Mind-Blowing Mobile App Development Facts You Need To Know

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by R3v, May 23, 2013.

1. R3v

R3v Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    CMO @ PIXEL FEDERATION
    Hello folks,

I have published a new article with interesting notes on mobile app development from the latest mobile dev and game conferences I attended. Enjoy :)

2. Tinytouchtales

Tinytouchtales Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany
    thanks, interesting read!

3. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    I'd be interested to see data behind this:

"A mobile app or game invitation sent via SMS has the highest k-factor compared to all other channels and this trend is even stronger in Latin America."

I don't know anyone who's ever sent or received a SMS invite, so this is surprising me. We actually put SMS invites on the back-burner for our latest game because 'No one ever does this'... now I feel like this might have been a mistake!

4. nick@Paintteh.com

May 20, 2013
    noob at painttehcastle.com
    That can be quite tricky for some games, because it can lead to visibility problems for game objects.

Thou, nice list.
    Thank you for that!

5. R3v

R3v Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    CMO @ PIXEL FEDERATION
    This was said last week on Mobile Gaming USA West conference in San Francisco during the panel about Latin America mobile gaming market. However, it doesn't mean SMS is the most effective UA tool - you cant bring such volumes of users via SMS as you can just via ad networks for example. However, they haven't presented any hard data :(

6. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Ah I understood K-Factor to be marketing speak for UA. After looking up K-Factor I begin to understand. It seems to do better with low volumes.

If I understand correctly, it's # of invites sent * % of invites accepted. If 1 invite is sent and 1 invite is accepted the k-factor is rather high. It doesn't mean that it's worth implementing.

Feature is back on the [nice to have if we're bored] list. Thanks for clarifying.

7. WeeAllan

WeeAllan Active Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Project Manager of Mobile
    Scotland
    We put SMS invites into one of our apps. It took off really well and currently outstrips Facebook and Twitter shares.

8. pat3ck

pat3ck Active Member

Wow. That's a lot of money. I know Clash of Clans is pretty popular, I just didn't know it could pull in that huge amount for them.

9. Hi,

Thanks informative article, it helps lots to android developers.

10. michaeldouma

michaeldouma Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Educational app dev
    Maryland, USA
    That's a surprisingly good list. One problem -- not with your list, but with the overall approach -- is that it's a hit-driven industry, and very few developers will ever get into the top 10. So I'm particularly interested in insights for the midlist.