Fading Suns - Noble Armada

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Kisguri, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Kisguri

Kisguri Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Male
    Game Design
    Planet Earth, Sol System
    #1 Kisguri, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
    [​IMG]

We at Gamesare Studios are proud to present our first glimpse at our latest project "Fading Suns Noble Armada"! Noble Armada is a new iOS game in development based on and for Holistic design's Fading Sun's universe. Join one of the noble houses of the human race during the long decline into the end of the universe as you battle other house for resources and territory in a dying universe. Noble Armada will focus on fleet battle and shares alot in common with it's table top board game counterpart. We hope that we with the end result provided the same strategic gameplay found in the table top game and translated that to the RTS Hybrid style game.

Gameplay will feature
    • Multiple play Modes (Campaigns, Skirmish and More)
    • Five Houses to choose from
    • Multiple ship types each with strengths and weakness
    • Boarding actions
    • Secondary missions
    • And more to come

We picked up development of this title from GDC 2011 and it has taken a bit longer to get going then we thought and has effected our ability to update our other strategy title Vincere Totus Astrum. The good news is we are looking at April to release this as well as a update to VTA. We hope you guys will like the game as much as we have developing it. Fading Suns has turned out to be a rich and rewarding universe we feel honored to become part of.

We welcome any comments or questions!

Official first Teaser

[​IMG]

2. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Loved VTA, and am looking forward to this strategy/tactical space combat.

Makes me think of a cross between SteamBirds and Gratuitous Space Battles.

3. Kisguri

Oct 27, 2010
    Male
    Game Design
    Planet Earth, Sol System
    I am going to try at least one Screenshot of progress a Day, try something new! to start I will put the first five publicly released images up! We hope these are found to be aesthetically pleasing to your collective visual cortexes...

[​IMG]
    Title Screen

[​IMG]
    Menu Gate

[​IMG]
    Hunting in the Local System

[​IMG]
    Battle Ensues

[​IMG]
    Enemy Hull Collapses

4. Garbagemaster

Garbagemaster Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Large scale fleet battles? I'm in! Can you build/design your own ship types?

5. Kisguri

Oct 27, 2010
    Male
    Game Design
    Planet Earth, Sol System
    Custom Ships

As the game is based on a table top RPG the ship types are finite and preset, however you will be able to customize ship systems as you travese each system you campaign in, getting stronger defenses and weapons systems. The larger the ship the more systems can be swapped and changed out, but the slower the ship is in combat. Here some info on the original board game...

http://www.star-ranger.com/NobleArmada.htm

6. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Is the Campaign composed of completely scripted missions or is there a lot of replayability ala Master of Orion?

7. Garbagemaster

Garbagemaster Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Well, it sounds great:) Count me as an insta-buy.

8. sharpener

sharpener Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Musician
    Kowloon, Hong Kong
    Will this be Universal? When is the release date I can't wait to purchase this one!

9. Kisguri

Oct 27, 2010
    Male
    Game Design
    Planet Earth, Sol System
    Lordgek, indeed the campaign mode will be many secenarios based on the Fading Suns universe, however their will be procedually generated sub missions in a campaign you can do. Also we hope skirmish mode will give you endless play options.

Sharpner, We have not decided, I if I make it universal would not include multiple res modes, so it would auto scale up, like in VTA some people complained about.

Garbagemaster, Thanks!

10. Kisguri

Oct 27, 2010
    Male
    Game Design
    Planet Earth, Sol System
    Li'Halan Ships in clear view...

[​IMG]

11. sharpener

Dec 22, 2011
    Musician
    Kowloon, Hong Kong
    Will there be any IAP like ships etc?

12. Kisguri

Oct 27, 2010
    Male
    Game Design
    Planet Earth, Sol System
    Excellent question, as far as it goes concerning the initial release their won't be any IAP at this point. Based on sales the client (Holistic Games) wants to do content updates, but has not mentioned any specific IAP. We did however have a conversation concerning IAP in general , and that is we both agree IAP should be only used to support the game play and not override it, IE nothing you can get with IAP should not be available to the player through regular play. and those items should not be so hard to get as to you must use IAP to get them

13. Kisguri

Oct 27, 2010
    Male
    Game Design
    Planet Earth, Sol System
    Boarding Actions!

[​IMG]

So today I was able to get the grappling hooks to work correctly! Grappling hooks can be shot out by certain vessels and allow you to reel in a enemy vessel and then send your Marines in to board it and seize the ship.

We are still working out how the boarding will go, currently we leaning to more of a quick display of your force vs their force and display percents as they battle. Do you guys feel this automated battle would be cool enough IE run some stats to see if you boarding party was sufficient enough, OR should we make it a bit more involved?

14. sharpener

Dec 22, 2011
    Musician
    Kowloon, Hong Kong
    Awesome, I don't really understand what your saying there but your game will be definitely a purchase for me without any hesitation! Keep up the good work guys I'll be keeping my eyes on this post!

15. Wilbair

Wilbair Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Looks interesting! Hopefully this game will be coming soon...

16. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    FEEDBACK!

So, I would say that it depends on how involved the rest of the game is. If it's all involved, then make this simple so it doesn't detract from the rest of the game too much. If you want ALL of the game to be hardcore involved, then do it.

Failing that, put in a difficulty option (or "involvement") and have it set to easy to have simple stats/battles/etc and complicated to see everything and have precise numbers, etc.

17. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    :eek:

Upcoming VTS update! And a new game!?!?!? I LOVE YOU DEVS!!!

Liking the plethora of explosions already. What weapons will be featured in the game? From the teasers, there only seem to be one type of attack.

18. emdash

emdash Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2012
    artist / Art Director
    Oakland, CA
    Really nice looking game. The effects and the level of polish look really fantastic!

As for boarding, I agree with Echoseven: it's hard to say how involved this should be without playing the game. I could make a random suggestion, like making boarding like the combat in Paper Mario where you will always board based on your stats vs the enemy's but you could be extra-successful if you do well at an optional, brief mini-game... that could be really fun or totally inappropriate if there are no other arcadey aspects to the game at all.

If I have any crits from the trailer, it's that the photographed characters feel rather cheesy. So much of the in-game art is lovingly rendered, it would be nice to see some similarly well-rendered painted portraits of characters. But that's certainly not a game-breaker. The combat overall looks fun and I'll totally have to check out 'Vincere Totus Astrum.'

19. sharpener

Dec 22, 2011
    Musician
    Kowloon, Hong Kong
    How much will the game cost? And is there any official release date?

20. suncrush

suncrush New Member

May 8, 2013
    Is there any update on this game, or is it vaporware?