Cautious of App Sales

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by imdakine1, Jul 3, 2017.

1. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Fair warning... it appears to me that many games going on sale might not work on iOS 11. I'm not 100% sure but I've been taking inventory of my old games and many of them will not work if I upgrade to iOS 11.

Good luck and just wanted to warn some of you to think before you buy!

2. iXoDeZz

iXoDeZz Member

Feb 23, 2014
    I think it's a shame, that developers, that are not willing to update their games, try to make the last bit of money before the game is gone forever.
    A lot of people aren't aware of the iOS 11 'cleansing' so I think it would be fair, if there would be like a pop-up warning in the App-Store, right before you buy such an 32-bit game.

3. johnkittz

johnkittz Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2017
    Apple should have a popup warning stating which apps aren't iOS 11 compatible before buying it.

4. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Ok but how we know that some apps will NOT be updated for iOS 11 ? Many apps will probably be updated later on. Yeah it's true that some apps have not been updated for years BUT maybe in these last months will be updated...

5. jabbasoft

jabbasoft Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

Sep 29, 2012
    Yeah also mentioned on Discord channel.. e.g. Xcom down to a bargain £2.99 but as Shaun mentioned the dev isn't ever going to repackage for 64-bit so.... why aren't Apple including the "platform" info on their details pane so you can see if a 2014 app is 32-bit and unlikely to survive the IOS11 upgrade...

6. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I wonder if TA has asked Apple about why they are still selling 32-but games and apps. Or why they aren't including something on the App Store to at least indicate that "this app will no longer work" in iOS 11.

It's incredibly slimy to not at least give the heads up on things they are still selling. I'm sure they are going to be slammed with requests for refunds, etc., once iOS 11 goes live. Serves them right given that they have the ability to warn people.

But I would like to hear Apple's response if they were asked about it.

7. funem

funem Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Don't forget not all devices will update to iOS 11. With that in mind are Apple deleting them from the app store or making them unavailable for IOS 11 devices. Surely they should be leaving them so older devices are still able to download them again. Removing them because your not rocking the latest device is a bit under handed in my mind.

8. johnkittz

johnkittz Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2017
    Yeah I don't believe apple will be deleting the apps, they will just not show the apps within iOS 11 devices.

9. CookingPie

CookingPie Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2014
    I'm not so sure. I thought the whole reason why Apple is doing this is so they can get rid of all the old unsupported apps still lingering about.

My iPad is on ios9 and I might keep it there for the long haul.

10. funem

funem Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    I did read they were removing them from the app store. If they did this and they were not available for the older devices I think there would be an outcry.

11. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    I think the official reason is that supporting 32 bit apps on a 64 bit iOS has an overhead that slows the whole device down. Not sure how true that really is though.

12. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    I thought Apple just deleted 40,000 apps from the Chinese App Store. Unsure if it was due to iOS 11 or another issue. Either way I thought Apple intended to delete them as they were not following the App Store policy or something?

13. baconcow

baconcow Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2017
    In iOS 11, they cannot be found when searching the store. I don’t see why they would remove them from the iOS 10 or earlier stores, as the are still compatible on the OS’s. They should include a warning, for any potential buyer who might end up upgrading to iOS 11. It will be horrible, if they completely take them away from compatible devices.

14. rasterzone

rasterzone Active Member

Aug 2, 2016
    Software Engineer
    Michigan, U.S.
  15. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    I have at least 45 apps that will not be compatible with iOS 11 which is a total bummer!

16. funem

funem Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    I have an iPhone which I use for games and that has 107 out of 390 apps and games that will not work under iOS 11. Not sure why they just can't continue to warn you they are old. 32 bit apps run on other 64 bit systems fine just slower than if they were 64bit. I have an iPod that I just won't bother to update and put the apps on there after backing them up to my PC.

17. chuckfinley

chuckfinley Active Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Mojito bar

The problem is identifying whether apps are iOS 11 compatible BEFORE you buy them

18. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    This. I insist that Apple should put a red banner before the description stating that the current version of the app is 32 bits only, letting the buyer decide if they want to purchase or not.

19. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    Agreed. We need some warning before buying!

20. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    For example with SNK. I just bought their mega game pack, plus Fatal Fury Special and Blazing Star, which weren't in the pack. The only SNK games which are iOS 11 compatible are Garou and Fatal Fury Special. Curiously enough, out of those two, only Garou works with my Logitech Powershell. Out of the other games (all the Metal Slug, KOF97, KOF98, Samurai Shodown 2 and Blazing Star), all work perfect with the Powershell except Samurai Shodown 2, which hasn't got the buttons correctly mapped, but they are not iOS 11 compatible.

In a few words, this is a mess. Honestly, Apple should try better with this issue...