iPhone Baldur's Gate Enhance Edition for iPad

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Trayray, Mar 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    So, did they say somewhere if kits/new classes and quick weapon switch from BG2 are included in the new and improved BG EE? Always wanted to play the whole trilogy through as a sorcerer...

2. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I know there's some kits and classes from BG2 imported into BG:EE, but I'm not sure if there's a quick weapon switch. In fact, I don't remember there was such an option in BG2....?
    I'm probably wrong about that, my memory isn't what it once was...
    I know there was quick weapon switch in one or both of the Icewind Dale games.

Good news for you: Sorcerer is now a playable character in BG:EE. :)

3. jayjayjay

jayjayjay Active Member

Nov 3, 2012
    i love D&D!!!

4. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    #244 Bytebrain, Nov 18, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  5. Roughneck

Roughneck New Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Film director, DOP
    Montreal, QC
    I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything on Google about this; is it going to be retina-ready? I just made the switch to an iPad3 and I'm having panic attacks at the thought of blurry backgrounds.

God, still 10 days to go!

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    You have no idea how long I went feeling like I was the only person to live this reccurring nightmare. Non-native resolutions are the scourge of the gaming world.

I'm not expecting this game to look like it was made from scratch with retina in mind, but a crisp UI, text and menu screens should be a necessity.

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Ideally i want everything crisp but i'm still not that bothered by retina graphics etc. I see a lot of people who wont buy an app if its not retina, often i must admit i cant tell too much of a difference !

I come from a day when games were 16 colours or 256, again its all about the gameplay, granted you want the graphics to look great but for me personally i'm just excited to play Baldurs Gate on my ipad retina or not. Just being able to have it is great.

8. Roughneck

Roughneck New Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Film director, DOP
    Montreal, QC
    Haha I perfectly understand. I was upset when I saw FIFA 13 UI looked even more pixelated than the previous on the iPad3, but I can live with that since I only see it when the game launches. But If I'm to be squinting for 300+ hours on small pixelated items in my inventory blurry portraits and spell lists, I'll go crazy.

9. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I don't know about retina, but for me, it's not important at all. I can't for the life of me see the difference in any of the retina ready games I have on my iPad 2 and iPad 3 when I compare them. I can see it easily on web pages and reading books.

That being said, the graphics in the game is the same as always, but they're using some fancy technics so it'll be more clear and less pixelations, that's very necessary as they've added the zoom feature, without which, the game would have been unplayable in high resolutions.

Also, the backgrounds wouldn't be more blurry on an retina ready iPad compared to iPad 2 if the game doesn't use retina.
    Games without retina isn't necessarily "blurry".. Nobody thought so before the retina screens where invented, so I find the notion strange.

10. Roughneck

Roughneck New Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Film director, DOP
    Montreal, QC
    I dont feel that non-retina games are blurry on my iPad2, but some games translate better to a retina screen than most. The Amazing Spiderman seems to be upscaled and looks really good, but on the other side, Wasted Lands look horrible. It mainly depends on the texture, as I can live with a pixelated 3D model. My concern was more directed to the interface, text, items and the pixel hunting that sometimes goes on in BB. I feel it could easily turn into a headache on a retina device if it's not optimized properly.

But considering it is launching on desktops as well mean the art resolution probably isn't stuck to 1024x768 and will be hi-res

11. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I'm sure it'll look just fine, also the UI and the text. They've used a different font, so it'll upscale better on different resolutions.

Unfortunately it will not be HD resolution as the original assets were lost. They don't have the option to render the original backgrounds and paperdolls in HD, but have instead used some graphics wizardry to make them look good in different resolutions.

Here's an excerpt from their web page:

1. The source art assets for Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate: Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal are lost.

All the original area art, paperdolls, monsters and character models are lost with the exception of a few 3D models of monsters from Throne of Bhaal. There is nothing anyone can do about it. Therefore, it is not possible for the devs to deliver Baldur's Gate HD, and/or re-render any art at higher resolutions. Significant modifications to sprites, like displaying cloaks and hats, adding new/more armor styles, or removing the mirroring effect from BG2 animations, are also off-limits.

As per Trent Oster, the devs are currently limited to the existing animations. There will be no new animations in BG:EE, so it is no use to ask for them. Recreating character models from scratch and rendering them at high resolution is out of question, because it would take more time and resources than are currently available to the devs. Also, recreating character models alone is not an option, as they would look glaringly better than all monsters that weren't re-rendered; if something got redone, then everything else should get the same treatment for the sake of visual consistency, thus making this an even more demanding (and unfeasible) task.

In light of the above, it doesn't make much sense to request new monsters, as they won't have distinctive animations to go (and I personally believe Baldur's Gate already has enough monsters that share the same animation or a recolored version of the same animation).

If you're interested in the full rundown on stuff that they weren't able/allowed to do, you can click this link:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/1588/bgee-please-read-list-of-things-that-cant-be-done/p1

Alternatively, you can read about what they've been able to do/change/enhance here:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/2041/bgee-please-read-list-of-things-that-have-been-announced/p1

This last link only describes what have been announced. Much more stuff is surely included in the final release, and more will come in future DLC's.

12. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    I played the PC version of BG1,BG2,IWD1 and 2 on my Ipad3
    and they are not blurry at all... so I am asuming that this version will be crisp as well :)
    Got my account already filled with $$$..awaiting for the 28th :)

13. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Just a bit more on the subject of graphical enhancements for those with Retina concerns - this is from the FAQ:

What are some improvements we will see with Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition?

1) Improved user interface. The old Baldur's Gate interface was created around 640x480 resolution. We are going in and re-writing the UI system to work for multiple larger resolutions and we are using the iPad 3 (at 2048x1536) as one of our target resolutions.

2) Convert the graphics completely over to OpenGL. By using the hardware present in all devices, we can run BG at higher resolutions and run it faster and smoother that it ever could before.

3) The addition of the ability to zoom in and out dynamically during gameplay.

From the feature announcement thread:

VISUAL ENHANCEMENTS

Native support for high resolutions.

BG:EE natively supports high resolutions in 4:3, 16:9 and 16:10 format up to 2880x1800. All original art assets, including sprites and background art, will be upscaled in real time to adapt to the chosen screen resolution without incurring visual artifacts (e.g. shrinking, stretching, etc.). Cutmull-Rom Bicubic filtering will be used to ensure that all supported resolutions display sharp graphics.

14. Quantus

Quantus Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Let's hope the text isn't too small for the Mini.

15. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    yay.... 8 more days....

Game must in review now.....

16. Talaen

Talaen Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    I wouldn't assume it is in review, but I sure hope it is!

17. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    I think they would off said something if they sent the game for review. I really hope I'm wrong but I don't think this d game is going to make the release date.

18. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    There's been quite a few interviews lately with Trent Oster and others from Overhaul and Beamdog, and the game is released Nov 28 for sure, at least on pc.

On Mac and iOS, it's up to Apple as always, the game have to go through the approval process.

19. Dreamshadow

Dreamshadow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Right now, I'm assuming the game will go to Apple for review on the 28th. It's a shame, but that's keeping me sane for now.

20. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    I'm talking about for ios. I'm sure they will release it for pc then, but unless the game was submitted last week, it's not going to make the 28 th. Now if that's is going to be the date it's submitted to Apple it's going to b ed close if it makes it through before the end of the year.

Again, I really hope I'm wrong as this is one of my most anticipated games I'm just prepared to be disappointed on the 28th.