Universal Vectrex - (by Rantmedia)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Nov 28, 2012.

1. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Gigantic, absolutely beyond all doubt instabuy of the year for me! This is one I've been waiting for all along, and I'll be getting everything for it and handling over my money with a smile. Had a Vectrex for a long time; this is sweet. :)

2. Tyska

Tyska Active Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Really looking forward to this :)

3. mcorleonep

mcorleonep Member

Mar 17, 2012
    #23 mcorleonep, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
    I'll download this for sure tonight. However, I'll see if the controls stack up before I buy the cart package. I'm not sold on the iCade as I prefer to use the iPad while laying on the couch. :p

I never owned a Vectrex but had wanted one badly. I used to love to go to McDade's to play Minestorm on the one they had on display there. I thought it was the best 'Asteroids' type game for any home console at the time. However back then, I didn't have $200 to blow nor were my parents willing to dish out the cash after they had already bought the Atari 2600 for us.

4. sleb

sleb Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Ohio
    I still have my Vectrex in my attic. I can't wait for this to come out. Will be playing Star Castle, Sub hunt and armor attack as soon as I can!!

5. drach

drach Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    #25 drach, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
    I was really sad when I sold my Vectrex over 15 years ago, and even sadder now that I've seen it take off in price since that time. When I heard this was coming out, I was quite excited. It'll be another good use for my iCade besides iMame.

Does anyone have a list of the cost of individual games? Or can you just buy individual games? Or is the only way to buy the Megapack?

6. mcorleonep

mcorleonep Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Look at the first post on this thread. $6.99 for all the release cartridges back in 1982.

7. Gamer_Kev

Gamer_Kev Member

Mar 18, 2012
    #27 Gamer_Kev, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
    I'm very much looking forward to this. As soon as I see it on the US app store, I'm grabbing the mega pack with all the games and iCade controls. :) I can't think of a better controller for Vectrex emulation than the iCade, it's layout is almost perfect for it. As a retro gamer and collector, I've been wanting one of these units in my collection for a long time, sadly though when ever I have the money on hand a come across one at a decent price, they're in poor condition. This app should tide me over nicely until such a time I can get my hands on a real unit. Should they happen to see this thread, a big thanks from me to the developers for doing this app and offering iCaded support.

8. DrSpoffo

DrSpoffo Member

Mar 13, 2012
    #28 DrSpoffo, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
    Lack of iPad 1 support sucks donkey butt. We're talking about 30-year-old tech here. My 1998 Pentium 90 PC could emulate Vectrex full-speed, and we're expected to believe an iPad can't manage it 14 years of breakneck-paced technical advancement later? Jeez, learn to optimize.

9. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    It's more likely due to the version of XCode the developers are using. Blame Apple.

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Wow 1am in the morning but I don't care! Finally for this app. Love it! Would prefer the joystick to appear on the iPod touch not just the iPad. But still works a treat

Love playing the games, Scramble is divine as is minestorm

Only tiny issues spotted. On the scramble cartridge it says the package contains pole position and on the berserk cover it says bezerk on the bottom. But minor issues

Amazing emulation/simulation of the games. Very impressed. I bought the mega pack. Does that come with icade or where do I find that to buy?

Anyway congrats to the team. A great app

11. Gamer_Kev

Gamer_Kev Member

Mar 18, 2012
    I only glanced at the requirements, so I didnt realize that the first iPad was eft out until I saw your post. That leaves me out too, which really hurts as I was very excited about this app. I really didn't think that they would have trouble getting this on the first iPad since Atari has their vector games looking and running beautifully on the first iPad.

And I agree, about this being poor optimizing, I remember running Vectrex emulators on a 100mhz Pentium with 256mgs of ram and that was on Windows 98, a horrible OS that was no were near as stream lined as iOs. I'm very disapointed, guess this will have to go on the back burner until I'm on a new iPad.

12. drach

drach Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    I guess my question my question is really if there is a way to buy individual games or if you have to buy the 6.99 mega pack.

13. PCKid

PCKid Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Game Player
    Western Australia
    This is awesomeness on a stick. I had a Vectrex plus all the games back then. Sooo regretted selling it. Had the PC emulator till I switched to Mac. Have only had an hour with it but love it already. Am heading down to Harvey Norman to buy an iCade this morning. They have done an awesome job on this. Hope the rest of the carts become available soon as I loved the Star Trek one and Clean Sweep. Wonder if they will do the limited addition Clean Sweep overlay?

14. SKELETOR68

SKELETOR68 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    DND, Canadian Forces Soldier, Arty
    CFB Wainwright, Alberta Canada
    System Requirements

**NOTE: Compatible with iPad 2 and up, and iPhone 4 and up - WILL NOT RUN ON EARLIER DEVICES. Optimised for iPhone 5 and retina iPad**

This information on the APP should have been releast months ago, not two hours before, plus the site does not mention "Will not work on the iPad 1st Gen".

15. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    So, uh, probably a stupid question, but all the line flashing/flickering I see in the videos, that's normal, then?

16. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Thanks for the info...I was wondering whether it would run on iPad 1.
    Sigh...gotta get me a new new iPad one of these days... :eek:

17. Fafner

Fafner Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Yes :)

18. Gamer_Kev

Gamer_Kev Member

Mar 18, 2012
    I agree, this was why I got upset earlier. This was one of my most anticipated apps this year and finding out a couple hours before release that I couldn't play it was heart breaking. On a side note, sorry everyone about my earlier post, that was the disapointment talking and shouldn't be taken too serious.

19. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    It keeps crashing on startup for me on 4S. Perhaps I will check out a few more new releases before restarting my phone to see if that helps.

20. Fafner

Fafner Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    So Clean Sweep, Polar Rescue, Spinball and Minestorm II will be coming out later?

It really shows that a lot of love went into this emulator!
    All the little extras are a very nice touch!

The only thing I'd change is I'd like a fixed joystick. I looked but didn't see an option for one.

Also a little sad they had to change the name on Star Trek but would definitely take a rename over not having it at all!

Also this gets MAJOR points for being able to turn on the Vectrex hum!

This is a MUST HAVE for any retro fan