Universal Contra: Evolution (by PunchBox Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    Wow, can not wait. I remember playing this pretty much all day when I was 12:D

2. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Sweet maybe it comes tonight or wensday

3. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Correct. And there is an iap for $1 (6 yuan) that states Small EXP Pack. Published by Punchbox Studios, developed by Beijing Chukong Aipu Technology Co, Ltd, and copyrighted under Konami. Punchbox does have titles in the US store so there is a ray of hope.

Edit: Supported languages are Chinese and English.

4. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    How bad is iap?

5. CygnetSeven

Feb 6, 2010
    Just reading off the Chinese iTunes, not sure what else is in there but the word 'small' makes me feel there is more. It wouldn't be hard for me to set up a chinese itunes account cause my wife is chinese. If it doesn't come out this week or so I may go for it.

Oh, and download file size is 45 mb. I think that about covers it. Hurry up and wait now.

6. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Is there any reason why this wouldn't hit the US App Store?:confused:

7. I wonder why it released in China first, but cool, hope the game is good. Not made by dotemu right?

8. CygnetSeven

Feb 6, 2010
    Punchbox Studio has very many games in the Chinese market and yet only five in the US store. It may not have an interest in foreign markets. But then again a lot of Konami's games are, but not all. The only thing that confuses me is why did Konami allow them to release it instead of releasing it themselves. My "conspiracy theory" senses are tingling.

9. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    What if its not "great" not as bad as the metal slug clone but not as good as the actual contra for nes and snes? I know its by konami but still does seem fishy

10. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    Please be good. Please come to us store. PLEASEEEE

11. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Also on HK Apps Store

12. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    According to HK Store price:

Contra Revolution (iPhone) is about US$1.99

13. CygnetSeven

Feb 6, 2010
    In my opinion, most of these type of ports fall into that class, the XMen arcade game, Atari, Activision, etc. I really don't expect this to be any different. It won't suck but it won't be stellar either.

14. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I'd rather have Shattered Soldier.

15. BallsToTheWall

BallsToTheWall Active Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Its probably because Konami is testing the water. Many publishers does this too and they usually release a game in Canada or NZ first to gauge the interest (and fixing up the bugs and polishing up the release), before publishing it to the rest of the world.

16. KoRoV

KoRoV Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    I sure hope its like that :D I meen... Its Contra and there should be no reason to not come out world wide, right? :)

17. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    I tried the HD version for iPad, the control is not that good, less than responsive at the downward directions.

It is a hard game, that is for sure.

There is the original arcade mode and mission mode. The latter breaks down each stage and there is a set of targets (points, time, number of deaths) for you to beat.

There is IAP to buy "diamonds" for continue. So much after 30-minute of play.

18. OmKol

OmKol Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Moscow, Russia
    Good graphics, arranged soundtrack. But terrible gameplay. NES version is better.

19. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Publishing in China, the worlds largest population also known for the largest amount of piracy makes no sense according to your theory though. There is a reason why Canada and New Zealand are the go to locations for such soft launches. But we can all hope that my skepticism is wrong. Either way, I will have a wait and see approach even if this does hit my (U.S.) store eventually. The fact that it is a Chinese developer makes me weary enough. No offense meant to their software development industry, but my experience has been disappointing with their apps, especially when it comes to major title releases like this. My last big burn was the Justice League game which was phenomenally lackluster in every respect... I'll wait and watch before I plunge in.

Besides, I've wasted more quarters and worn out more controllers than I can remember, so while I love the game, I don't know if I can still be "in love" with it after twenty five or so years of playing it since its first release... But then again being an old fogey I am an oddity in the sense that I have never been one for nostalgia purely for nostalgia's sake! Here's hoping that it does release and that it is actually competent and good!

20. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #40 Bool Zero, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
    I remember beating the game in 30 minutes of play on a regular basis! Do the controls feel intentionally hampered or just due to improper testing? What I mean is, do the inputs seem intentionally and consistently "lagging" or is it an issue of control spottiness where inputs sometimes don't register and such? Does it present both traits? This is somewhat a way to tell when a developer has done so to nudge the IAP model by tipping the control scale. Most developers will deny it, but in this day and age of pushing the IAP currency model, it happens more often than not.

Also, is it safe to say this s the arcade version of Contra?