Intro to Role Playing

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by retr0spective, Jul 6, 2014.

1. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    #1 retr0spective, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
    Greetings,

After having successfully received very helpful feedback concerning Tower Defense games, I though I might inquire about the much broader category of Role Playing Games on iOS. I have only played a few RPGs over the years including The Legend of Zelda, Faxanadu, and Dragon Warrior on the NES, Final Fantasy X on Playstation 2, and more recently Cthulhu Saves the World on iOS.

I consider myself something of a beginner at RPGs on iOS due to my limited exposure and would like to obtain some feedback concerning where to start. Again, I am not looking for the prettiest or the best that our mobile platform has to offer, but simply fun and accessible titles suitable for introducing a novice to the genre.

After doing some research on Wikipedia, I was exposed to the following categories: JRPG, WRPG, Action RPG, MMORPG, and Hybrid RPG. Perhaps it may be useful to start with these.

Thank you in advance!

2. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    #2 oscar123967, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
    I would say Battleheart Legacy and Oceanhorn. Both fun and not too advanced.

If you want a more in depth RPG check out KOTOR, especially if you're a Star Wars fan.

I am not a fan of turn based combat, but if you are I hear the Final Fantasty games are great.

3. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #3 JCho133, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    Absolutely Battleheart Legacy and Oceanhorn, like said above. Battleheart is a very unique action RPG with heavy emphasis on skills and equipment. Oceanhorn is Zelda-esque, most closely resembling Wind Waker.

Infinity Blade is also a great place to start on iOS. The series is on sale right now, 1 is $0.99, 2 is $1.99, and 3 is $2.99.

Spiral Episode One is a great sci fi RPG with an awesome combat system. It also has a really interesting story to it, plus it's currently on sale for 99c

Warhammer Quest is a great party based turn based Dungeon crawling RPG

Mage Gauntlet is also recommended, but it lacks widescreen support.

And when you feel you're ready for a challenge, Wayward Souls is an incredible rougelike RPG, from the guys who made Mage Gauntlet.

4. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Never been a fan of KRPG's (Korean) with all the fetching and grinding. They are known for having a ton of side quests if you like that.
    ARPG's (Action) are my favorites and in my opinion Dungeon Hunter 2 is one of the better ones. DH4 is free to try but is a freemium title. Iesebel, Pocket RPG, Solomon's Keep and Orc Vengence are solid title but Bastion is in a class of it's own. This World Ends With you is also a magnificent game. Never tried Bard's Tale but everyone raves about them.
    JRPG's (Japanese) are more like your Final Fantasy, Chaos Rings, Kemco has a ton of them that go on sale regularly, Ash, Zenonia, Eternal Legacy and they tend to be more story driven with pages of dialogue. Of these my favorites are Across Age, FF1 and Sacred Odyssey.

Undead cow is our RPG guru and he maintains a listing here that's a great resource guide.

5. retr0spective

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    Greetings,

For some reason, I have had it stuck in my head that RPG is associated with turn based battles, Zelda notwithstanding. Now that you have brought it to my attention, I realize that am already a fan of ARPGs, and have thoroughly enjoyed Bastion, Mage Gauntlet, and Swordigo (which I usually associate with Metroidvania Platformers). I suppose that clarifying these matters is part of the reason that I created this thread.

Concerning Battleheart Legacy, what sub genre does it belong to? And how does it compare to its predecessor? Should I start there instead?

Thanks.

6. retr0spective

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    Wow, that's an awesome list - thanks for bringing it to my attention!

7. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    It's quite a unique beast, really.

I guess it would mostly fit as a fantasy action RPG, similar to a game like Torchlight or Diablo. There's towns to visit, equipment to buy, skills to earn, dungeons to crawl, and even branching dialogue and story choices.

It's combat functions similar to that of an MMO:
    Tap to lock on to an enemy, which causes you you to constantly auto attack, and then activate skills while doing so.

It's interesting because, unlike in many games where you pick a class and are forced down certain skill and equipment paths, you can actually learn skills from all the classes you would like to make this really unique uber-character. I have a Rogue/Ranger/Ninja/Necromancer.

Compared to the original, they are quite different. While BH:L is a sprawling open world action adventure, Battleheart is a mission based raiding party style RPG game, that takes place in single frame arenas. You control 4 party members of your choosing, each with their own specific/restrictive class, and battle enemies. You draw lines from your party members to enemies to get them autoattacking, then activate their skills as necessary. There's also a Cleric and a Bard, which heal and boost your own units. There's lost of equipment to give your units, and they each have their own semi-branching skill trees.

Both are very highly recommended, and BH:L is definitely more of what you're looking for, but I feel like BH:L will be better enjoyed if you start with the original Battleheart.