Universal Cards and Castles (by Bit Mass LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Bewi, Apr 11, 2014.

1. peterpunk72

peterpunk72 Active Member

Feb 16, 2013
    It is a nice game. Appealing graphics and mechanics. Freemium does seem generous.
    My only complaint is text is a little small to read.
    I cannot see units stats once summoned, do a miss something?
    Should deserve more attention

2. johnnysilver

johnnysilver New Member

Nov 30, 2012
  3. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    I stumbled on this thread and decided to give this game another try..well, it must have been updated because I don't remember it being this good when I first tried it. Hopefully it will get more attention because it's a simple but challenging game that has a lot of potential.

4. Grungebob

Grungebob Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Really enjoying this game!

5. melvin2898

melvin2898 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2011
    More people should check out this game. It's one of my favorites!

6. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Playing Async friendly matches I am not receiving CP's. Shows the toast message that I won 0 CP's. From reading the official forums I understand you are supposed to win CP's. Anyone else seen this?

7. Vontre

Vontre Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Is your game using random matchmaking?

8. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Nope. Playing versus a friend on my friend list.

9. Vontre

Vontre Member

Apr 13, 2014
    That's why, you can only get CP for random games.

10. countBasil

countBasil Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 30, 2012
    Really can't believe how fun, charming, and strategic this game is! And not pestering you for purchases! They seem to be developing actively as well.

11. Menezesmaia

Menezesmaia Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Wow, this game is amazing.

12. Kallizm

Kallizm Active Member

Dec 21, 2013
    e-Learning Designer
    Indianapolis, IN
    The change to take-backs coming with tonight's patch may break the game for me, :(

13. Vontre

Vontre Member

Apr 13, 2014
    If I may, I know people have gotten a little attached to the undo mechanic but our playtesters got used to the new restrictions very quickly. It keeps the game flowing forward more smoothly and gets rid of some cheesy card-draw mechanics. I think you will definitely have a few moments where you mess up because of the change, but it's pretty quick to get used to and plays much better overall. :)

14. EvanJO14

EvanJO14 New Member

Feb 4, 2015
    There is a critical bug in the auto build deck thing. Once you press it and it gets more than four cards of one kind, it wants to put in more, causing the error message "You cannot have more than four cards of the same kind in this deck" to flash rapidly.

15. Vontre

Vontre Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Thanks! I just fixed this and it will be patched in with the next update. :)

16. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I've no idea how I have overlooked this so long. It's quite brilliant.

The gameplay itself is very accessible, but not entirely casual, and as long as the devs keep adding cards, the game will constantly grow in depth, or at least width.

Charming Munchkin-style graphics, but with their own absurd twist, perfect to keep the art asset budget down but still present an attractive title.

But it is the abundance of features that surprised me. Casual, ranked as well as sealed deck-type online play, with both async and live matches (finally). Daily quests. Hearthstone-style crafting and disenchanting of cards. Plus a generous single player mode (with quite a few short campaigns, most of which containt several scenarios, and award the player both in-game currency (non-IAP) and new cards).

Add to that a generous freemium model, where the player can earn unlimited amounts of the virtual currency (which can eventually unlock everything in game, no absolute paywalls), and even practice against the easy AI offers a currency reward.

While not an in-depth CCG (or TBS), it is still the closest I've come to scratching the itch suspended in the void left behind by Recollection.

Recommended to ANY fan of turn-based titles or card games. Or of fun.

17. CoreyFox

CoreyFox Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Yes, I agree.. and it just got a LOT better too.. Big update..

18. Vontre

Vontre Member

Apr 13, 2014
    I know this isn't mobile related strictly, but if any of you are interested in playing this on Steam, we are going onto Early Access midnight tonight! We've also got a killer package deal through the Steam purchase that can apply to your mobile accounts too!

19. melvin2898

melvin2898 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2011
    I haven't been having much fun with the game after you changed the way it was played. Plus all my decks are gone. I almost wish you included a "Cards And Castles Classic Mode" or something.

20. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Just picked this up - not bad. Few crashes on older devices, and a bit random, but quite accessible.