iPad Stair Dismount - The Official thread of Love and Fractures

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Frand, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    #101 Boardumb, Nov 27, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
    Hmmmm, interesting. I honestly don't know anything about that situation, but now I'm curious. I'll have to get lost down that rabbit hole sometime.

Another hmmmmmm. I see what you mean. Let me ask an honest question. If the two devs had discussed the matter privately, and iDD willingly took the keyword out, and then you happened to hear about it, would you condemn Secret Exit in the same way? I guess I feel like Secret Exit are just doing what they are obligated to do to protect their trademark, and others are thinking it's shady and they're worried about sales. I don't think that's true, but I could be wrong. After all, it IS all about making money. But my feeling is that in this particular situation Secret Exit wasn't acting with malicious intent.

Plainly, do you guys feel that they are not within their right doing this? Or they are within their right, but the fact that they're doing it is what you're frowning upon?

Edit: ^^^Sorry to go on about the subject! Ummmmm, also, I'm in love with this game :D That new staircase looks awesome!

2. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    Ok. My last post on this topic too. The funny thing is SciFi is trademarkable if you were using it for something other than SciFi-related topic. If I wanted to create a computer called the "SciFi", I could trademark it. So it's not just being a common word, it's using it in a non-obvious way. (hence, Apple, Windows)

arn

3. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    On topic, please add the following level in an update :p:

[​IMG]

4. TimoVihola

TimoVihola Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Creative Director at Mountain Sheep inc
    I think OS 3.1 actually does have some improvements that were made to the graphics driver.

I bought the game and played for good 40 minutes - definitely worth the price, it has lots and lots and lots of polish!

Few ideas:

For some reason I started thinking about iBlast Moki and how cool it would be to aim the ragdoll at cetain objects... ie. get extra points for hitting certain objects in the stairs.

At the moment it's a bit hard to tell how much you're damaging the puppet because there's only that brief sign of coloring on the rag doll right after it takes damage. It flashes red but maybe the part could become more and more worn out as it accumulates damage (but keep the red flashes in addition to that - they work very well).

Another thing I would like to see is some increase in the maximum force you can apply - maybe vary it depending on level so it doesn't spoil the smaller levels, at the moment it's a bit too reserved for my taste. Stiletto is fun but I would like something even wilder like the stairs of a ski jumping tower hehe

Also it would be funny if the character yelled something silly as you push it off the ledge, but I know Apple can be sensitive about that sort of thing so it's definitely risky move.

5. JanB

JanB Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    That there...would be AMAZING

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Timo's ideas are great, for the damage another good solution would be to have the limbs gradually get more and more red with the damage, the same way it's shown on the damage stats screen... but actually in-game.

Plus... the thing that BOARDUMB posted. Obviously it doesn't have to be quite as polished and detailed as that but it's certainly a cool theme for a level.

7. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    That's a good way to think outside the box. :)

I've finally decided to pick up Stair Dismount. I'll be back later with my thoughts. In case anyone wonders, my decision to pick up the game was made after watching this thread, obviously, but more specifically; an early response by Frand about feedback I pm'ed to him as well as reading through Secret Exits website forums and just generally the respect and pride that Frand has for Secret Exits games, the community and the way the future of the culture in which Secret Exits games are intended to invoke are handled.

8. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Does Mr. Dismount have "sticky" hands? I seem to experience the phenomenon of him holding on for dear life on the edges. Just wondering if this is a feature or a bug.

9. Mr. Clean

Mr. Clean Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Nowhere, CA
    #109 Mr. Clean, Nov 27, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
    stair dismount!

i picked up this little gold nugget of a game...er entertainment app...yesterday. i gotta say im really enjoying it so far....i own max injury also but this one takes the cake for sure.

like many others have said before...its extremely polished. the amount of detail is even pretty amazing....even tho its just plain ol stairs and a all white dummy...they made it look mighty professional. you can even see cracks on the stairs/ground from where you hit on the attempt before. i even like the music they have playing. its soothing...mellow...perfect for throwing somebody down stairs.haha

someone said they were experiencing sticky hands? i am too...he does try and hold on from time to time.haha its pretty funny tho...

as for suggestions.....

i read that someone asked for a target er something....that if you were to land on the target youd get extra points. that sounded pretty cool. somebody else said wear n tear on the dummy...that would be cool.

i dunno...as long as they keep throwing in more levels...ill be satisfied.

happy thanksgiving everybody!

10. polyfonken

polyfonken Well-Known Member

It's a fug. Fug's are slight bugs that make things more fun, I've always enjoyed him grasping ledges and am pretty sure it will not get fixed. I hope.

11. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call it a bug at all, because it's a pleasant side effect of the way the physics simulation is running:

You'll notice that in all the levels, the ragdoll isn't "hard" in the way that it reflects off impacts like the shell was solid. Instead the ragdoll slightly interpenetrates with objects, similar to how a soft object flexes at the surface.

In some cases this makes the hands go slightly inside solid objects, and then the simulation slowly pushes them apart. This makes Mr. Dismount grab ledges and hang from them.

And no, we don't want to change that behavior :)

(Okay, so I guess it's a fug but only if we agree that it's a fug without a bug :D )

12. monk666

monk666 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Yeah, you are right. But SciFi channel... eh... is.. where you watch SciFi stuff!!! :D Wouldn't make sense if they start showing looney toons, heck they couldn't even show the jetsons! HAHA. Anyways, last post on the topic. Peace.

13. tonic

tonic Active Member

Feb 25, 2009

Tech reason: The 3.1 introduces a display link tech which allows better performance for updating screen.

In the past we had gained the similar performance by a different solution, but it was one which was really hard to use with any kind of native UI being integrated to the game.

This feature added in 3.1 update allowed us to move away from that old solution and still retain the performance, but also integrate native UI things more easily such as sending the snapshots with email and integrating Facebook support.

I don't know if 3.1 has any extra DRM measures. At least the warez users who feel that price of french fries or half a hamburger is too much already seem to have be warezing the game. :/

14. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

#114 Frand, Nov 28, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
    Mr. Dismount has arrived at Facebook:
    Mr. Dismount's profile

We can all add the best Dismount Moment photos as fan photos and create the world's largest library of dynamic event documentation :D

Also, the first post updated to reflect our plan for the upcoming 1.2.0 update.

15. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Vertical dismounting, I hear, is becoming all the rage:

[​IMG]

(Just finished, tested, put in the game, and to be included in the update.)

16. Mr. Crazy

Mr. Crazy Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2009
    England
    Are you thinking of being out a lite?

17. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Not at this time, sorry. The Mac and PC versions of the original Dismount games are free for download from our website.

18. thegamerocks06

thegamerocks06 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Student
    India
    That looks amazing!

19. Mr. Crazy

Mr. Crazy Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2009
    England
    Ok, cool :D!

20. colorsound

colorsound Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Video Game Developer / Photographer / Graphic Arti
    Detroit, MI
    Hey Frand (Jani) , Great game, great job - I Got this right when it released.
    I have actually been waiting a long time for this one. I am a big Fan of Secret Exit.

Two questions:

#1 - Do you know when the update should be submitted and how many Levels / Stairsets it will include? (Love the tower by the way!)

#2 - Any chance of adding the Truck into this game (like a 'truck dismount' add-on? - Sorry if this has been asked!)

Keep up the great work, You guys make some of the coolest games on the planet!