me a lot to "Gem miner: dig deeper" on Android. I'm very happy with its simplicity, and even though I was doubtful about continuing playing some pages ago, I am very happy with the decision I made. Anyway, back to playing a bit ;)

This is the best developed game regarding "waiting" and "phone standby mode" that I've seen in ages. Put a Blockhead to build 50 shovels and leave the phone on the table. It won't go to standby mode until it finishes or you run out of resources to build the item. Really appreciated.

18. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    I am quite enjoying this game, am only an hour or so into it.

19. airwa1k

airwa1k Active Member

Nov 11, 2012
    Or your battery runs dead from the screen being on because I'm forced too. And you can't play the game with any real enjoyment without the half timer at the very minimum. Now I agree to support devs. 100%

However to design your game or app so you are forced to buy iAP is another thing altogether. It would seem you are being forced alot in this app. Except to keep playing. I have quite the collection of apps and have purchased quite a bit of iAP downloads. The difference is I enjoyed the game and felt justified in purchasing something extra to give support. I want more games. I love the main idea behind this game. I just feel the iAP is approached in the wrong way. Support who you want how you want. Just my view.

20. MartianLM

MartianLM Member

Oct 7, 2011
    #280 MartianLM, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
    I'm loving the game. I have hundreds of games and I can count on one hand the number of games where I've ponied up and paid for IAPs, this is one of them (£1.99 for the crafting reduction), and even then I didn't really need to do it. It's easy to play this game for free, I really don't see it as forcing IAP on you. Forced IAP are games where you can't get the top-end gear without IAP currency, this is not that, IAP just cut crafting times, nothing more. I can understand the timers are not to everyone's taste, and long waits are not a standard mobile/tablet mechanic, the audience tends to have less time and patience than other mediums. I'm finding I get much more of a sense of achievement from everything I do because there is a time investment in it.

I actually have very little free time (wife/job/kids) and I like the way I can play this game in fragments by setting the avatar doing long tasks while I get on with real life tasks, and it doesn't matter if I end up being away from the game for a long time unexpectedly, it won't cost me anything in-game. I think perhaps that's one of the love/hate issues with the game - people with more free time are more likely to want to sit down with it for 30 minutes and really get stuff done, but it's not that sort of game. It actually works really well if you can only play it while doing other things.

The only thing I'd really like is if it could continue crafting even if you switch to a different program.

Or grab the seeds plants drop and plant them in the ground. With most small plants (e.g. flax and sunflowers) if you harvest them (machete) when they're flowering you get 3-5 seeds per plant so can then plant many more, and sunflower seeds can be made into oil. The entire roof of my house if covered in sunflowers :)