3.0 OS - Update and Compatibility

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by yeah yeah, Jun 15, 2009.

1. yeah yeah

yeah yeah Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    all, quick couple of questions. these past weeks, a lot of the big games dropped. real racing, star defense, the sims 3, etc etc...are all these games ready for 3.0? i mean, will these games at their current version be able to use the features of 3.0? i know a lot of these games were built around to use it (push notification, in-app purchasing, etc)...but is the functionality there? or will future update be needed at first? you know what i mean? are the features there, but just waiting for 3.0 to be released for the features to be unlocked in the current versions, or do we have to wait for an update for these apps to unlock that stuff. i remember reading that star defense is going to use in-app purchasing to purchase additional levels, but is that already in there...?

and last...current or older games/apps that haven't been tested for 3.0, could those have issues of not running or just not running well? i would hate that all the developers have to flood apple for approval on their apps when 3.0 rolls around.

2. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
  3. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    You can check in the appstore to see what is compatible

(tested on OS 3.0) will be near the firmware version of the game

Anything that doesn't run on 3.0 is being removed from the appstore until it's updated so it's incentive for the devs to get it working

The only games that have 3.0 functionality are Tap Tap Revenge 2 and Touchgrind.

The others (like star defense) need to be updated but those updates are already in Apple's hands

4. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Actually Star Defense was update with 3.0 functionality this weekend as were Assassin's Creed and Terminator Salvation among others. The updates are happening and you can expect a load of updates today and tomorrow.

5. yeah yeah

yeah yeah Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    nice nice. exactly what i needed to hear. so wow, all those apps/games are being removed? wow. what are the touch grind 3.0 functions?

6. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Oops, I meant to say "games that I have"

I checked itunes and it only says that they are now compatible. Do they actually have 3.0 features but aren't mentioning them?

7. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    3.0 can mean various things in terms of compatibility. With AC and TS for example, those won't be getting updates based on comments from the devs. Those are just fixes so you can still play them once the OS comes out.

8. mek

mek Well-Known Member

so should we not update to 3.0 if we have older games..that haven't been updated...ever..

or is it just that they will be kicked from the store
    ?

9. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    I couldn't honestly answer the latter part right now. But, I believe there are some technical issues that would impact games that are not 3.0 compatible. We've already seen this several times with sound and playability with the beta testers. Some games won't even run so this will depend on how stable 3.0 is at release.

10. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Make a list of older stuff that is good and I'll see what I have and i'll test it out

11. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    I look forward to 3.0, I think any app's you own already and have on iTunes are still useable but may not work correctly, but the online store will hide the 2.0 app's until they are fully 3.0 compatible. Fair enough.

Also it's kind of like an app list prune, people who upload simple or clone app's that forgot about them or filled the store with junk will have to make them all 3.0 compatible, and I can see a lot of pointless app's not being updated.