Krypton Egg By DotEmu (99c)

Discussion in 'Mac App Store Games' started by goiMot, Jan 23, 2011.

1. goiMot

goiMot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Physician
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

US $.99

Description

Krypton Egg is an excellent breakout game back from the 90’s and now available on Mac.

Officially licensed by DotEmu, Krypton Egg was described as the best Breakout game in the world by the French magazine PC Loisirs when it first came out in 1989.

Krypton Egg is not like another breakout where you just need to bounce the ball to destroy bricks. After a few levels you will have to manage dozen of balls at a time by taking advantages of the creative power-ups all over the screen.

During bonus levels, Krypton Egg even turns into a Shooting style mode providing you the challenge to defeat horde of enemies and bosses. Game Over? You can still restart from any level you have cleared. But will you be able to hit the highscores?

With 60 levels +12 bonus levels and 30 power-ups Krypton Egg will definitely keep you hooked from the beginning to the end. Grab it now for your Mac computer !

Features include:

• 60 levels levels for hours of gameplay
    • Unlock 12 special levels and defeat boss
    • 30 power-ups including bonuses, penalties, special effects
    • Continue your game from any level completed
    • Addictive retro style music

You can go up to the 72nd level proposed by this game, but before that, you will have to prepare yourself in order to become the perfect shooter.
    Above all, do not be scared if dozens of balls are coming up at the same time, up to then everything seems fine. Calm and self-control are the necessary qualities to play this game.

Thanks to its wonderful colors, special effects, but also its dynamic musics, Krypton Egg will seduce all the breakout lovers but also delight all gamers which are looking for the ultimate breakout adventure.

Link:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/krypton-egg/id406959543?mt=12#

2. hesty

hesty Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Los Angeles
    This one looks like it could be pretty fun.

DotEmu is clearly on a roll porting a lot of cool, relatively obscure retro stuff. Bring it on, I say.

3. LTronic

LTronic Member

Feb 7, 2009
    NZ
    Yah

Great stuff !

Keep them coming !

4. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    99 cents for a good breakout variant? I'll buy that. Will check it out later tonight.

5. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I went ahead and bought it. The 99 cents is an intro price. Not sure of what the final price will be. Will post impressions when I get a chance, but I might not actually get to the game tonight.

6. Kehaan

Kehaan Member

Aug 24, 2010
    I just wrote to DotEmu about their Gobliiins game. And it will be out for Mac App Store next month :D Good to see all the new games they come out with.

7. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I tried it last night... and I think it was a waste of 99 cents, but I'll live. First, the mouse sometimes doesn't respond correctly. In particular, when starting a new ball I find that I can't move all the way to the right. It jumps back to the left a bit. If I move the mouse back and forth a bunch of times it clears up. I'm 100% positive there's nothing wrong with my mouse and it never, ever does this in anything else, including other games, even ones running in VMWare Fusion. I'm sure that can be fixed, though. The main problem with this game is that it's a pretty lousy arkanoid variant. The ball only changes direction (goes back the way it came) if you hit the ball with the very corner of the paddle. Worse, the ball moves in only limited angles, and you're left on many levels with hitting the ball over and over and over again with the hope that eventually you'll hit that damned one last remaining brick. It doesn't do like many newer games and provide some means to get that last brick more easily. Lastly the level designs, just in the first 3 or 4 levels, are pretty terrible. There's one level that has only a one brick sized opening on the left and right and you have to hit the ball in there and then just hope to get all the bricks. You sit there watching the ball bounce around on it's own forever.

So, yeah, this game is pretty awful. Don't waste even your 99 cents on it.

8. hesty

hesty Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, I've had the control issues too. Arrow-keys work also, but the controls still aren't solid enough for a brick-breaker.

The limited angles when the ball deflects you mentioned also are a rub.

Was hoping cool level design in the later levels could somehow begin to make up for the shortcomings, but with the buggy controls it's far too arduous to try.