1 star ratings on our Free Version. Sabotage?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by gammabeam, Jul 3, 2011.

1. gammabeam

gammabeam Well-Known Member

Hello everyone

I have a question I don't know if you guys can answer...

We released the free version of our game last weekend, and we were having a nice number of downloads and some 5 star ratings.

However, 2-3 days ago, our game started to receive 1 stars. The number built up very fast, over the night, and there weren't any reviews to help us understand what was going on. The only 1 star review we had was only saying "Garbage: Don't waste your time", and the user only reviewed our game in the app store. :(

I suspect this is some sabotage thing, because everything happened very fast, and we are seeing positive feedback and nice numbers on our flurry (like ~100% retention of the full version after 2 weeks :D).

Now I got this user on our forum that has just joined the community, has only 2 posts - both on our topic. He's saying neutral/positive things, though.

I don't wanna sound paranoid, and this is our first game so there's nobody we pissed off (yet :eek:), but I've got a bad feeling about this.

What could be happening? Has this ever happened to one of you guys?

Thanks in advance!

2. Jasper Flick

Jasper Flick Member

Jan 17, 2011
    indie kitty
    Amsterdam
    As if "sabotaging" an app with 1-stars would do anything useful for anyone...

Going free begets compulsive downloads begets player-gametype mismatches begets 1 stars. It's a side effect you needn't worry about. Focus on the positives.

3. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Free apps usually get bad ratings. It's usual for cheapo's to be miserly with their stars as well.

4. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    You have to understand that there are alot of idiots. All of people who download free games mostly dont appreciate anything. They moan and complain that the game sucks for no reason. They expect high quality console type games for free and demand top of the line. You find even more on toucharcade the longer your here.

5. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    this came out? I can't find a link or any release announcements..?

6. Vetasoft

Vetasoft Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2010
    We also have some guys that put 1 star with a "game didn't launch".

Obviously, these guys download many other free applications, saturate the main memory, and never make a restart of their devices after several weeks of use.

We call them the bad iPhone users. I think they give a note to their stupidity.

7. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member

Yep they're real. We searched the net by username and sure enough my 1 star reviewer posts "102" exclamation marks on a regular basis. It was tempting to contact the user direct but I didn't as they would freak out and claim harassment or some nonsense.

Just try to be Sherlock Holmes with the vague detail they post, and find if it's possible to pick anything out of their "feedback". But if they post 1 star then they are probably not worth it anyway. I'm sure all of our apps out-score that so called rating.