GTA 3 Playable on 3rd Generation Devices

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Duke Floss, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    #1 Duke Floss, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
    I'd like to use this thread as a place where anybody with a 3rd gen device can post their experience with GTA3 on their device along with tips/tricks to keep it running better. One I've used is the Free Up Memory button under Processes in SBSetting and it has helped keep the game running smooth. Normally I have about 30-40mb free memory while I'm running GTA3.

Things I've noticed so far:

- the menu was definitely not designed with 3rd gen in mind, as was the map, thankfully you can zoom in on the map.

- there is lag, but it is not horrible. At least on iOS 4.3.3

- there is also texture pop-in but I am not sure how bad it is in comparison to supported devices.

I've made a video demonstrating how well it runs on my device which is an iPod Touch 3G (32gb) running on jailbroken 4.3.3 iOS. I believe it has been confirmed that it does run on non-jailbroken devices.

2. AppyDayz

AppyDayz New Member

Dec 15, 2011
    I've briefly played it on my 3GS, it has worked very well apart from crashing one time...

3. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Doesn't surprise me I think the proper 3rd gens actually cope a bit better than the retina devices with most tasks there are also a few other games that claimed to be 4th only that also run fine on the 3rd like the x-plane pack.

The 4th gen have a slightly faster cpu but the amount of ram and cpu work they have to use to keep the retina graphics going negates this, it's the reason I see no point upgrading as yet.

4. Duke Floss

Mar 12, 2010
    English Roundabout
    yeah same reason I haven't upgraded yet too :)

Will most likely upgrade next gen though.

5. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    This is great to know since I have a 3rd gen iTouch.

One question though: Has it been confirmed that Rockstar is making a 3rd gen compatible version of GTA 3? Or not?

6. FeNoMeN

FeNoMeN Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    work fine on my 3gs 4.3.1 too :D

7. Duke Floss

Mar 12, 2010
    English Roundabout
    I don't believe that RockStar are going to be supporting 3rd gen devices with GTA3 in the future - or at least I have only seen them express that there would not be 3rd gen support.

Despite that, it is playable - and I'm sure any performance updates in the future would only further benefit the playability for 3rd gen devices.

8. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for this thread.

9. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Okay, I'm gunna go ahead and buy thus on my 3rd gen, and post opinions in a while.

3rd gen, 64GB, iOS 4.3.3, Jailbroken

10. lord-sam

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    #10 lord-sam, Dec 16, 2011
    And my result?

Won't even let me download.

Edit: just saw #AppleID was trending on Twitter. Not just me having trouble then. Gimme a few hours!

11. lord-sam

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    #11 lord-sam, Dec 16, 2011
    Ok third time lucky!

Fast loading time. Start-up to playing in no more than a minute.

This game on 3rd gen is acceptable and very playable. Not lag noticed on my device, very smooth gameplay. Press right and your car goes right. No annoying delay!

Graphics are very jaggedy but don't take away too much from the visuals. Not so much pop-in noticed; draw distance seems very good. However, very distant mountains or tall buildings are just block colours. Car damage is good, with bonnets (hoods) flying off or denting, and nasty scratches appear on the sides. Cars reflect light which is a nice touch.

I couldnt notice a difference between walking and sprinting which was weird.

No crashes experienced. Only the deliberate ones in-game!

My multi-task bar is pretty full up while playing as well. (9 apps including Pirates of Caribbean, Smurfs, PvZ, iPod, settings, twitter, app store, Facebook and videos) yet game was running very fast.

12. Dahak

Dahak Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Library circulation rep
    Beaufort, SC
    It's working fine for me too. iPod touch 3rd gen 64GB running iOS 5.0.1 not jailbroken. Thanks for starting this thread guys!

13. Duke Floss

Mar 12, 2010
    English Roundabout
    thanks for the kind response to this thread everyone, I am glad that I could clear the fog around 3rd gen devices and this game (for the most part) :)

Few things I've noticed since I posted that video.

- in the video my device only had 200mb free space left at the time. I've since freed it up to almost 2gb and I have noticed an improvement from lag.

- if I give my device a reboot before loading up the game - it runs much better.

- it runs better when wi-fi is turned off

As far as gameplay goes - I think this the best system to play GTA3 on (and by that I mean mobile, not 3rd gen devices). Once I got used to the controls I found I had no problem making my way around the world and completing missions. But the biggest surprise is that it has auto-resume - which is awesome. I love being able to quit the game at any point without having to go to my safe house.

I will be posting a full (more produced and detailed) review of GTA3 in the next few weeks or so for my website - www.heavyjack.com - the review will feature more footage taken from my iPod 3rd gen and will show how it stands up during some of the more critical missions, walking around town, as well as getting in large police chases.

14. Duke Floss

Mar 12, 2010
    English Roundabout
    is anybody getting good battery life with this game?

I just played for nearly an hour and my device drained like 12%