China: anyone have success with premium apps there?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by DungeonPlunder, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Hello,

Just wondering if anyone had any luck selling premium apps with no iap in China?

My $1.99 game released 3 days ago has a decent following there with 519 installs. Only problem is that only 4 of them were legit paid versions ;) So that's what, 99.3% piracy rate? Even had 29 fake 10$ tips! Guess they want to hack virtual high fives too :rolleyes:

I have next to no piracy problem anywhere else in the world, the numbers match nearly 100% surprisingly. It's just there.

2. Philipp_S

Philipp_S Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    game developer
    Our installs in China are practically all pirated copies as well. However, we haven't localized the game or App Store description to Chinese, and I could see that making a difference (nobody buying an app with an English description while people just download whatever makes it into the new cracked releases).

What $10 tips are you referring to? Do you have a tip jar iAP? Any idea how well that works, yet?

3. Samuramu

Samuramu Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Game designer and coder
    China has a high download rate and low conversion rate for my 'free + unlock full' games for kids. Every now end then there would be an actual purchase from china - but it never picked up yet.

I sometimes wonder about the potential in properly localising the keywords, descriptions, I guess it's worth a try.

4. Still early but I do get a few each day which I appreciate. Keep in mind though that the game is very iap friendly with no currency/gems purchases or gold/exp doublers and that kind of things. Might not work so well if you already have those options.

I'm sure there's some devs who've done it reading. Would be nice to chime in.

5. Had a PM asking me how to track unpaid installs: I use Flurry, which I also use to track player metrics like how the various game classes perform etc but there might be better other options.