Pickpawcket [Universal Action/Puzzler by Loopycube]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Blackharon, Jun 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    #1 Blackharon, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Loopycube is excited to announce our follow up to "Go Native" which we'll be calling “Pickpawcket”. Pickpawcket will be released this summer. That’s all I’m telling for now here, but if you follow us on Facebook you’ll be able to see what we’ve been telling our fans about the game for the past few weeks, including hints about content, some of the in game art and other various stories we have had to tell.

If you don't use Facebook, then you'll just have to wait until my next post for more information!

2. Blackharon

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    [​IMG]

The story starts with thieving dogs. They are dastardly, devilish, dirty dogs that can’t paint.

Pickpawcket is a action/puzzle game where the dogs are the enemies. Don't trust any dogs.

3. Blackharon

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    [​IMG]

You, the player, playing as a clever cat that has the skills required to beat the dogs at their own game.

Pickpawcket will be a universal app, and feature Game Center leaderboards and 30 Game Center achievements.

4. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Any game play spoiler?

5. Blackharon

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    We'll be working on a gameplay video this week, so hopefully the end of this week or the beginning of next we'll have that to share with you. Gotta bug the video guys some more about it.

6. Blackharon

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    [​IMG]

Your task, should you choose to accept it, is to retrieve all of cat-kind’s art from the dogs. It’s no menial task, there are plenty of guard dogs, traps and even an intricate laser system they’ve been working on between you and the priceless cat-culture art.

7. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    We can't really get hyped about this since all we don't have an idea what type of game it is.

8. Blackharon

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    All in due time. My next post should be much more informative.

Or you could pass by our Facebook page and see the screenshots we're releasing today and tomorrow.

9. Blackharon

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    [​IMG]

Pickpawcket features intuitive easy to understand controls, beautiful graphics, game center leaderboards and achievements and about 6 hours of excitement for all kinds of iPhone gamers. No word on the pricing yet – but I guarantee you it’ll be a steal!

[​IMG]

As I said before the game boiled down the the bare necessities is avoid the dogs while picking up the paintings and running out the door with them. The image above is as simple as a level gets with just one dog wandering around.

[​IMG]

You have 10 abilities and obstacles to learn to deal with. One of the earliest tools you get are disguises. They are good enough to fool the dogs for a short time, so use them wisely!

Interesting note: The disguised cat is so cute it was ALMOST our icon. It ended up getting replaced by our current icon.

[​IMG]

As they lose artwork the dogs pick up a trick or two. In the 2nd museum - dubbed the Doggenheim - the dogs have intricate modern security systems including televisions, laser systems and bulldogs!

[​IMG]

There are 3 dog breeds each with unique line of sights, speeds and behaviors to watch out for. In the Wouffizi museum you can see all 3 breeds: the sophisticated schnauzer, the brutish bulldog and the perky pug.

[​IMG]

There are 60 high-res catified paintings created by our talented artist. Each can be viewed full screen and you can share the high-res version with your friends. The one pictured here is called "The Persistence of Cat Naps" which was inspired by Salvadore Dali's "The Persistence of Memory".

All levels give you points based on your performance. You get points for doing the level quickly, for picking up the gems in the level, and for completing the level without using some of your available skills. They've all been normalized so that 2000 points is the best score that any member of the Loopycube team has gotten before the game was submitted to Apple. As you can see in the image below, the day we submitted I got 2001 points on this particular level. Achievements are earned for getting more than 2000 points.

[​IMG]

That's right - I mentioned it was submitted! Look for this icon on the App Store very, very soon!

(I'll have a gameplay video even sooner I promise!)

10. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    How do you move? Line drawing, swipe or virtual buttons?

11. Kosmatos

Kosmatos Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Awesome question. We prototyped many kinds of input methods for Pickpawcket and loved the simple, natural feel of touch-and-hold to follow (for movement), and tap-to-interact (for using objects).

Path-drawing was tedious for constant course-changes, swiping from the cat itself covered the view too often, and while a couple of types of virtual joystick / buttons worked OK (our favourite was a moving joystick variant), they just didn't jive with enough testers. Loved exploring all this, since good controls are critical. Outcome might have been different with a different-paced game, different object sizes, etc.

Hope you like it!

12. Blackharon

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    None of the above. Kosmatos had a fancy way of saying...

[​IMG]

13. NinjaPaulD

NinjaPaulD New Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Looks great, leader board stuff should be pretty interesting.

14. Blackharon

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    The scoring system is something I'm quite proud of. If you get more than 2000 points on a level you'll KNOW you did better than the people who created the game! That is worthy of an achievement for certain ;)

15. Kik

Kik New Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Yeah ! It looks like it should allow for some pretty intense competition between players trying to beat each other's scores like we experienced with Cut the Rope at the office ! He he :)

16. Blackharon

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    We sent a demo video in to the higher ups at TouchArcade and now I'm sharing it with you!

As you can see (especially when I'm really playing the game around the 2 minute mark) controls are pretty simple. Keep in mind I'm only demoing the easier levels, there are plenty more to challenge your mind and twist your fingers.

17. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    That looks awesome!! :D first wasn't even bothered to reply, but now I'm seeing something I like :)

18. Blackharon

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Good things come to those that wait ;) We wanted to make the video with as near the finished product as possible so people get what they saw.

In other news - August 11 will have Pickpawcket sneaking onto the App Store. I hear he's got something special in store for when he arrives. More on that later.

19. ipod_david

ipod_david Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    never saw this on my radar,... cool game though. looks very polished and well done. excited for the release!

20. Blackharon

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Staying near the top of the TouchArcade forums is a job-and-a-half ;) Glad you finally found us though!