First video of Bathtime Boogie!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Rowan Edmondson, May 13, 2011.

1. Rowan Edmondson

Rowan Edmondson Active Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Creative Dude, Dobsoft
    Hi forum!

My name's Rowan Edmondson, designer/creative director for Dobsoft Studios (Bull Stampede Pro / Lite ).

We're proud to show off some early video from our current project "Bathtime Boogie".

While it may loosely be described as a vertical shooter, we're confident it's unlike any you've played before. If you'd like to know more about the game, please drop by our blog, The Dobblog (www.dobsoftstudios.wordpress.com) , to follow our progress.

I have to stress there's plenty more to the gameplay than what we're showing at the moment, but all will be revealed in the coming days. Hopefully we'll have this puppy submitted to apple within a couple of weeks, and people everywhere can catch epilepsy from the colour overload.

Enjoy!

2. stonery

stonery Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Editor
    Neverland
    Looks simple and fun. But the octopus and other characters need to better design, they look rough and unfriendly especially their facial expression.

3. Rowan Edmondson

Apr 18, 2011
    Creative Dude, Dobsoft
    Thanks Stonery!

Your observation that the enemies appear unfriendly is certainly true. You may however notice that they become much happier after being shot in the face and encased in a bubble. You may also see that the squid enemy becomes increasingly happy as his legs are blown off.

4. stonery

Apr 1, 2011
    Editor
    Neverland
    oh, sorry for my unwary observation. The change of the enemies' facial expression is awesome from which I can see the gameplay is fun. But the graphics and enemies' images could be more polished.

5. Rowan Edmondson

Apr 18, 2011
    Creative Dude, Dobsoft
    #5 Rowan Edmondson, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011
    Sure. In fairness, the project is just entering the polish phase so you can expect an extremely polished product at launch. The style of the enemy characters is quite intentional, although it's hard to convey the over-arching visual style in a short clip removed from the wider context of the game. Most of our art is actually being handled by kawaii guru Tesha Beaudry ( http://thecuteinstitute.com/ ), which may perhaps give a better idea of the general creative direction.

6. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    I have a suggestion. Maybe the plane should be a bit above where your finger is so you can see it?

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep good point above, totally agree

Like the look of this, like vertical shoot em ups but theres only so many WWII planes you can shoot down.

The way you then 'pop' the enemies after shooting them looks good and different from the usual 'shoot 10 planes to get a power up'. Looking forward to this

8. WillDobson

WillDobson Well-Known Member

Hi guys, I'm the director of Dobsoft Studios and am the one in charge of the technical side of things. Thanks so much for your comments!

In reply to the question about the plane being hidden under your finger, we're actually using a relative touch system where you can put your finger down anywhere on-screen and move the plane around (and it doesn't jump to your finger's location). It's sort of hard to explain but if you've played a shmup with this setting before you'll know exactly what I mean. So the plane sometimes being behind the finger in our demo vid is really just how the demoer was choosing to play it.

In any case, we will try to do a better job of showing off the versatility of the relative touch movement in the next video. Appreciate the feedback, thanks again!

9. stonery

Apr 1, 2011
    Editor
    Neverland
    You just evoked me. I have endured so many times.

10. stonery

Apr 1, 2011
    Editor
    Neverland
    But their style is much cuter with fine art.