OpenAL books?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by NickFalk, Sep 7, 2009.

1. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Anyone have any recommendations for books covering OpenAL? It seems the only book dealing just with OpenAL is out of print so I guess I might have to settle for something that covers OpenAL non-exclusively. Any suggestions?

2. Intruder_qcc

Intruder_qcc Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Senior Analyst-programmer
    St-Hubert (Quebec), Canada
  3. NickFalk

Yeah I've downloaded the programmer's guide from the site. Thanks though!

4. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    OpenAL is a small simple API (even more so on the iPhone) so a book is overkill IMHO - the programming guide and the header pretty much cover it.

Grab Apple's oalTouch example to see how to initialize OpenAL and load and play sounds, then extrapolate from there if you need more functionality.

5. NickFalk

Actually oaltouch was my reason for wanting a book. I downloaded the project earlier today and was greeted with no less than 17 errors when trying to compile. I always prefer to approach new API's through a textbook if possible. English is, and will always remain, a foreign language to me, and personally I find it much easier to learn this kind of stuff by first getting a comprehensive overview printed in black on bleached ex-trees.

Point taken though especially as it seems there aren't any alternatives to be found. ;-)

6. Steve Oldmeadow

May 22, 2009
    That is not normal and I doubt a book about OpenAL will help you rectify those problems. The most difficult aspects of using OpenAL on the iPhone are not generic OpenAL issues, they are things like: how to load different format files, how many sources are supported, how to initialize the context, how to deal with audio session interruption and why the hell doesn't my audio work on the simulator. A generic OpenAL book won't help you with any of that.

7. NickFalk

Frankly, I would expect a book on the subject to cover every single one of those issues save from the bit about the simulator. (And I still believe Apple's example-project not compiling is making things more difficult than necessary). Thanks though, I guess I just have to bite the bullet and learn things the way you and Frank suggest.

8. Steve Oldmeadow

May 22, 2009
    As I said, that is not normal. All the Apple audio examples work fine for me. If you can't get oalTouch to compile it is likely you will have issues with any OpenAL code. What exactly are the compilation errors you are getting?

Some people seem to have issues with including the OpenAL framework. See here for example:

http://cowboyprogramming.com/2009/03/20/iphone-openal-linking-problem/

9. NickFalk

Thanks again Steve. I've just been to Apple's Developer Forums and it seems I'm not alone. The error I've receiving is the following:

Code:
    _alGenBuffers", referenced from:
    -[oalPlayback initOpenAL] in oalPlayback.o
    _alGenSources", referenced from:
    -[oalPlayback initOpenAL] in oalPlayback.o
    etc.

It seems the framework could be linking the wrong place(?) It seems I have som digging to do...

10. Steve Oldmeadow

May 22, 2009
    ^ yep, that is a problem with your OpenAL framework, that link might help.

11. NickFalk

OK, I figured it out:
    I tried to remove the OpenAl.framework from the project and then add it with the "Add existing framework" function in XCode. The framework seemed to be included although I was not allowed to select the "Copy items into destination..."-c checkbox.

As my problems persisted I figured I had to try a different approach. What solved the problem in the end was this: I removed the OpenAL framework from the project, then dragged the framework to the project form the finder, allowing me to select the earlier mentioned checkbox. Now the errors are gone I can start actually trying to learn this stuff...