Video blogging the creation of an iPhone game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by OTrain13, Jul 20, 2009.

1. OTrain13

OTrain13 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Co-founder, Milkbag Games
    Canada
    #1 OTrain13, Jul 20, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
    Hi everyone:

Edit:
    I'm posting all episodes in this thread. Subscribe to this thread if you want notification of new episodes:
    Episode 1: An Introduction
    Episode 2: Prototyping
    Episode 3: Replacing the physics system + first hint about game
    Episode 4: Box2D integration + changes based on feedback
    Episode 5: First gameplay footage!
    Episode 6: Showing texture atlases and bitmap fonts
    Episode 7: The new Spawn Manager and all new art direction
    Teaser Trailer: Announcing: Monkeys in Space: Escape to Banana Base Alpha
    Episode 8: A recent move, the teaser trailer, play testing
    Episode 9: Featuring: First Gameplay Footage!

I posted a poll in another forum asking if people might be interested in seeing video blog posts chronicling the development of an iPhone game. The response was positive, so I'm posting the first in a series of video blogs that will document the process of creating an iPhone game.

At this stage, I have just starting working on a prototype for a new game concept I'm playing around with. This first video talks a little bit more about that. With future videos I hope to talk more about specifics and show work in progress along the way.

If you have suggestions for what you'd like to see me talk about, please let me know and I'll see what I can do. Let me know what parts of game creation you've always wondered about and I'll do my best to answer your questions. I hope you enjoy the videos!

Owen

2. fenrir911

fenrir911 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2009
    enjoyed it xD. im not used to watching video blogs, but this looks interesting, gunna have to watch all of these now.

3. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    I enjoyed it too. I am excited to see what comes out of it... I also thought it was strange that you said "i look forward to seeing you again" considering it should actually be the other way around.

4. OTrain13

Jan 28, 2009
    Canada
    @fenrir911 - Thanks, I'm glad you found it interesting. I hope to have more hands-on type stuff in future posts.

Haha, I hadn't thought of that. It felt natural when I said it, but now it sounds strange when I watch it. Oh well! Maybe I'll have to come up with a different sign-off next time. :D

Owen

5. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    A Vlog about how iPhones are made, huh? Sounds like someone's bringing the spirit of Fred Rogers about the device. I'd very much like to see it.

6. Twazzock

Twazzock Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    That was great, keep it up. Game sounds interesting too :p

7. OTrain13

Jan 28, 2009
    Canada
    #7 OTrain13, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
    Episode 2

Episode 2 is now available for your viewing pleasure! Today I talk a little bit about how the prototyping is going and next steps.

Owen

8. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    Very curious about what this game is all about..

Anyways, try not to put every sweat into a iPhone game, usually if somethings too complicated, people won't play it.

P.S: 3D, pickup and play, and platformer games are usually the ones on the top

9. OTrain13

Jan 28, 2009
    Canada
    I've posted Episode 3 in new thread here:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=388391

Would people prefer that I post new episodes in new threads each time, or would they rather I keep everything in one thread? One thread makes it easier to subscribe to, but then you have to read to the end of the thread every time. Anyone have a preference?

Owen

10. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    One thread is better.. not sure why anyone would want to watch it in new thread each time.

11. OTrain13

Jan 28, 2009
    Canada
    #11 OTrain13, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
    Episode 3

Ok, I will post all future episodes in this thread. That way if you want to get updates whenever I post a video, just subscribe to this thread. Or if you have a YouTube account, you can subscribe to my feed on YouTube!

For consistency, I'm reposting Episode 3 here. Sorry for the double-post. :eek:

Episode 3 of the Streaming Colour Studios Video Blog is now online for your viewing pleasure. Today I talk a little bit about the newest level I’ve been working on, replacing the physics system, and give the first hint about what the game will be!

I'd also love to know what you guys think of the series so far. What parts of game development have you always wanted to know about? What do you want me to talk about? Feedback is welcome and encouraged. I'm doing this to share the game development experience with you guys, so please let me know what you'd like to know more about.

Owen

12. OTrain13

Jan 28, 2009
    Canada
    Episode 4

Episode 4 of the Streaming Colour Video Blog is now live!

Today I discuss the ongoing integration of the new physics engine, and the control scheme changes that are coming based on early feedback. It also has fancy new theme music! :) Check it out:

Owen

13. OTrain13

Jan 28, 2009
    Canada
    Episode 5

Hi everyone:

Episode 5 of the Streaming Colour Video Blog is now live for your viewing enjoyment. This is an exciting episode because it features (wait for it...) in-game footage! W00t! :)

Disclaimer: The in-game footage is in a very early state. The art is not final, nor is the game behavior. The final game may look and behave quite differently than what you see here.

Also, although the video makes it look kind of like Flight Control with spaceships, I can assure you that this is not the case. :D The gameplay is quite different, but you'll have to wait for future episodes to see that. ;)

As usual, if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions for what you'd like to see in future episodes, don't hesitate to post or PM me!

Owen

14. OTrain13

Jan 28, 2009
    Canada
    Episode 6

Sorry for the two week delay between episodes. It's been busy here at Streaming Colour. This week's episode talks about the texture atlas system and bitmap font system I put into the game. I also show examples so you can see how the textures look before they end up on the screen.

It's a little more technical in nature, but if you're interested in how things work under the hood, definitely take a look.

I hope you enjoy it!
    Owen

15. OTrain13

Jan 28, 2009
    Canada
    Episode 7

It's that time again: time to take part in the exciting and dangerous life of an iPhone game in progress! What will happen to our game this week? Did the new Spawn Manager make the game totally amazing? Is a complete overhaul of the art and design in order? Watch this week's episode to find out!

As usual, if you're curious about a specific part of the game development process, let me know. I'd be happy to talk about any requests people have.

Owen

16. OTrain13

Jan 28, 2009
    Canada
    Teaser Trailer

Hi Everyone:

No video blog this week, but I've got something even better: a teaser trailer for the new game! Yes, I've finally announced the title:

Monkeys in Space: Escape to Banana Base Alpha

You can watch the trailer right here, to click through to YouTube to watch it in HD:

I'm also looking for playtesters for the game. If you're interested, please check out the full post in this thread:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=514825

See you in the skies!
    Owen

17. sic

sic Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Philippines
    nice video! :) cant wait to see the gameplay! i wanna test it but i have no idea on what i will actually do. :) never tested a game before.

18. OTrain13

Jan 28, 2009
    Canada
    At this point the game is in pretty early stages, so I'm not looking for people to make it crash or find bugs. I'm looking for people who can play the game and tell me what they like and what they don't like about it. I'd also like people who offer suggestions for how to improve things. I want to make the best game possible, and having people tell me honestly what they think of it is crucial to making a terrific game.

Basically, the process would be:
    1) I send out a version of the game to the play testers
    2) You play the game a bunch
    3) You tell me what you like and what you think needs to be improved/changed/removed
    4) I make changes/improvements based on the feedback from everyone
    5) Repeat :)

So, if you love playing games and like talking with your friends about what you like and don't like about the games you play, that's perfect! :D

If you have further questions, please let me know.
    Owen

19. OTrain13

Jan 28, 2009
    Canada
    Episode 8

It's been about 3 weeks since the last video blog post, so I apologise for the delay. I've been in the middle of moving cities, so things have been kind of crazy. Check out what's new in Episode 8 of the Streaming Colour Vlog!

Owen

20. OTrain13

Jan 28, 2009
    Canada
    Episode 9

Sorry it's been 3 long weeks since Episode 8, but I've been hard at work coding and drawing. However, as promised, Episode 9 features gameplay footage! If you've been curious about what the game looks like or how it plays, now's your chance to see it in action! Have a look:

Owen