Dragonvale: Strategies/Tips (NOT an add me thread)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by darren12, Sep 18, 2011.

1. dean288367

dean288367 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Defiance
    Thanks for the addition combos. So far I have all fails in the Epic cave. 2 earth/chrome, 2 chrome/earth and 1 earth/fog. At least with the earth/chrome combo you get short waits and good coins. Right now I am waiting on my 8hr fail. Will keep trying, guess it would take the excitement out of the the game if we always got them on the first try. :)

2. Alyjens

Alyjens Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Timeless, Girlpower is right-patience is key in this game. And as long as a new dragon is not limited, keep breeding different combos and save your gems to use another way, like speeding up breeding.

Steel has been nothing but fails for me using combos suggested by others, so I tried taking a young Cold out of my hibernation cave and put him to the left of a Metal 10 and...14 hr timer! This may be it :D (in the EBI)
    Then I put in an Earth/Fog in the normal breeding cave & got Dodo-first try! Can hardly believe it!

Keep trying-success will come. Oh, and Yasha is right-a bit of ranting seems to help as well :D

3. Alyjens

Oct 11, 2011
    Pennsylvania, USA
    But, every once in a while, a first try is SWEET! (and makes up for the normal frustration) :D

4. Jazbodooley

Jazbodooley Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Devon
    Hi girlpower!! Feeling guilty now for not posting for a while!! I put DV on the back burner for a while because I found a new and very addictive game - The Tribez! Can't put it down!! (have a look - I DARE YOU!!!!)

I still check on my dragons every day and gift my gems but didn't notice until today that there are 2 new dragons!!! How slack am I??

I've got my first steel, that one was easy, but not having any luck with the dodo, just had my 5th fail :( this is obviously my punishment for leaving my dragons for another game!! I've tried all the combos you posted with no luck, so will just have to try them all again!! I hope this isn't a dragon that's going to disappear before I have a chance to get it. Good luck with your breeding! :D

5. Sofalv Broke

Sofalv Broke Active Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Okay I thought the dodo was a joke too. I was thinking we'd all be eventually called dodo for trying ;) Can someone please tell me how long the dodo is supposed to incubate for?

Anyways, I did get one steel with metal and frostfire & have one fail now for a second in the EBI with iron and frostfire. My poor daughter is still trying for a bloom (wish I could help her on that). Anymore combos other than storm/plant & cold/cactus?

6. Korvaire

Korvaire Active Member

Mar 9, 2012
    Hi again. Funny how reading these boards can change my day! Yesterday got up, read the posts, started breeding steels, got my first one, named her Magnolia, got my 2nd one, named him bleu (play off my French mama), and was feeling truly superior. Had a happy day.

Got up this morning, and blam! Dodo is the flavor of the day. I now only have 33 gems, my hubby will bean me if I go back to the market anytime soon for anything resembling gems, no DoDo, and 2 days of no gold shrine chasing.

Ah well, I have decided Silver is the best anyway. It totally figures that the Dodo would be blue in color. My frostfire is named "Mortgage". I am learning patience by coming here. I feel better. And add me to the metal event disappearing into air.

Back to seeing if I can hard gaze the timers to work faster on my incubating times:rolleyes:

7. Sofalv Broke

Sofalv Broke Active Member

Mar 1, 2012
    You guys are awesome. I was thinking I had lost my mind with metal colleseum Houdini act. Thanks for lessening the insanity. :)

8. Foxtail2010

Foxtail2010 Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Design
    Somewhere else
    #3608 Foxtail2010, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
    Wow! I took off for a couple days, just keeping up on dragon maintenance.. missed reading the forum, my bad, so while catching up, I find there's a new metal dragon, Steel, to breed. Yay! Still no Steely love, after a couple tries with Iron/Frosty. And while checking wiki on egg identification, saw the Dodo! Can't wait to give that a try too.. thanks girlie, for posting some dodo ideas. :)

Oops ..first dodo fail.. Earth/Fog.

9. Foxtail2010

Mar 7, 2010
    Design
    Somewhere else
    Dodo is 16 hours.

10. Foxtail2010

Mar 7, 2010
    Design
    Somewhere else
    Hey, thanks! Just got a 14hr timer... must be Steel, right?

11. Deeneez

Deeneez Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Pacific northwest
    Same thing happened to me yesterday .... I actually watched it happen, after you pointed it out. Right when the timer ends for the event, dragon poofs out and colosseum switches to air.

12. girlpower

girlpower Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    #3612 girlpower, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
    My 14 hr turned out to be a mountain

Boo HOO, my 14 hr breeding just finished using iron/snow....darn, it's a mountain.....
    Yasha, I have now also been bitten by the mountain bug :p

Also another fail with chrome/earth (re: Dodo)
    I have been reading comments on wikia regarding the Dodo being the same as the sandstorm elements....some have got it easily, some are having multiple fails......I am having a sandstorm déjà vue moment now......
    I just don't want to go through another 3 mths of trying for a Dodo :eek:

@Alyjens.....wowee, you got a dodo already too?? Big congrats to you, you gotta be happy with that result alrighty
    Sounds like earth/fog is a great one for you too....out of interest can you remember what levels they were please?

@ Foxy, I really hope your 14 hr is a steel and not a mountain instead

@ Jazbo...haha, pleased you are feeling guilty...my plan worked then...about time you posted....I am really missing the old regulars (not old in age)
    Groan, did you have to DARE me to check out that app....my hubby already claims I pay more attention to my iPad...gonna have to dob you in now haha.

Don't think of Dodo as your punishment, (hmm, that's a thought though) it seems to be easy for some and not so for others.... LOL, this one might be your challenge as you have been pretty darn lucky with your past dragon breeding....whispers are that once its in our market, it will be the same gem price as sandstorm (1000) so gonna have to stick with trying till it happens.

Sounds like its gonna be here to stay as opposed to limited, initially a secret like the sandstorm but then appears in our egg market when BS are ready to do so

@ MaLiesa
    I am wondering if a lvl 10/4 combo would work on this one like it did with your brilliant Sanstorm combo? It's the same elements, so I might give that a go, will have to get another earth first

@ TIMELESS
    any luck with your steel yet, still sending cyber good luck to you, ;)

Regarding the colosseum metal element glitch.....its definitely an issue, according to wikia, some posters have emailed BS about it, so hope it's rectified before the colosseum element appears next time

13. TIMELESS

TIMELESS Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Still trying got a 14 hour timer but most have been mountain . I have metal and frostfire in the ebc cave and a 10 in the other with earth and chrome. I will know in the morning . Think you for asking I hope everyone else is having better luck.

14. Foxtail2010

Mar 7, 2010
    Design
    Somewhere else
    #3614 Foxtail2010, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
    It's a Steel!!
    I hurried it up... and what'd ya know, there's that little steely snowflake egg. Yippee! Put the same pair (Metal 10/Mine12) back for another go... a 10 hr. :( ... not complaining though!

15. Yasha65

Yasha65 Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden
    @girlpower: that 14 h timer is nerve wrecking in this case. :mad:

And, after several muddy fails with earth/fog, going for second Dodo, I finally have a 16 h timervon EBI. :p

This time I used earth/chrome. :)
    (high level dragons, though I'm one of those not believing the level is important since I've never bothered to care when breeding)

16. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yes, level is not important.
    I bred earth/fog and got 16 hr wait this morning. This could be a combination of dragons. There is another pair of earth/fog that I tried breeding with nothing but fail. I think I'll just stick to trying the same pair for a second dodo.

17. Alyjens

Oct 11, 2011
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Hi Girlpower! You betcha that I was happy, but bowled over was more like it! I used Earth 12/Fog 11. Same pair is giving me bvldvrwbnothing but fails since. I got my Steel, too, after about 5 tries. But now only fails trying for a second.
    Wishing you successful breeding of both of them for you.;)

Jazbo- thanks a lot for the new game idea- except it's iPad only, so my little Touch won't help me. It's probably for the best- I'm so addicted to too many games! :eek:

Foxy- congrats on your Steel- those 14 hr waits are killer!

18. nicoga3000

nicoga3000 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Structural Engineer
    Indianapolis, IN
    So I haven't played in a while...I must have started to breed some dragons prior to leaving, because I came back and found that the egg they produced is a Leap Year Dragon? What is this? Its not in the store to compare, so I'm a bit baffled.

19. Foxtail2010

Mar 7, 2010
    Design
    Somewhere else
    Lucky you! What a cool surprise to come back to! That was a limited time dragon - it was around the end of Feb for leap year of course. I missed getting one, so must wait 4 more years! Now that's definitely the longest wait so far, lol. LY is just like a rainbow, goes into the rainbow habitat, earns the same(?) and can be bred with rainbows for more rainbows/LY's. Someone correct me if wrong... I don't have one of my own, ya know, so must look on with envy. :D - -(that's me being green)

20. girlpower

girlpower Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hey Aly, you can download it when you get your iPad for your birthday, yes?
    Cause Jazbo dared me, I have downloaded it, so far quiet good.

Currently have two more dodo fails in both caves, both earth/chromes.
    Gonna stick with those for a bit cause shorter fail times plus I am using them to activate my metal shrine to silver....so sort of a win/fail theme happening.
    Currently on 10th try for Dodo...., still early days so not ranting....yet....may leave second steel for now until I get fed up with Dodo trying (or heaven forbid, I get one) :D

Thanks for the lvls....maybe it doesn't matter, but after trying for that second sandstorm for such a long time using air/mud.....then as soon as MaLiesa shared the 10/4 same combo I got it straight away....plus another 10/10 lvl combo worked when other levels didn't....probably just a coincidence but with my track record I will even try same lvls....paranoia at its best LOL :D

@ Yasha.....wow, on your second one....awesome stuff
    @ Eugekava...congrats to you too for one on the way
    @ Foxy...aww, so glad it was a steel for you....nice :)
    @ TIMELESS....hang in there, fingers crossed for good news tomorrow
    @ nicoga....oh my goodness, what a really awesome egg to come back to...yes you can breed a LY with a rainbow and you will get another rainbow....it's how I got my second one...I only have one LY Dragon and he was renamed after someone very special who we lost recently...I really like the LY one, probably better than rainbow

Good luck to all....