Buying an iPad Mini or not?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Underwater, May 28, 2013.

1. Underwater

Underwater Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Atlantis
    #1 Underwater, May 28, 2013
    Last edited: May 28, 2013
    Hey y'all! So guys, I need some advice from you.
    I currently have an iPod 4g, and I have been using it for around two years. Since a lot of games lately aren't compatible for my iPod 4g, I think it's time to upgrade to a newer device. I was thinking about an iPad Mini: Not too expensive, and the screen size is just fine. But still I'm hesitating to buy it, because there are a lot of rumors about the release of an iPad Mini 2 in Q3.
    The only rumors I heard are about the better screen, but the thing I'm afraid for, is that it maybe also has better software. If I buy one now, my iPad Mini will maybe get faster outdated than the iPad Mini 2, if the iPad Mini 2 has better software.
    So what do you guys think? Should I buy it with some risks included, or should a wait a couple of months for the iPad Mini 2?

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'd wait, but I love retina stupid amounts. It might only be a couple of months so you'll be kicking yourself if the improvements are significant.

3. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    iPad mini 2 will also have a better chipset and more ram, if retina is a given. I'd wait, it's only a few months.

4. mrbiggles

mrbiggles Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    depends what you can afford?

I also have two ipod touch 4g 64gb, works with most stuff...use for some apps/music etc.

sold my old ipad a while back and got a used iPad 2 wifi/3g 64gb... then got a 2nd used iPad 2 wifi/3g 64gb for me, wife + kids and i wanted more space! more of a ipad gamer then a ipod/iphone small screen gamer ;)

but i would say always go 64gb or 128gb if you can! i like having more space for my buck buying an older model vs settling with less GB on the newest model because of the cost.

5. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    I'd wait. You don't want your brand-new shiny iPad mini to be outdated by September.

6. SimianSquared

SimianSquared Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Game Developer
    England
    Always buy devices with stronger GPUs, devs love you for it as we can add more eye candy :p

7. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    #7 Coldar, May 28, 2013
    Last edited: May 28, 2013
    Release date getting close so I suggest waiting. I held off knowing I'd regret the early buy because the next has retina and (hopefully) other upgrades.

8. Enriana

Enriana Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    I had a similar quandary on whether to get an iPad Mini or wait. This was earlier in the year (February-ish), but I'm really glad I didn't wait, because every rumor of a release date would've had me twitchy when one didn't actually emerge.

That said, it's been several months now, so you're probably closer to an actual release date - and not rumors of rumors - plus I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that Apple's "typical" release time is late summer/early fall and announcements in June/July which is a much smaller gap to wait.

I didn't (and don't) regret buying mine when I did - yes, I'll be sad when retina comes to the iPad Mini, whenever that happens (is it confirmed for 2?) and I wish for more space - but I'd have been waiting months on the edge of my seat, instead of spending those months playing with my device.

This reply was bigger than intended, my advice boils down to: my experience/choice will vary from yours, you're probably better off waiting (if you can manage it) until you have more information.

9. laxking97

laxking97 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    I have also seen a lot of rumors saying that there won't be a new iPad mini till next year. It's all just a guessing game. I bought an iPad mini last Monday and I'm in love with it. I don't regret it a bit. When the next one comes, I can probably sell it for quite a bit, and buy the new one, for a bit more. I dunno though, its all based off of if you are will in to risk it, we can't really decide for you. I'm happy with my purchase though.

10. Underwater

Jul 27, 2012
    Atlantis
    Hehe, thanks for the great advices and opinions! :D Still a hard decision, but I guess I'll wait for the new iPad Mini, or at least when there is some news. I think the release can't be that far away, because Apple releases new stuff pretty frequently. I think you are right, that waiting is maybe better.

11. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I've had 3 iPod touches and eventually got an iPad 3 with 64GB, then, an ipad 4 with 128GB. It was totally the right thing to do and will keep me ahead of the pack for longer than the rest. It's bad-ass and I don't miss the small screen at all and always having problems both downloading new games and having enough space to keep them. None of that now! No matter what you do the next generation is right around the corner, though. All you can do is keep buying them or wish you did/could.

12. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    I want an iPad mini retina with 256Gb at least.

Anyway I'm happy the mini is selling so well because since it has the same specs as my iPad 2, it means devs will keep supporting both for quite some time :)

13. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    This. A device is only as "outdated" as there is lack of good software for it. I'm getting an iPad Mini in a week or so, and no speculating on what could come or not come any time soon is going to change my mind. But then again, this will be my first iPad and I have wanted one since they were first announced.

14. indalico

indalico Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    ohio
    I would get a mini over iPod touch.

The touch was great for an intro level device for getting into iOS. It just doesn't fit my needs anymore. I want a bigger screen as some of the apps are just too cramped for my liking.

15. Underwater

Jul 27, 2012
    Atlantis
    I agree with you. That's why I want to upgrade to a newer device, I'm having my outdated Touch for too long. I hope the new iPad Mini will come within a few months.

16. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Just "good"? Because retina makes good great.