Lack of Creativity This Year?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by retr0spective, May 12, 2012.

1. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    Is it just me or does there seem to be a significant lack of creativity in the games this year compared to years past which have seen such masterpieces as Helsing's Fire, Space Invaders Infinity Gene, Eliss, Edge, and Dungeon Raid. In contrast, most recent games seem to be following the tried and true designs in formulaic ways - shooters, runners, platformers, sligshots, etc. What are some of the most recent exceedingly creative and ingenuous games that you have encountered this year?

2. LawLessLove

LawLessLove Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    It's free-to-play's fault.

3. aghartastudio

aghartastudio Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    wait until our next game ^^

4. MTKates

MTKates Active Member

May 9, 2012
    iOS Developer
    Yukon, Ok
    I've got one in the works that I think is pretty creative. It will be a while before it is done though. I'm a one man development team so things take a while.

The card game I released this year, although nothing creative in the programming of it, it is a whole new type of solitaire game that I created myself, so that part of it was creative.

5. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    Time Ducks, Scribblenauts Remix (though technically the original DS game came out a long time ago), and AAAAaaaaaAAAAAaaaaAAAAA!!!! F=ma (I just guessed the number of "a"s, and also the original came out a long time ago too). Also every Indy game ever made ever. Done.

6. retr0spective

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    All excellent and creative games chimpman. In my original post I certainly forgot to mention Sword & Sworcery and World of Goo, some of the best to have appeared on the Platform. My predicament is simply that it seems following last December the featured releases each week have gotten less and less interesting, almost as though many developers have started to run out of creative energy, to the extent that I have started looking further back through old lists to purchase new games for myself. With very few exceptions it seems like there is not much on the horizon either. Of course, I would like more than anything to be proved wrong as I would love to see some good recommendations of new and forthcoming games that are striking in their creativity, ingenuity, and/or narrative.

7. retr0spective

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    Now, if Steph Therion would finally release Faraway, I think that would just about make my year ... http://www.playfaraway.com/

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Didn't waking mars come out this year? Think it's a great game. I'm still buying 2 or 3 games a week. So far been a great 5 months of ios gaming this year

9. retr0spective

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    I haven't played Waking Mars yet - would you say that it is a fairly unique affair or just a different take on the cave flyer/exploration formula?

10. swishinj

swishinj Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    CEO at Apple Inc.
    It's still early in the year *checks phone* it's May already :O I think you might be right. Summer should have some great games. And I agree that free-to-play is ruining some great games, but is also making some games more accessible and cheap that use the IAP non obtrusively.

11. PrayForDeath

PrayForDeath Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Let's see, there's Waking Mars, Smash Cops, The Hacker, Amoebattle, Crow, Polymer, On the Wind, and Incoboto just off the top of my head.

I'd say it's looking like a good year in terms of creativity.

12. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    Pizza vs. Skeletons (came out in February). If that's not 'creative' enough for you I don't know what could ever be.

13. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe
    It depends on how you count (totally "new" idea or just a great game which is released this year). There already a few good games listed here. Some amazing games launched for ios this year e.g. Ghost Phantom (I know, it's a port but honestly, I never heard of it before) or crow or waking mars etc.