Localization, is it worth it ?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Hercule, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Silver Josh

Silver Josh Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    I was recently hired as Localization Coordinator for a big firm and I can tell you it's simply impossible to get a decent translation for that cheap price. We tried to use their service, but we received a bad feedback from our Quality Control Assistants. We ended up spending extra budget and time to fix the translations.
    So far the best firm I had the pleasure to work with is DYS Translations.

2. markofjohnson

markofjohnson Active Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Game Developer
    San Francisco, CA, USA
  3. Laenor

Laenor Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Paris, France
    #23 Laenor, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
    I'm not a Dev, but as a French player, one of the motives that very often comes up in app comments with a medium score on the store is "This game is great, but isn't localized. With proper localization, I'd have given a 5* - please translate the game".

Dunno about other stores, but french one seems to like its games with proper (text) localization.

4. optimizemyapps.com

optimizemyapps.com Active Member

Jan 10, 2014
    App Store Optimization Expert
    Localization is definitely worth it - there are millions of users outside the English speaking countries & its easier to rank in App stores of some countries

The best & cost effective way to test if its worth localizing - Is to just localize the Meta data first (Keywords, Description, App Name) then if you get traffic based on the Meta Data localization to localization the assets of the entire App (like labels, notifications etc)

5. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Well i think its worth say that it depends on your app. If you app is dialogue heavy then there's a good chance it will just cost to much. Image the cost of converting "Device 6" or "black Bar". There are so many nuances in language that the cost would be to high.

6. pdSlooper

pdSlooper Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    USA
    Thanks for sharing that! I'm not a developer, just a gamer with an interest in the effect of language barriers.

7. simpleinteractive

simpleinteractive Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2013
    London
    Is it possible to localize the name of the app, so it has a different name, eg, on the Japanese iTunes store?

8. markofjohnson

markofjohnson Active Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Game Developer
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Yes you can have the name of the app in other languages in the app store. Two things about it though: 1) just going to iTunes and changing the app store country is not enough to see that countries language, because iTunes is also looking at the language setting in the 'locale' of your mac. 2) Games publisher have to choose between two different strategies a) translate the name (better for search and getting downloads from casual users); b) create a worldwide brand by keeping the name in english. b) can be attempted in non-roman alphabets by making e.g. japanese that sounds out the english name. b) is foolish for most I think, creating a brand that the average person would recognize is incredibly difficult.

9. thegraywolf

thegraywolf Active Member

Feb 3, 2014
    I think localization is worth it and important. Although it entirely depends on your marketing strategy. If there's not a need for it now, I suggest focus more on other aspects that will sooner give more value to take localization into consideration. But you should always be ready for it.

10. oldsnake

oldsnake Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Male
    Impiegato
    Bologna italy
    I'm not a Developer,but as italian gamer,The localization it's worth,it's really important,I see on my App store bad review,or I give you 5 star when you add italian language,i'm not The guy that give bad review for this,but localization on games that have a storyline,a story to tell,dialogue,it's really important if they are translate,so,yes,localization in GAMES are really important,when in Apps it's not the same..

11. javamex

javamex Well-Known Member

As a developer and translator...

I'm both an app developer and translator, so I see both "sides of the fence" on this to some extent.

A couple of caveats you need to bear in mind are that localisation in itself won't magically make your app culturally relevant to speakers of the language in question if it wasn't relevant in the first place. So I would definitely advise trying to find out, e.g. using something like Google Trends, what volume of interest there is from speakers of the language in question for the theme of your app.

Then in turn, it's worth trying to assess whether having your app in a given language will give it a competitive edge: what percentage of apps in that genre have localisation compared to the demand for it? When I added German to my word puzzle "LetterMeister", this sparked a little bit of interest from German reviewers because they noted that most games of that genre are in English. (I should say that the attention was largely honorary, though: I haven't actually had tons of sales from German speaking countries.) Different languages could give you access to app stores where there's less competition for the top spots (but conversely with fewer sales).

The other thing I've found for small niche/independent apps is that the thing that really makes localisation work is if, following localisation, you are then able to conduct your other marketing/awareness raising activities actually in the language of localisation: posting on forums etc actually in the target language. So you may need to think a little bit beyond "translating your app" as a one-off exercise. I guess this may not apply so much if your app and marketing budget is big enough for on-line interaction not to be a major part of your strategy.

12. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    I've wrote a Blog Post about Localization (as a guest blogger) on the Amazon Developer Blog. It's a generic article, so for all platforms. I'm explaining many technics and tips for making localization as smoothly as possible. I hope you'll enjoy the read: BLOG POST.

JC