iPhone Project Slender - development thread

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by jonmulcahy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. jonmulcahy

jonmulcahy Well-Known Member

I'm doing something different this time around, I'm going to have a development thread from the start of my game. This is the first preview video from my game Slender, an 8bit survival horror game. This is the completion of the movement and screen changes. I'm using some backgrounds from Quest for Glory 1 to help show movement. The red rectangles are walls.

This game is targeting Win8, Mac, iPad/iPhone, KindleFire/Nook and Surface.

stay tuned for more.

2. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

Looks interesting. Seems like a game where having some humorous dialogue would fit in well.

3. jonmulcahy

update 2

I've been writing up some prelim design docs this week inbetween working on some other projects and if I can pull off some of the logic and scripting, it should be a good game. the grid in the middle of the picture is a early map of the world.

I'm trying to make this game somewhat random so no two games are alike. The villian of the game will appear in random positions for each player, some of the goals will be randomly placed, and of course how the player dies / how the game handle's restarting. I'm keeping that a secret right now. I think it's pretty cool though.

Goals for this week:
    - Code some of the random happenings
    - Code player's death
    - Code villian's placement

That's all for now, I'll post another update in a week or so, or if I hit any major milestones.

[​IMG]

4. jonmulcahy

Some progress this week. I've got the final designs of the main character and his walk animation down. I've also got the final design of the villain. You can check them out below. I've got some progress on the game, but nothing I want to show right now since it's most of how the player dies. but it's coming along.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. jonmulcahy

another quick update. I worked on the inventory system tonight. I have a dynamic inventory system that places the item on the map at pre-randomly generated positions, but only in the order they can be found. After walking over the item the item appears in your inventory to use in the future.

6. jonmulcahy

some new artwork for today. I finally settled on the art style. The only bit of color in the game is the red tie. Everything else is in black and white. This is one of the Trees and the Well, and the two characters in there for scale and mood.

[​IMG]