Chaos Rings - Does this game open the door for more premium titles on this platform?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by txag2005, Apr 20, 2010.

1. txag2005

txag2005 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    So now that that Chaos Ring is out and is getting the glowing reviews most of us expected, what does everyone think this game does for the future of iDevice gaming?

For starters, this is the first true exclusive/premium iPhone game. Yes we have GTA:CTW among other DS/PSP ports, Gameloft titles and other games that people consider to be the more premium end of iPhone gaming, but this game seems to be one step above the rest. From what I've read and seen, it does seem like this game is one of the very few on this platform that would likely be on the DS/PSP and considering a quality title.

In addition, this is the first time, at least here in the US, that a game has broken that $10 barrier on the iPhone. Assuming Chaos Rings is successful, I think this opens the door for more premium pricing, at least for premium quality titles on the app store.

So the question is, what does everyone think about the future of iDevice gaming and how Chaos Rings might change that? Does this game open the doors for more big publishers/developers to put higher quality games on this platform? Will sales success for this game open the door for higher pricing?

I think that Chaos Rings is a good step, but it's going to have be a smashing success for other developers to take this platform seriously. If higher pricing can hold and this game sells very well, then maybe in the next year, we'll see other developers put games of the same quality on this device, otherwise, I think things will continue as they are currently.

What does everyone else think?

2. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I think this is a great title for Jrpg/Square-Enix fans but I don't think the price will hold up in the iphone app market. 12.99 isn't the market standard for iphone games and I'm guessing most idevice users are either young kids or casual gamers who like to impulse buy cheap apps. It's easy to spend a few bucks on an app and not worry about wasting too much money on but it's hard tell if an app is going to be worth 12.99 based on the reviews on the app store alone. I'm not sure how many hardcore iphone gamers out there who are willing to buy apps (meaning non-pirates) at these prices. I remember the creator of Orions saying that people are more willing to buy quick and casual iphone games for cheaper prices vs something more ambitious and cost more money (or something alone the lines of that)

3. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    This isn't the first premium game for the iPhone. There was also GTA:CW.

4. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    He mentions that game, you should bother reading the original post.

5. Chrono Gear

Chrono Gear Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Peoria, Arizona
    Wasn't AC II around $12(at least when it launched)? not that I wan't to quibble over your talking points :p

I highly doubt this will have any impact on premium gaming for the platform. Let's face facts, there's very few, if any, consumers willing to invest more than a dollar or two on a game when there are literally thousands of competitors at that price point-some games are horrendously underpriced because of the competition. The game will surely see mild success because of die-hard Square fans, but beyond that I doubt many will take the plunge. Especially considering there is (as of yet) a lite version to try it out and make sure it's worth the cash.

As a side note, I read someone cleared the game in just 5 hours. That's not nearly enough gaming for the price. I can only hope that it is a truly epic experience considering price to game time ratio.

6. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Err... he usually tries to avoid reading before giving an opinion or statement... ;)

7. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Lol :D

btw, my answer to the thread title is: I hope so!!

I really hope Chaos Rings can prove to big-name devs that there's life beyond $0.99 and there's life beyond $9.99. That way they won't hesitate investing a bit more time and effort into putting together a masterpiece instead of pulling something out of their arse, sticking a franchise name over it and selling it with premium proce (see MGS Touch & Silent Hill).

8. txag2005

Jan 24, 2010
    A few responses:

1.) ACII apparently was released and then taken off the story within a few hours. I think it was $11.99 or $12.99. The official release was $9.99 and it dropped to below that within days. Based on that, since the official release was $10, I don't count it. Apparently Football Manager 2010 is over $10 in other regions, but it's $9.99 in the US. Either way, Chaos Rings looks to be the first to break $10 worldwide and most likely stick around there.

2.) Regarding the the price holding, I don't know if there is another developer that sticks to prices like SE does. Outside of game sales for the release of FF 1/2 and now Chaos Rings, it seems like SE sticks to their prices. If there is a company that is going to stick to the $12.99 price point for a while, I think Chaos Rings will.

3.) Regarding how successful this will be, I've seen this game mentioned on a variety of non iDevice gaming sites (Kotaku, Destructoid, Gamespot etc..). A few games like GTA:CTW and PvZ got some buzz outside of just the iDevice sites, but nothing like what Chaos Rings is getting. I think that could help bring in some additional sales. THere are tons of people with iPod Touches or iPhones who may not be regular gamers on that device, but may have an interest in this game after seeing it mentioned on Destructoid or other sites.

9. txag2005

Jan 24, 2010
    Or the countless Gameloft cheap knock-offs.

10. Diggins

Diggins Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2009
    your attic
    Omg is there going to be a Thread saying this EVERY time a game by a big named developer comes out? People have said this about so many gameloft games and chaos rings is no different from them just because it's priced higher. "oooh something is over $10 that means it's premium and is going to change idevice gaming" no. Developers know what the idevices are capable of and that's why we get big games like this. They already know that they can make games at this level and this being released does not change any big name developers mindset.

Also this will probably only be on the top 50 a week before it falls. And that's being generous. The app store is slowly sliding into a .99 wasteland of doodle jump clones, drawing apps, and impossible quizes.

11. Noman

Noman Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Um, Chaos rings is about 5 times better than any gameloft game I've ever played.

Unfortunately I do have to agree with you that iphone gaming is sliding into 99c territory. If there is any one game that can save it it's chaos rings. But it might still be too late.

12. Derochea72

Derochea72 Well-Known Member

May 14, 2009
    Floor installer
    Ma
    There will always be more junk games than good ones on the app store and the super good games are going to always be far In between. Splinter cell, zombie infection and diliverace are all going to be great games(they better be)
    I don't think it's to late, we just need everyone to get rid of their older devices so the devs will start using the new hardware in the 3gs and the new 4g this summer.

13. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    If it sells really well, maybe. I'm hoping.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    The thing to keep in mind is that with an 80 Million+ installed based, there's no such thing as (singular) iPhone gaming. There are many different kinds of gamers on the platform, from casual free/.99 gamers, to older gamers looking for a more convenient platform, to hardcore gamers looking for a new experience. It's not a matter of gaming "sliding" 99c territory -- that tier has always been there. The question has always been whether there's a large enough "less-casual" gaming community to support more involved and sophisticated games from major developers. Seeing the success of COD:Zombies, GTA:CW, Street Fighter 4, THPS, and now Chaos Rings, there's clearly an audience for $9.99+ games. There's also a significant audience for 2nd tier games -- the kinds of games you would expect to see on XBox live or PSN Indies -- including many Gameloft titles, some of the more sophisticated "casual" games like Plants vs Zombies, as well as indie/small publisher games like Space Miner, Zenonia 2, etc. Some of these games had to hit .99 to find their audience, but I think that's more of an issue of (poor) marketing or bad luck than a necessary outcome in the App Store.

Handheld gaming has been undergoing a pretty amazing transformation of the last couple of years, much of it lead (or prodded) by the iPhone/iPod Touch, but affecting the industry as a whole. Even without Chaos Rings, iDevice gamers have plenty to be excited about.

15. Beto_Machado

Beto_Machado Well-Known Member

You have no point. None of those previous games were new properties, exclusive to the iDevices. As has been said in previous thread, Chaos Rings is the first PSP-level game that is only for the iPhone. There's no comparison to any other title on the App Store.

16. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I don't consider Chaos Rings to be a particularly substantial/revolutionary game, especially when you look at all of the existing big titles such as GTA: CTW, COD: Zombies, SF:4, Gameloft's titles etc.
    And I think part of it also comes down to preference. Personally I hate Asian RPG games. I really don't understand the hype and pleasure that surrounds them, however I understand that I am probably in the minority and many people like them.

Even if there was Final Fantasy XIII on the iPhone, with as just as good playing experience as playing it on PS3/360, and even if was priced at $0.99, then I still wouldn't buy it.

17. Rivozzz

Rivozzz Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    i dont think it will ever change...it will always be in range from 9.99 to 0.99
    EVEN IPAD failed to raise the price bar....and all its apps is sliding back to the 9.99 -0.99 interval..

whether it is right or wrong... this makes me happy!

18. Noman

Noman Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Are you ****ing serious?

Anyway, There are so many iphone/itouch owners out there but there are also a lot of them that would be willing to get into gaming on it, but are unaware that there are really good psp/ds level games on the platform. We need to reach them as well.

19. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Don't forget Square / Enix announcement about a full-fledged Final Fantasy title exclusive for the iDevices.

20. Serpentdivine

Serpentdivine Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Premium Pricing

The answer is simple. If people buy Chaos Rings then there will be similar attempts.

Personally I have no interest in Japanese styled rpgs. But even if the game fell into a genre I enjoyed I still wouldn't spring for $13.

The joy of ipod gaming (and why I haven't touched my PSP since I got one) is the cheaper app pricing.

I also believe the form factor of the ipod does not invite 'premium' content. A small game on a small device shouldn't cost what I pay for a PS3 game.