app disappears from AppStore??

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Stroffolino, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    I've already sent email to Apple, but I wanted to know if this has ever happened to another developer:

Card Shark Solitaire Deluxe, which was in top 5 Card Games the past few days, has suddenly disappeared from the US App Store - on my iphone, it's no longer appearing anywhere in the card games category, nor is it showing up even in search results for "card shark."

I have received no emails about it, and the app is still listed as "ready for sale" in itunes connect.

What kills me is that this app has been subsidizing all my other game development. I'm not looking for sympathy, but damn it's difficult to get momentum. Even if they correct whatever the problem is/was, there's no way it'll reappear in the same chart position it once had.

2. eJayStudios

eJayStudios Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Just in case double check available date in iTunes connect?

3. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

Wow, that sucks. Maybe you'll be getting some crazy copyright infringement e-mail with an explanation... here's hoping it's just a weird glitch. Good luck!

4. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah, that was one of the first thing I checked. I wish it was something that simple. I called a sibling in another state, and he confirmed that this is happening there, too. Oddly, at the moment, the app still appears to be available in itunes, and even the iPad AppStore. It's only the iPhone/iPod AppStore where it disappeared into thin air.

5. eJayStudios

eJayStudios Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    that sucks :(

Is there anything in your game that could be for copyright infringement?

6. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    For me, it is showing up in iPhone Apps and iPad apps... but only the lite version is showing up on the bottom of the first page in the card categories.

I sure hope that they get this fixed for you.

7. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    I once had a guy email me (and the author of Solitaire City, too, as it happens) that had threatened legal action for using the words "Solitaire" and "Deluxe" in my app title which he happened to have a trademark on. We both renamed out apps, and never heard from the guy again.

But no, every piece of art in the game is either licensed (using Card Shark revenue to pay for it) or public domain. If it was something like this, based on other folk's experiences, I'd have expected to have gotten an email first, and/or to have had the app removed from all stores (including iTunes and iPad AppStore, not just iPhone AppStore).

I'm quite sure that the bulk of my sales come from iPhone AppStore, so depending on how this sorts out, this could be an interesting confirmation of that theory.

8. ThunderGameWorks

ThunderGameWorks Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Did you forget to renew your license?

9. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Nope. I have lots of apps in the AppStore and it's only Card Shark Deluxe that is freaking out. It started showing up again around 11pm, only to disappear again later. It is back again, but for how long?

I have no idea why only Card Shark would be affected by this. The last update trickled out a week ago, and I have not yet made any changes since then. I'd love to hear an explanation from Apple when they finally get around to answering my email, but I'm not holding my breath.

10. bomber

bomber Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    #10 bomber, Apr 30, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
    I can confirm that the same happens to our GraalOnline Classic for many of our US players.

Update: seems to only affect universal apps for iPad+iPhone
    Update: apple says the bug has been fixed, can anyone confirm?
    Update: Sorry doesn't seem to be same problem as yours, but may be related

11. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Apple has not yet got back to me with any response/explanation.
    But I think you're right that whatever this glitch was only affected universal apps. They already filter ipad-only apps from the iphone AppStore, and it appears that for a window of time this past Thursday, some (all? most?) universal apps ended up being inadvertently filtered, too.

12. bomber

bomber Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    It seems Apple staff are actively watching the devforums.apple.com, so may be try your luck there.

13. jyhjyh

jyhjyh Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Denmark
    The game is named Card Shark Collection now.
    But in-game it's still Deluxe.

14. egarayblas

egarayblas Well-Known Member

I see Card Shark Collection too (both FREE and Paid) on my end.