Kingturn RPG Plus (by Mangobile) - SRPG

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by undeadcow, Apr 18, 2013.

1. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    As a Champion hybrid does new Damios also have hit point regeneration; or is that just for "pure blood" Champion types?

2. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Mangobile. Designer & Developer
    Germany
    Damios has no hit point regeneration, but he has more hit points than the Champion and slightly better defense values.
    Combined with his First Aid skill and his high damage, there's not much too worry about him, especially if accompanied by a healer.

3. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I'm curious about the Grimlog Archer.

4. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    Grimlog Archer

Since AoE damage is covered by Grimlog Shamans quite well already, we've decided to let Grimlog Archers focus on single-target damage.

The design is straight forward:
    - 'Aimed Shot' as main skill
    - 'Meditate' to further boost the Grimlog Archer's Atk value while closing in on opponents.
    - The rest of the skills are passive, mainly focused on further increasing the Crit Chance (Precision) and Atk (Brutality)

Grimlog Archers can deal quite nasty damage at higher levels, especially in case of a critical hit.

Attached Files:

5. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I peeked at Kingturn Plus on a mobile device. One thing about the Kingturn series that strikes me is how each game has it's own "personality." Kingturn Plus seems the most light hearted of the bunch with more banter from rebellious central characters. Mangobile's certainly come a long way since Sword & Earrings...

...9.5 more days.

6. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    #66 niebau, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
    Hero - Belayne

Traditionally, our titles have both a female and a male protagonist, and Kingturn Plus is no exception.

Belayne is the commander of your troops, and she is usually right in the middle of where the battle is decided.
    Being a true Paladin in every regard, her strong will even enables her to heal several units at the same time, something that can usually be accomplished by Priests only.

But she is much more than just a supportive healer.
    With the right training and equipment, she can turn into a true power house later on.

Note: Unlike Sw&Ear where we didn't have any Priests, Priests will make their appearance later during the game.

Attached Files:

7. TinyKitty

TinyKitty Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2013
    House Elf
    #67 TinyKitty, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
    Thank you for that. :) Counting down to the release!

8. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #68 undeadcow, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
    [​IMG]

Is that dragon in the upper left playable?!?

Who is the centrally located unusual guy with the eye patch?

Skeleton archers hiding behind trees!
    +1, now that I have a daughter it's nice to see strong female role models when I can find them. I'll have to get her hooked on the Kingturn games.

...6 more days

9. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    The dragon-like creature is a blood-sucking bat, and the player will be pestered by these abominations in a few scenarios.
    In Kingturn Underworld (to be released in Sep / Oct this year), the player can finally take control of these and other 'lovely' creatures.

The brutish looking fellow with the eye patch is one of the main antagonists. Quite a mean guy, actually, and even the most peace-loving person will probably feel compelled to give him a good thrashing.
    His name is 'Taurus', by the way, which is the Latin word for 'bull'.

While the inhabitants of West Andaria (Kingturn main) have mainly western names, the folks living in East Andaria have mainly Latin names (Kingturn Plus, Kingturn Underworld).

10. Mephala

Mephala Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2013
    Ditto. I'm really happy Kingturn has strong female role models too. My daughter loves Nicolette (the pink hair helps) and while she is still too little to play the game by herself, she loves to watch while I explain the strategy to her and she helps to press the sword to attack or help me assign equipment. I am glad she sees the females as equal fighters and not helpless maidens in distress. Nicolette is the toughest and most powerful character in our campaigns. I surround Gregory and Blanche (the tanks) with Nicolette, Shila and Sibilla (the damage dealers) with Yvonne and Eugene flanking. The two guys are really outnumbered! Hopefully in a year she will be able to play all three games by herself. Looking forward to Kingturn Plus. Also wanted to say I love the Hurry Up button!

11. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    It's great to see the positive feedback concerning our female heroes.

And in regard of female role models with a strong mind and personality, you might enjoy Kingturn Plus and Kingturn Underworld even more.

In Kingturn Plus the Paladin Belayne is the key character in many battles, and story-wise she stakes her territory as the Captain of the 5th Royal Company from the very first moment.

And the necromancer Juliet in Kingturn Underworld ... well, let's just say she is in a league of her own.

12. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    2 more days...

"Fan favorite" X-com Enemy Unknown is also coming out the same day, that one will be a 2GB compressed download costing $19.99 featuring much fewer missions than any other platform it's on (as X-com is a cross platform port)... Kingturn Plus, at $3.99, couldn't ask for better competition among SRPG fans looking for a full tactical experience with plentiful content and a mobile device friendly interface. Years ago if someone told me I'd shrug off a X-com game in favor of any other brand I'd never have believe it but the Kingturn series games are modern day classics.

13. nestor

nestor Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Couldn't agree more! While I can't wait to play Kingturn Plus on Wednesday night, I don't even think I'll grab XCOM... :D

14. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    As I deleted Warhammer Quest for being a repetitive overly easy mess I couldn't help but wonder how much more competent a Warhammer video game would have been in the hands of developers like Mangobile. It's a shame to see some inferior turn based strategy games get more attention instead of the quality that is in the Kingturn series releases. At best games like Warhammer Quest might be a "gateway drug" to introduce new users to deeper more compelling SRPGs like Kingturn Plus.

This makes me that much more curious to see what Mangobile's next project is; although if Kingturn Underworlds is coming to iOS in September or October (yeah!) so it might be some time.

15. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    ^^^^^ +1. WQ is nowhere near as much fun as Kingturn.

Really getting excited for this release now. I know im guarenteed many hours of serious gameplay alongside a charming story with great characters.

So many releases but so many fail to have compulsive gameplay alongside a well written story with protagonists you actually end up caring about. This is what distinguishes the classics from the also ran's in the RPG genre imo.

16. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    #76 niebau, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
    And there I thought how lucky I was to be just an indie developer, and no one having high expectations anyway.

Well, I guess it's best to actively involve you guys in some of the design decisions of the Kingturn successor. Then there are less people who can blame us afterwards :).

17. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    For "Kingturn 2014" Mangobile will buy out the WHQ art team, and give us the great Kingturn gameplay and story with WHQ-level graphics :D

You know where to find us ;) great idea, by the way.

18. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
  19. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    I like the sound of it :).

Or even better ...
    - Brandon Sanderson and Joe Abercrombie write the story together
    - I license Kingturn 2 to Rodeo Games for an insolent price and let them do all the work
    - You guys (TouchArcade members) supervise the whole development process to make sure they don't do anything foolish
    - And I pay a visit to Far Far Away in the meantime

How does that sound?

This thread is closed soon, right?
    I really hope so :D