Games released this summer are significantly less than last year!!!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ImLegend, Sep 6, 2010.

1. ImLegend

ImLegend Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2010
    #1 ImLegend, Sep 6, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
    I notice that games released this summer are much less than last year. Are all the developers going to develop Android app/games?

Big mobile game companies, such as Gameloft, are starting focus on this big meat – the Android market (detail can be found - http://www.gameloft.com/android-games/top/)

Many people also talked about Apple iPhone VS Google Android is very similar to the computer revolution back to 70s, that apple start with Apple IIe and quickly take over by IBM computer + MS Window...

In the coming future, I think toucharcade.com should rethink, whether their site should be Apple focus OR mobile focus ;) pocketgamer is a good example.

2. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    There's no Android conspiracy - though I hear they employ a lot of subversive guerrilla marketers...

Any perceived lack of new games during summer months is due to simple math. The big boys are waiting for Christmas. If you've ever seen an annual sales chart for the App Store you'd know why.

P.S. Gameloft's been around a lot longer than the iPhone, and not surprisingly they develop for other mobile platforms. They're just doing what they do. That page you linked to could just as easily suggest they're focusing on the Palm Pre, and that's just silly.

3. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    androids smd.

4. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

Gameloft have always kind of supported Android (and the Pre for that matter) but only in small quantities. Just look at the number of games they've released on iPhone (71), iPad (24) and 'HD Smartphones' (35). The 'HD Smartphones' category includes both Android and Pre. That means they've released more than double the amount of Android AND Pre games combined for iPhone. Whats more, a quick glance at the actual games for Android/Pre shows that all are ports of iPhone games, the latest being BiA2 on Pre. Data from here.

What's even more interesting though is that other, even bigger players follow the same strategy. Look at EA Mobile, Activision, Rockstar, Square Enix, Capcom, Sega, Lucasarts and Konami. In fact, most of those haven't even released a single Android game. Until that changes, and iPhone is regularly getting ports of Android games, there's no problem.

5. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    the iphone is still flying out the stores by quite a significant margin over android phones.

i like android n all but it doesnt have an appstore quite like apples ;)

6. coolestk!d

coolestk!d Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2009
    School...
    Around
    lol

Games on the android are annoying, its great theres a lot of different of phones but so many means so many apps have different problems, pretty sure Gameloft will stick with app store mostly, and so will all the other pro developers.

Also it's so easy to pirate of the android market I don't see how a big company will come over to it...I mean really easy.

7. newschool

newschool Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Bremen
    Still there is a lot of money to be made. The Android market is growing rapidly and no publisher can ignore it that.

8. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    #8 S.I.D. CrAzY, Sep 6, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
    I don't know if it's just my imagination, but it seems as the recent releases that have come out have had more polish than last years? More content, deeper, better looking overall games?

These type of games take longer to make and as such can't come out at the same rate as smaller, more bite sized games.

This might be why there is less games, though to be honest I didn't really notice any difference this year.

With that said, I'll take Quality > Quantity any day of the week..

9. tomheroes

tomheroes Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    I have to agree with Sid, the quality of games is definitely up this year. I can do with less games if it means better games. And it is nice to see more genres being represented. Instead of just more match three games and doodle games, we are seeing more RPGs, war games and other genres that needed more choices.