How to manage promo codes for IAP

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Stafaa, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Stafaa

Stafaa Member

Dec 17, 2011
    I'm releasing my game soon and it is going out as a free game to be fully unlocked via IAP ($0.99). It seems as tho promo codes are not available (for review purposes) for IAP.

While I believe the game can be judged by the demo, i'd rather the reviewers have full access to the game. What's the best way to easily get them access?

I contemplated submitting a "Paid" version to Apple with everything unlocked and having the game reviewed based on that build, and release both simultaneously (a lite and full version), but that might make things confusing for potential buyers and the reviewers.

Any other ideas?

2. There's really no "good" option. I'd suggest maybe setting up a Test Flight account for bloggers who literally can't afford the dollar, or don't want to pay it. Otherwise you're going to see tons of people just download the lite app and avoid the full one or users complain that your app isn't actually "free".

Ultimately most of the press will just pay if they want to. Look at TA, they play IAP fest games all the time with the "retail" versions.

3. The way to do it is to submit a separate unlocked version that you will never put up for sale. Once approved you still get the promo codes for it to distribute to the media which can be used to download this hidden full version.

Thus you end up with both the media having the full experience ready and your users will not be confused by the presence of two apps.

4. Stafaa

Stafaa Member

Dec 17, 2011
    So I can submit a fully unlocked app, have it approved and not let it loose on the app store, while providing promo codes for people to download it? This was kind of what I was looking for.

I'm not aware of the etiquette regarding how willing reviewers are going to be as far as paying to review an app. I'm assuming making it difficult for them will just make it difficult for me.