EA's New Gaming/Socail Platform

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by SirAwesome, Jun 3, 2011.

1. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    From Pocket Gamer's website:

EA has just announced the launch of Origin, a gaming platform along the lines of Valve's incredibly successful Steam service.

Origin, which will be available either online at www.origin.com (currently "in the middle of an upgrade") or as a desktop application, launches with 150 games from EA and 'Partner' studios, and over the coming months it'll expand its library – among the promised titles is the download version of Star Wars: The Old Republic, which will be exclusive to the service.

In a press release, EA Global Online senior vice president David DeMartini describes Origin as, “a download service for the very best content from EA and its partners. It also offers a social function which, over time, will connect a player’s profile with friends lists and a cross-platform feed that shows what your friends are playing and where.”

Why are we, Pocket Gamer, writing about a PC gaming platform?

Because Origin will also be available on mobile, integrating its services into EA's “leading smartphone titles”. That almost certainly means iPhone and Android. The press release name-checks Scrabble and the forthcoming Battlefield 3, but there are several other obvious iOS candidates for the social platform treatment.

Sounds interesting to say they least. I'm thinking that this is why they havent had any game center games. The concept is cool but I kinda would prefer gamecenter as its a centralized service.

2. Livett

Livett Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Oxford
    Interesting that it includes the mobile platform.

I shall be keeping a close eye on this.

Thanks.

3. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

But gamecenter is iOS only, this sounds like it's going to be cross platform with Android and WP7-and that makes more sense than limitiing itself to one device.

4. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    hmm. Interesting. I wonder if Macs are included.