Universal Spiraloid by Groo Gadgets (Beta ready for testing)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Groo Gadgets, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Groo Gadgets

Groo Gadgets Member

Feb 10, 2016
    Motion Graphic Artist
    Sydney, Australia
    #1 Groo Gadgets, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    I'm pleased to announce that our debut game Spiraloid is coming to the App Store February 9th 2017!

If you can't wait that long you will find it in soft launch in the following countries: Philippines, Malaysia, Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Sweden, Norway and Finland.

I would like to take the opportunity to thank all the beta testers who helped us out during development, Spiraloid is now a much better game thanks to you guys!

I can't wait to see what you guys think of the final game, in the meantime here's the launch trailer:

Attached Files:

2. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I filled out the form. It looks very intriguing. I look forward to giving feedback.

Billy

3. Grantlionheart

Sep 20, 2016
    Looks good so far, albeit rhythm games are my favourite genre so I might be a bit bias. :p Signed up to test.

4. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    I've started playing.

It's actually pretty damn good for being an early release. I haven't had any lag or any crashes. I'm running over 60 FPS.

I love the simple tap controls yet it's not that simple. You REALLY need to have that timing down. I'm going to give the game more testing and report back. This is just an initial impression so you know it's running properly on my device.

iPhone 6 running iOS 9.3.5

Billy

5. Groo Gadgets

Groo Gadgets Member

Feb 10, 2016
    Motion Graphic Artist
    Sydney, Australia
    Thank you for your feedback Billy! I've had a lot of comments on the difficulty, most people are finding it really hard but generally want to keep playing to try and go further. I am going to tweak the second jump so that it goes slightly further.

There will be powerups coming in the next update, i'm going to add a shield that protects you for a set duration and a gem powerup that turns all spikes ahead of you into gems.

Ohh and there will be another new level to buy with a new music track and level design. Imagine a "Stranger Things" themed spiral :)

Cheers,

Simon

6. Groo Gadgets

Groo Gadgets Member

Feb 10, 2016
    Motion Graphic Artist
    Sydney, Australia
    Hey everyone,

Here's a sneak peek of the update I have coming this weekend, new Orbs :)

Orbs_Render_01.jpg

7. RainO

RainO Active Member

Jun 13, 2016
    BD
    Beijing
    Cool graphics! I'm in just signed up :)

8. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    #8 LordShad0wz, Oct 16, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    Hi,

I apologize for taking so long to respond. I wanted to get more play time in.

First I was going to ask if you were going to add more balls and power ups lol. I swear. That's funny. Well those questions are answered.

People will always complain about difficulty. It's a hard needle to thread. See I'm an old school player. Sometimes I love bite your nails hard games and sometimes I like really casual experiences. This game is a little on the hard side. But honestly I wouldn't change it. It's what gives this game it's character. You need to tap that screen at the right moment and jump. And you need to tap it in the air at the right moment as well. If you don't you fail. It's one of those experiences where you need to play it a bit to get the hang of. But that is this games character. This is exactly what I like about it!

I love the art style. I love the spiraling courses. I'd like to see more dramatic color schemes in the courses. Are the different colors different difficulty levels? I was trying to see if one was harder than another but I wasn't sure.

Now let's get to monetization. I'm going to want to give you some money for this game. It's fun. I see you have gems as a currency. They are extremely extremely sparse in the levels and a lot of times I don't even see one.

So how will they be used? To buy new balls and spirals/courses?

If you put more on the courses you should put a gem doubler IAP that's restorable so I can buy that.

You should have opt in ads that we can view for gems.

If you have forced ads you need to have an IAP to remove them. I'd pay for sure.

What are your plans? How many courses will you have at launch? Also make sure we can share score to Twitter. I always share to Twitter and have a lot of iOS enthusiasts and devs on my account.

I haven't seen any obvious bugs or any glitches. The frame rates are excellent. No crashes. No issues whatsoever.

You've done a great job. I like this game! It's such a great concept and it's executed so well at this stage.

Billy

9. Groo Gadgets

Groo Gadgets Member

Feb 10, 2016
    Motion Graphic Artist
    Sydney, Australia
    #9 Groo Gadgets, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    Hey Billy,

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback!

I've just released a new beta that i'm sure you will love, here are the top features:

2nd Update!

* Added all 7 Orbs - New levels are coming soon but in the meantime you can play with all 7 Orbs and listen to their soundtrack. Each Orb will have their own unique level so using different Orbs on this only level won't be a feature of the final game.

* Power-Ups - There are two new power-ups featured. The first is a shield that protects you from all hazards for 8 seconds (two full rotations. The second is called Gem Mania and turns 10 sections in front of the Orb into gems! This feature will need to be unlocked and upgraded in the final game

Landscape Mode - This is still a work in progress (the store screen needs to be refreshed) but now you can play the game in landscape mode, gives you a far wider view than standard portrait although the both play exactly the same.

New Spiral Design - The spiral has been reworked and looks pretty darn sexy! ;-)

Difficulty Reworked - I've had a lot of feedback saying the game is just too hard so i've tweaked the gameplay to be a bit easier for beginners. It still gets pretty hard though! The new power-ups should help you to get higher scores.

As for monetization i'm going to go with opt-in advertising; watch ad to continue, watch ad to double earned coins, etc. There will be a coin doubler in app purchase in the guise of a Gold Orb, so the only way to play the level will be to buy the Orb. I will create a social sharing button that will include a screenshot of your score.

So glad you're enjoying the game so far, I promise you the best is yet to come!!!

Spiraloid_Beta2_1.jpg

Cheers,

Simon

10. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Very fun so far! Please add an iap to always include a free continue.

11. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Wow!

You really did a nice graphics pass on this update. It's like night and day compared to the previous build.

I need to really get into playing but I just had to say wow! Everything is bright and crisp and I love the designs and colors of the orbs.

Ok let me go dig in and see what the power ups do and how it flows and all of that.

As to the monetization. That sounds great. I'll buy the coin doubler for sure and I don't mind watching opt in ads if the rewards are good.

Maybe you can make 2 options.

Golden orb with x2 coins

Golden orb with x2 coins and 1 free continue

Make the second deal cost a dollar more.

Id do that deal for sure. And it is all restorable. So people who hate consumables will buy it.

You can also make a stand alone free continue IAP but make it cost $2 so then people will more likely do the deal and spend a little more. But since you really do get a good value for the money it's not a bad thing.

Ok let me go play. I'll be back.

Billy

12. Groo Gadgets

Groo Gadgets Member

Feb 10, 2016
    Motion Graphic Artist
    Sydney, Australia
    Thank you so much for your feedback Billy!

Glad you like the graphical update, every version will continue to look better than the last, especially the new levels.

I really like your monetization ideas, very close to what I have in mind myself. I do want to model the game of Crossy Road's system; you don't ever have to watch an ad if you don't want to but the rewards will be worth it. I personally buy a coin doubler if I really enjoy a game so giving extra value with a new Orb seems fair.

The next update will introduce at least one new level that you will need to purchase with gems so if you've already got some accumulated you will be able to buy it right away :)

Cheers,

Simon

13. Groo Gadgets

Groo Gadgets Member

Feb 10, 2016
    Motion Graphic Artist
    Sydney, Australia
    Hey everyone,

Just uploaded a video preview of the new level:

14. Groo Gadgets

Groo Gadgets Member

Feb 10, 2016
    Motion Graphic Artist
    Sydney, Australia
    Hey everyone,

I just released a new beta that finally adds two new levels! Go grab it and be sure to let me know what you think!

Screenshot_20161102-205056.jpg

Screenshot_20161102-210304.jpg

Cheers,

Simon

15. Groo Gadgets

Groo Gadgets Member

Feb 10, 2016
    Motion Graphic Artist
    Sydney, Australia
    Finally the 4th Update is ready to test!!

This is the biggest update yet and may be the last beta before release!

* Added a challenge system. This will be the core of the game. Currently there are 30 challenges for you to beat.

* Updated power-up system - you will need to buy the shield and gem mania power-ups. Buy them with the gems you collect and try to max them out.

* New Emerald level. This is the best looking level so far, but you're going to have to work for it! Both the Obsidian and Emerald levels need to be purchased.

* Continue system - You can now continue after you die by spending gems or watching ads.

That's pretty much it, please be sure to drop me a line if you find any bugs or have any suggestions to make the game better. Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Simon

16. Groo Gadgets

Groo Gadgets Member

Feb 10, 2016
    Motion Graphic Artist
    Sydney, Australia
    Hello everyone,

I'm happy to announce that Spiraloid will be released worldwide on February 9th!

If you can't wait that long you will find it in soft launch in the following countries: Philippines, Malaysia, Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Sweden, Norway and Finland.

Thank you all for your feedback during the beta period, I can't wait to hear your feedback on the finished game!

Cheers,

Simon

17. Groo Gadgets

Groo Gadgets Member

Feb 10, 2016
    Motion Graphic Artist
    Sydney, Australia