Who wants a proper Space Trader like Elite or Frontier ?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by bigred447uk, May 19, 2009.

1. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    I really hope someone makes a proper deep space trader like Elite or Frontier : First Encounters. It would be amazing and would gather a cult following that would play the game for literally years to come !

If anyone agrees then post your ideas for the game here. Maybe some dev will read the thread and make our wish come true !

My ideas for an up-date on this genre : - make it an MMO , also make it with real Newtonian physics like Frontier so it's a proper challenge flying your ship. I'm sick of half-assed casual games and want something I can get my teeth into !:D

Attached Files:

2. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

no thanks for me. space trader moon madness is the shiznit, don't need an others.

3. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Moon madness is pretty cool but the 3d aspect is unnecessary cuz it wastes battery on such a simple concept that doesn't need 3d

4. theblackw0lf

theblackw0lf Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    #4 theblackw0lf, May 19, 2009
    Last edited: May 19, 2009
    The best space trading game in terms of depth is Dark Nova. Limited graphics, but the space trading aspect is well implemented.It's a perfect port of the Palm game Space Trader, and even has the original developer working with the Dark Nova team. The economy is dynamic, and will fluctuate based on various events, which you can find out by purchasing an newspaper. Plenty of ships to buy, though somewhat limited in the number of weapons and ship accessories you can get. It's free, so give it a whirl.

Space Trader: Moon Madness is good, but extremely limited given there's only 3 locations (Dark Nova has over a 150 systems).

I have heard though that one of the prominent iphone developers are making an Escape-Velocity type game. Also, the Dark Nova crew has ambitious plans, and if they can get the funding we might see the kind of game you're looking for.

5. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

tower defense games don't need to be 3d, however some of the coolest ones are. space trader suprisingly is very light on the battery, it's not very battery intensive. the 3d is necessary to find the left behind goods. if it wasn't 3d I would dislike it. I like being able to explore and SEE the aliens in 3d.

6. bigred447uk

Apr 16, 2009
    #6 bigred447uk, May 19, 2009
    Last edited: May 19, 2009
    This game is nothing like Elite or Frontier. It's massively limited in concept compared to what i'm thinking of ! Check it on wikipedia. It makes that game look like being trapped in a one-dimensional rabbit hutch !:D

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Encounters

7. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    It sucks my battery. And just for reference how long standard does an ipod touch 2nd gen battery last while playing apps? Mine lasts maybe 3 or 4 hours occasionally just 2 depending on the games. wondering if anybody else's lasts longer or is that the standard.

8. bigred447uk

Apr 16, 2009
    Thanks. Not heard of Dark Nova. I'll check it..... Does anyone out there want a proper Space Trader or is this thread gonna meander off into a discussion on battery life ! Surely the idea of an open-neded sandbox type space trader with unlimited options of how to define your career appeals to someone ?

9. fantomik

fantomik Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Poland
    It would be great to get something like the first Frontier for iPhone (cause FFE is probably too complex). Heck, I would pay 10$ easily for it.

PS. Dark Nova right now is FREE (introductory price).

Cheers,
    f.

10. Crypton

Crypton Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Germany
    I just need Elite. I liked the radar and the rotation, trying to get into a port without auto-pilot :) Good ol' times!!!
    Frontier wasn't bad either but the times it took to fly from jump-point to a station or the planets was nuts...
    Still have my original copies and packages :)

11. Crypton

Crypton Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Germany
    Me too! I spend so many € on Elite copies, those bucks don't matter anymore :D

12. bigred447uk

Apr 16, 2009
    Ha ! Me too. I'm still chasing the perfect space trader. Notably if your iPhone is jailbroken you can get the NES (famicom) version of Elite to run on the NES emulator. Mind you the controls are very fiddly !

13. Kumulus

Kumulus Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    thats great for you, but obviously you have no idea what you are talking about.

two completely different pairs of shoes. and games like elite 2 - frontier should be portable, if you consider that this game with its huge content for the PC was just 1-2 mb in size.

only problem will be the engine

14. bigred447uk

Apr 16, 2009
    I still have my original Elite tape cassette and packaging including the novella 'The Dark Wheel'. Inside the box I have lists of different market prices on different planets in my 12 year old handwriting ! Oh happy days they were ! My mum used to call me for our evening meal and i'd have to frantically match rotation with the space station and dock in order to save my game to tape cassette ! :D

15. graphite

graphite New Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Mostly harmless...

Elite was the business - I'd definitely buy Elite or an Elite-u-like game.

R

16. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Galaxy on Fire is close, there's plenty of systems to explore after completing the story mode. However, trading is shallow, and its jumpgate based rather than free exploration.

If they make it, Galaxy on Fire 2 sounds like what you're looking for!

I do hope something like Elite or X3 maybe even Eve Online comes out for the iPhone. We will just have to wait and see.

Otherwise, yes, as someone else mentioned there's always the NES emulator for Elite!

17. lowtek

lowtek Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    I for one would love an Elite or X3 game for the iPhone.

18. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
  19. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Count me in. I missed all the great classics of the genre and only played Freelancer, but I really liked it and wished for a more robust trading and mission aspects in it.

BTW, for something different, Space Rangers II also would be great on the Touch. It has turn-based combat, but there are tons of different missions and an involved trading feature in it.

20. Alex_RKLS

Alex_RKLS Member

Apr 7, 2009
    I think you're asking a bit much from the poor phone. :)