Glu games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Amenbrother, Dec 2, 2012.

1. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    A couple of their games have gone paid recently, odd.

2. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    One of the first games I tried on my first iPod touch back in 2010/2011 was Gin Bros. grinder and did a bunch of those free premium currency deals and ended with the best armor set. Eventually I got so bored with the game cause I was too over powered. Still..when I was up for mindless fun, I'd used to fire up gun bros for a few rounds.

3. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    I'd take being overpowered over grinding for hours and making no progress any day. Haha

If I could've gotten the best armor in Blood and Glory II without having to sign up for a Discover card or check my credit report....I woulda dunnit.

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Eternity Warriors 2 was the only Glu title that didnt have a paywall for me until almost the very end.

5. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Haha..forgot about this one. Fun as heck for me too.

6. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    #26 DannyTheElite, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
    I've got a 64 gb iPod I'll get them all and tell you which ones are good :)
    Eternity warriors 2 and gears and guts so far

7. Eoghann

May 29, 2012
    New York
    I have to agree the sequel seems a bit more lenient...so far.

But the first one, even on the first onslaught gets brutal towards the last levels. And it still has more onslaughts to go. Like 10 more onslaughts each with 30 levels. Insane. I'm playing both right now.

8. Kotovsky

Kotovsky Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Why bother to play Glu games when you can buy greater variants just for one buck?

9. Eoghann

May 29, 2012
    New York
    It's easier to get it for free, hit a pay wall, curse at the skies and delete the game than paying for it and not like it.

If not for the aggressive IAP pushing, Glu makes some pretty decent games.

10. Glu Games Strike

I'm very serious. They rip people off and try to milk them of their hard-earned cash. It's not fair to people. If the strike is effective enough, they can do something to solve this problem, like making a premium version for each of their freemium games.

They without a doubt have talent in developing games. But until they make a good premium one, I won't download a single thing from them.

11. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Agreed

12. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Just like Gameloft and many other companies. (Unfortunately) F2P is currently the most successful marketing model on the AppStore. You can make a boycott but that won't help as long as there is the horde of sheep which follow from one mainstream freemium title to another.

13. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    I rather get gameloft freemeium then glu. At least with gameloft you either grind or wind up gettingg iap but never a paywall

14. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Gameloft also, to my knowledge, has never removed an app from the store. I think the original Asphalt might be available for DL. I've long boycotted Glu not only for their pricing methods, but the way they have bought some small studios responsible for great games (they bought the small team that made the Spyro the Dragon series, for example), pulled their apps off of the store, and often shuttered the studios completely.

15. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    SPYRO WAS ON THE APPSTORE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Damnation and hellfire to glu!!!!!!!! :mad:

16. Platyrrhine

Platyrrhine Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    The problem with this is that those who would go along with it are those who don't download their games to begin with.

17. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    The creators of spyro had apps and they got pulled.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    They made Glyder 1 and 2, which were two of the most ambitious and polished games of their time. Sadly, not only were they removed from the app store, but they do not work with current OS. To be fair to Glu, the games never sold as well as they should have, so it's not surprising that the studio got shuttered.

Frankly, these kinds of boycotts never work. I think it's okay to choose who you want to do business with, but if your goal is to change their behavior it just won't work. As has already been mentioned, the freemium system is far more profitable -- don't be surprises if it comes to consoles in the near future, considering how much the traditional retail model has declined in the last couple years.

I foolishly spent $6.99 on Contract Killer Zombies 2, thinking that they were trying their hand at premium pricing again. I like the game fine, but having it drop to free within minutes left a nasty taste in my mouth. I can tell you that I won't be paying for a Glur game again.

19. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Brilliant games. Both still runl on my iPhone4 / iOS5. (I did delete their take on How To Train Your Dragon after I finished it though.)

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Problem is if they made a premium priced game then 'some' people will wait first for it to be 99c or be free

If we all bought premium games on the day of release they 'may' keep releasing more. But wayyy too many people wait for price drops. I don't blame companies for going freemium. Blame the users

You hear stats all the time, a game sells 300 copies at 1.99, goes free for 48 hours and has 10000 downloads. Sadly I don't blame companies for going freemium. It's our fault